Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 09:23 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times

Advertisements

Anybody can submit edits to Wikipedia. That is sort of the point. It is "crowd sourced".

Get a little perspective / keep some humor! The thread was started by someone that was only in Chicago for two years. Others are trying to help flesh it out. It makes sense to consider the "wisdom" of folks that are TRYING TO HELP...

Too many "recent transplants" never get to know the NW or SW side and even fewer understand the south side let alone the heart of the west side, misappropriating terminology won't help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 09:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Yeah, forgive me if I don't trust sources with maps calling Roseland and Morgan Park "Far Southeast Side" whatever the hell that is.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 AM

778 posts, read 998,436 times
I have no idea why anyone is talking about Chicago and Philly longitude.

I was referring to Utica being as far east as Philly. Thats it.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:02 AM

230 posts, read 385,988 times
Zzzz...

Old 04-02-2013, 10:09 AM

778 posts, read 998,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
Did you even read my post? I said west of Utica, not east of Utica.

Obviously Utica to Albany feels very New England/East Coast. I totally agree that the Mohawk Valley feels very different from the Midwest. Syracuse might be a better dividing point than Utica, but somwhere between those two would probably be the cutoff.

My point is that Western/Central Upstate NY (and Western PA, for that matter) is culturally closer to the Midwest than to the East Coast. The accents are the same, the ethnic backgrounds are the same, the regional quirks, the religious backgrounds, etc. The economic base is also basically the same.

Once you get closer to Utica (and definitely once you're closer to Albany), the feel is completely different, and more like NYC/Boston (different ethnicities, accents, economic base, etc.). All of Eastern Upstate NY is basically New England.

Yes, there are some differences too, and some exceptions. Ithaca and the Finger Lakes feels far more Northeast/New England, for example. But overall, Buffalo feels much more like Cleveland or Detroit than like NYC or Boston, and same goes for Western PA. I mean, Buffalo is almost as close to Chicago as it is to NYC. It wouldn't make any sense for it to have an NYC/Boston feel.
False.

Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse are ethnically and culturally tied to the Northeast. Its significantly Italian. (as much if not more % wise than NYC, Philly, Providence, Boston) Also Irish and Puerto Rican.

Religious backgrounds? No.

Its pretty well studied that the accents you get in Detroit, Chicago and Cleveland came from those who originally settled along the Erie Canal. Upstate NY doesnt have their accents, its the other way around.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:37 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
False.

Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse are ethnically and culturally tied to the Northeast. Its significantly Italian. (as much if not more % wise than NYC, Philly, Providence, Boston) Also Irish and Puerto Rican.
There is a significant Italian and Irish presence throughout the entire Great Lakes area. (Puerto Rican, too, at least in the case of Chicago.) If that's what it takes to be "culturally tied to" the Northeast, then Milwaukee, Chicago, South Bend, Kalamazoo, and Toledo qualify as much as Buffalo does.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:42 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Its pretty well studied that the accents you get in Detroit, Chicago and Cleveland came from those who originally settled along the Erie Canal. Upstate NY doesnt have their accents, its the other way around.
Does it matter where it started? It's the same accent (google Northern Cities Vowel Shift) either way. It exists throughout entire Great Lakes area, including Upstate NY, but not on the East Coast (except arguably Rhode Island and rural Massachussetts). I believe that was the point being made.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:43 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Wicker Park and Bucktown are considered Northwest side. And they're getting a bit more B1G-ish with each passing year. Still nothing like LV though.
Maybe it's because all the hipsters aren't wearing their college gear this year. Give it time though, they'll get out of the skinny jeans, button down flannel and be right back to the khakis and college sweatshirt get-up.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 AM

465 posts, read 872,666 times
Quote:
False.

Sorry, I disagree.

And I'm not really getting your "evidence". Louisiana has some of the highest proportion of Italians, by county, in the U.S. Therefore Louisiana is part of Northeast/New England?

And Northeast Ohio is very heavily Italian, higher than Upstate NY/Western PA. Why is this your criteria for "Northeast/New England"?

Chicago has a higher proportion of Puerto Ricans than Buffalo, Rochester, or Syracuse. So Chicago is Northeast, based on this?

Montana has a higher proportion of Irish than New York State. So Montana is Northeast?
Quote:
I don't care where it started; the fact is that the accents are similar. People in Buffalo sound like people in Cleveland or Detroit, they don't sound like people in Boston or NYC.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:54 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Maybe it's because all the hipsters aren't wearing their college gear this year. Give it time though, they'll get out of the skinny jeans, button down flannel and be right back to the khakis and college sweatshirt get-up.
OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago