Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:13 PM

467 posts, read 874,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post

I'm not saying "Get out!" or anything. I just don't know why someone would live in a place they dislike. There are lots of places in this country and beyond. Pick one you enjoy. Chicago isn't for everyone. .
Wow. And this is from someone who is a transplant? Are you trying to prove your loyalty? Get accepted?
I live here in Chicago but I am trying to cope with some things and hoping some will change with time. Am I not entitled to an opinion if it is a negative one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
For what it's worth, I disagree with you on your characterization of Chicago drivers. I find driving in suburban areas and smaller cities (esp down South) MUCH more infuriating.
I am not talking about drivers in the South or small towns in Wisconsin.
Driving in a small town is very different than driving in a big city.
My observations are first hand, based on daily driving in the city, if you don't believe me go on any highway and count cars that signal lane change.... It's no optional. It's the law.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:16 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
I have a news flash -- Every single place in the world has bad drivers. Americans are fabulous drivers in comparison to what you find in much of the rest of the world.

You acclimate, you learn the "rules" and you do the best you can. Or, don't drive at all.

This is not a Chicago-specific complaint. It's just not.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
If you do not turn left on red, you will not ever turn left, backing up surface street traffic all the more.

But really, it doesn't make a difference. It's a common and accepted practice at major intersections w/o left turn arrows. Once you get a green light, you'll need to wait a few seconds for the left turning cars to clear the intersections.
You are kidding me, right? Green light is a green light and means you should be able to proceed. You are driving on a street the light turns green ahead of you and you should not have to stop to make sure everyone made his left turn jump. Making a turn after the light turns red is an infraction for which you can get a ticket from a cop or through the camera, unless you are already in the middle of the intersection.
Any Chicago cops here?

Old 01-23-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I have a news flash -- Every single place in the world has bad drivers. Americans are fabulous drivers in comparison to what you find in much of the rest of the world.

You acclimate, you learn the "rules" and you do the best you can. Or, don't drive at all.

This is not a Chicago-specific complaint. It's just not.

aragx6,

You have never been to Europe, have you? Back to the topic, it is Chicago specific complaint as I found driving in other big American cities much easier and can't understand why Chicago is so bad in this department and why CPD is not acting...

Old 01-23-2009, 02:25 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
Wow. And this is from someone who is a transplant? Are you trying to prove your loyalty? Get accepted?
I live here in Chicago but I am trying to cope with some things and hoping some will change with time. Am I not entitled to an opinion if it is a negative one?
You're entitled to every opinion. The fact that I'm a transplant underscores my point. I moved to a place I enjoy. I'm just saying that it might behoove you to do the same if you're unhappy. That's all.

Quote:
I am not talking about drivers in the South or small towns in Wisconsin.
Driving in a small town is very different than driving in a big city.
My observations are first hand, based on daily driving in the city, if you don't believe me go on any highway and count cars that signal lane change.... It's no optional. It's the law.
And I'm not talking about small towns either. I'm talking about smaller cities. (I've never driven in NYC or LA, the only two cities that aren't "smaller". I've been WITH people who drove in those cities and saw about the same level of driving...) I specifically am talking about places like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh etc...

Old 01-23-2009, 02:33 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
The City-Data forum has convinced me that there's a special circle in Hell for people who move to a new town and procede to bash it on the premise that it's not exactly the same as the place they came from.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:40 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
aragx6,

You have never been to Europe, have you? Back to the topic, it is Chicago specific complaint as I found driving in other big American cities much easier and can't understand why Chicago is so bad in this department and why CPD is not acting...
I guess you've never driven in Boston or NYC, right?

Old 01-23-2009, 02:46 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:
Where I live (Irving Park) to use public transportation I would have to walk 15 minutes, take a bus for about 20 minutes and then take L downtown for 45 minutes. The bus only goes during the day. Taking the bus all the way downtown would take even more time. And this is only commute to work. What about going to the beach, movies, department store, doctor?
You have to drive in Chicago and you know it when you look at the traffic.
There is a lot of people with no viable alternative.
If you live in Irving Park I don't understand how the L takes 45 minutes, if you're getting on at Addison or Irving Park blue line... unless you're going over to the Brown Line? It takes 45 minutes to get to the Loop from O'hare (my brother and I timed it when he was in town. )

Old 01-23-2009, 02:46 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
aragx6,

You are good at picking the pieces that fit your arguments. India, Pacific Islands, Mexico all AWFUL drivers, terrifying really. They have their own rules, their own way of doing things, and while I would most certainly die if I tried to drive there, the drivers who live there know how to do it.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:53 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
You are kidding me, right? Green light is a green light and means you should be able to proceed. You are driving on a street the light turns green ahead of you and you should not have to stop to make sure everyone made his left turn jump. Making a turn after the light turns red is an infraction for which you can get a ticket from a cop or through the camera, unless you are already in the middle of the intersection.
Any Chicago cops here?
If you don't pull into the intersection you'll never be able to complete a left hand turn. But if you pull into the intersection, you'll likely not complete the turn until the light turns red.

If you want to live in a place where every intersection has a dedicated left turn lane w/turning arrows, move to the burbs.

It takes only an iota of common sense to figure out why people have to turn left on red, and how you can avoid an accident. You wait a few seconds until the intersection is clear.

By the way, the 80 bus runs until midnight. If you're out past then, take a cab.

More importantly, move to the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago