Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:15 AM

467 posts, read 874,697 times

Advertisements

I am used to public transportation but in Chicago driving is a must, unless you never venture outside of downtown. Driving in Chicago however, can be a really a frustrating experience. I am observing this for a while and it seems that some of the bad habits are so widespread they became a norm. Can someone enlighten me why is this happening?

1) not using turn signals when making turns on city streets and changing lanes on highways

2) not keeping up with traffic, it seems that most motorists here never heard of that common sense rule

3) slow driving in the left lane even though all other lanes are open

4) making left turns that hold traffic hostage i.e. pulling to the center of the street from a side street in an effort to make a left turn

5) not using headlights in the rain and snow

6) running red lights when making left turns right after the light changes

What is going on? Where are the cops to enforce the laws???

Thanks,

Old 01-23-2009, 11:20 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times
#4 and #6 are common features of big city driving (especially without dedicated left-turn signals.) In some intersections, waiting politely for a clear lane and a green light means you'll be waiting for 30 minutes.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:23 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,515,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
I am used to public transportation but in Chicago driving is a must, unless you never venture outside of downtown.
Not true. It can be challenging sometimes though, for sure.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:24 AM

838 posts, read 3,098,492 times
Lincoln Park is not downtown and plenty of ppl here do not drive. Where did you get "driving in chicago is a must" from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
I am used to public transportation but in Chicago driving is a must, unless you never venture outside of downtown. Driving in Chicago however, can be a really a frustrating experience. I am observing this for a while and it seems that some of the bad habits are so widespread they became a norm. Can someone enlighten me why is this happening?

1) not using turn signals when making turns on city streets and changing lanes on highways

2) not keeping up with traffic, it seems that most motorists here never heard of that common sense rule

3) slow driving in the left lane even though all other lanes are open

4) making left turns that hold traffic hostage i.e. pulling to the center of the street from a side street in an effort to make a left turn

5) not using headlights in the rain and snow

6) running red lights when making left turns right after the light changes

What is going on? Where are the cops to enforce the laws???

Thanks,

Old 01-23-2009, 11:34 AM

170 posts, read 536,307 times
I hardly EVER go downtown, and yet busses and the L serve me wonderfully.

Unless you're just of those who considers city limits to be "downtown."

Old 01-23-2009, 11:39 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,963,505 times
I think Chicago is one of the few places where driving is not a must. I do own a car but Im sure I would be fine without one, I only drive it once a week or so anyways.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:53 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,469,474 times
7) The need to drive like an f--- a--hole on Lower Wacker! What is it about that road that makes some people want to go 30 MPH over the speed limit anyway? Is it that the tunnel reminds some people of Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec or something? Jeez. Bad road to speed on because of all the blind curves and the delivery trucks which park in the right lane in the morning. They're not supposed to do it but the cops apparently let it go on.

I recently had a guy play "chicken" with one of these delivery trucks in order to get around me. I usually don't let people do this but here, honestly, if I hadn't nearly slammed on my brakes, he'd have hit the back of the truck and killed the guy unloading it and probably himself. I wanted to pull over and bash his skull in with a piece of concrete. And believe me, this was far from an uncommon occurrence. Eventually, someone is going to get hurt or killed because of this.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:47 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
7) The need to drive like an f--- a--hole on Lower Wacker! What is it about that road that makes some people want to go 30 MPH over the speed limit anyway? Is it that the tunnel reminds some people of Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec or something? Jeez. Bad road to speed on because of all the blind curves and the delivery trucks which park in the right lane in the morning. They're not supposed to do it but the cops apparently let it go on.

I recently had a guy play "chicken" with one of these delivery trucks in order to get around me. I usually don't let people do this but here, honestly, if I hadn't nearly slammed on my brakes, he'd have hit the back of the truck and killed the guy unloading it and probably himself. I wanted to pull over and bash his skull in with a piece of concrete. And believe me, this was far from an uncommon occurrence. Eventually, someone is going to get hurt or killed because of this.
It's the fault of the Blues Brothers.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:56 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
The OP is a troll, and should be ignored.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:11 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,469,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
It's the fault of the Blues Brothers.
LOL Maybe some of these guys could also try the jump the Illinois Nazi's made off that bridge. That wouldn't bother me one bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago