Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2013, 08:12 PM

53 posts, read 104,043 times

Advertisements

1. How are you supposed to make a left turn from a side street onto a main thoroughfare with no traffic signal (e.g. Milwaukee ave from Sawyer near the logan square mcondalds) when it's busy. Especially when cars are parked all the way to the intersection and you can't see who is coming. Do you just block the crosswalk anyways in order to see better? Or do you do what I've seen some people do and pull out and make the entire lane traveling the opposite direction totally stop moving and block traffic until theres a gap in traffic in the lane going left? Or do you just do what I've been doing and give up and loop around the block instead, never making any left hand turns?

2. What the hell is up with the random holes in the roads that require you to slow down to 5mph to stop from damaging your car? Also why are there no lane markings on most of the roads around here? and would it kill them to paint something on the speed bumps on side streets so you can see them better?

3. Does the within 12 inches to curb parking rule apply to the front wheels, the back wheels, or either set?

4. When making a left at a traffic signal at one of those big multiple point intersections is it proper to only let one person making an unprotected left into the intersection at a time? and stay behind the crosswalk until they complete their turn? That's what I've been doing. I don't want to get stuck out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 08:32 PM

498 posts, read 978,646 times
1. I don't know the intersection you're talking about, but if there's no light I just wait til it's clear (sometimes takes a while), or if I can't actually see if I'm clear without blocking the road, I'll play it safe and try to get on the road from a different spot. Whatever it takes I try not to block traffic whenever possible.

2. Non-main roads here suck. Most roads with lanes have lines, but in a lot of places they're so faded that it's very hard to tell. Speedbumps that I've seen usually have some kind of notification, whether paint or a sign.

3. I'm not sure what rule this is. I'm the worst parallel parker in Chicago and I've never been ticketed for being too far from the curb, and no one's hit my parked car yet.

4. That's what I do to. I HATE HATE HATE HATE those douchebags who pull into the middle of an intersection and are stuck sitting there blocking the way when the light turns. Waiting behind the crosswalk til you're clear takes about three extra seconds and saves other drivers a headache.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:44 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,445,845 times
Instead of making a left turn across a major thoroughfare many driving safety courses recommend a series of right turns to circle a block and then come straight the thoroughfare. So long as you account for one-way streets this usually works out OK in Chicago as the vast majority of the regular grid is easy to navigate.

Potholes are largely due to lax maintenance of roadways during our freeze-thaw cycles. Those potholes will destroy the wheels & suspension of vehicles in a very accelerated manner. Although the speed humps that Chicago has put on some streets to reduce cut through traffic / artificially slow speeds are uncomfortable they ought not do any damage.

Neither your front nor rear wheels are supposed to be more than one foot from the curb. Cops generally won't ticket a vehicle for this violation unless it is WAY WAY over the limit or the vehicle has multiple obvious violations (obscured windsheild, lack of registration)

Old 12-26-2013, 10:07 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,181,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romnation View Post
4. When making a left at a traffic signal at one of those big multiple point intersections is it proper to only let one person making an unprotected left into the intersection at a time? and stay behind the crosswalk until they complete their turn? That's what I've been doing. I don't want to get stuck out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
4. That's what I do to. I HATE HATE HATE HATE those douchebags who pull into the middle of an intersection and are stuck sitting there blocking the way when the light turns. Waiting behind the crosswalk til you're clear takes about three extra seconds and saves other drivers a headache.
I don't know what you mean by "multi-point," but it's not only legally allowable, it's the recommended process when turning left at an intersection without a left-turn arrow to pull into the intersection during a green so you are prepared to turn left when either it's clear or the light changes.

I cannot stand drivers who don't know that - didn't you ever take driving lessons or read the Rules of the Road manual? As far as I'm concerned drivers who don't know rules like that should lose their licenses.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:18 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,275,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I don't know what you mean by "multi-point," but it's not only legally allowable, it's the recommended process when turning left at an intersection without a left-turn arrow to pull into the intersection during a green so you are prepared to turn left when either it's clear or the light changes.

I cannot stand drivers who don't know that - didn't you ever take driving lessons or read the Rules of the Road manual? As far as I'm concerned drivers who don't know rules like that should lose their licenses.
AND it's inconsiderate because it prevents 1-2 more cars from being able to turn left.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:22 PM

255 posts, read 584,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
AND it's inconsiderate because it prevents 1-2 more cars from being able to turn left.
Yep. And then there are the times you end up behind someone in the left lane who will not pull out into the intersection at all until the oncoming lane is completely clear, so you end up stuck behind them for multiple green lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago