Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:30 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,278 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Chicago from Indianapolis for my job. And I have to say, Chicago has been everything I thought it would be and more. But I'm missing something. Something very near and dear to me.

Colts football.

Currently we don't have TV (and don't plan on having it in the near future) and football will kick off here soon. So what am I to do? I have been exploring many neighborhoods, and so far I have only found one place that I may be able to call "Home" on Sundays and the occasional Monday night. It was a bar on Clark street just south of Addison. I can't remember the name, but it had a banner out front in blue and white that said "Colts fans welcome" and listed game specials.

Is this my best bet for watching Peyton dismantle the competition? Or are there other bars around that I don't know about that cater to the Indy crowd and make a point to show the Colts play?

I know a lot of places have the Direct Ticket, but I want to be able to hear the game as well, not only see it on the screen.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I will cheer and support the Bears as long as I live here... and as long as they don't play the Colts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 06:02 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,080 times
Up until a week ago (upon relocation for work), I was a 13 year Chicago resident who grew up in Indy as a Colts fan. The bar you are referring to is called Mullen's, and yes, that is your best bet. This is where I watch when I'm allowed by the fam to get out of the house on Sunday, including the last two Colts SB apperances.

You will find smaller gatherings of Colts fans here or there, but Mullen's is definitely the biggest regular gathering.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
Up until a week ago (upon relocation for work), I was a 13 year Chicago resident who grew up in Indy as a Colts fan. The bar you are referring to is called Mullen's, and yes, that is your best bet... including the last two Colts SB apperances.

You will find smaller gatherings of Colts fans here or there, but Mullen's is definitely the biggest regular gathering.
Good deal. Is it a pretty decent place (price/environment/patrons)?

I think I will have to take time off work to make it back to Indy in early February for the Super Bowl. It will be crazy. Looney Tunes if the Colts are actually IN the Super Bowl. I couldn't miss it.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:12 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times
Mullen's is definitely a great choice. There are quite a few other bars that do show Colts games with sound, especially if there isn't a Bears game going on at the same time. Pick up a Reader and look through the ads in it. I'm sure you'll find quite a few showing Colts games.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:22 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
It is incredible that the Midwest gets to host the Super Bowl again (Indy this time) after Detroit had it a few years ago. I think that many football fans and sports fans in general would love to have the opportunity to relish the weekend in Indy regardless of who ends up in the final showdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Good deal. Is it a pretty decent place (price/environment/patrons)?

I think I will have to take time off work to make it back to Indy in early February for the Super Bowl. It will be crazy. Looney Tunes if the Colts are actually IN the Super Bowl. I couldn't miss it.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
It is incredible that the Midwest gets to host the Super Bowl again (Indy this time) after Detroit had it a few years ago. I think that many football fans and sports fans in general would love to have the opportunity to relish the weekend in Indy regardless of who ends up in the final showdown.
I think the biggest complaint with the Super Bowl being in Indy this year is that it's cold. And it's Indiana, not Florida or California. But I think people will be pleasantly surprised with the city once they get there (and if it's not bitterly cold).

It's a very compact downtown, very walkable. Hotels, dining, drinking, museums, shopping are all within reasonable walking distance.

Plus if everything goes to plan, there's going to be a covering over Meridian Street (the State Street of Chicago, that is, divides the city East/West) that will have heat lamps above so it won't be too bad walking around.

But back on topic. Is Mullens usually a happening place on game day? That is, do I have to show up hours before the game to get a seat/table?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:18 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
I don't think you will have a problem finding bars to watch Colts games here. About 25% of the northside neighborhood population seems to be from Indiana.

Welcome to Chicago!

Old 08-31-2011, 09:11 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,569 times
25% seems very high. I meet far more Michigan peeps than Indi.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:09 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
I was exaggerating, but there are Indiana plates all over my nabe, along with IA, MI, WI, OH and MO.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:53 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
25% seems very high. I meet far more Michigan peeps than Indi.
There are alot of Michigan Transplants in and around Chicago

Dont worry about catching a colts game as it has a national following because the team was so good for so long , and who doesnt like to watch p. manning
the guy is a legend.

I was over in Schererville, IN last winter and they had the games on at bw3

I know its a chain restaurant but the beer is icy cold and cheap!

b but they had colts fans mixed in with more bears fans but they had the game on

if you like sports you will love chicago as we have a great sports town
obviously your aware but we have every professional team which indy lacked
baseball, hockey- no 500 but if your a car guy then joliet has some races
chicagoland speedway couldnt really tell you anything about the place other than i know its in joliet

good luck with your move and look forward to seeing your posts around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago