Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 01:52 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times

Advertisements

I like Troy, NY. I think it would be quite nice if the bottom hadn't fallen out there decades ago. But I tend to like the grittier northern cities, and I particularly like east coast cities.

Yeah, I thought the claims about economic growth were strange, but I haven't been to this area is many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 02:00 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I like Troy, NY. I think it would be quite nice if the bottom hadn't fallen out there decades ago. But I tend to like the grittier northern cities, and I particularly like east coast cities.

Yeah, I thought the claims about economic growth were strange, but I haven't been to this area is many years.
The Albany area is an example of old-fashioned America, with some grit ( not entirely, though). People in the NE tend to overlook it, in favor of NYC, Boston, Philly,etc, but it does have a very long history ( Albany became a city in 1686), and the Capital District was an early manufacturing hub, all the way into the post-WW2 era ( hence the GE prominence). However, it also has the reputation of being rather staid, especially for a major state's capital ( although affordable), and it doesn't change very quickly ( it had the same mayor for 40 years, downtown is pretty dead after 5, and nothing is ever new there, etc.) In all, it's not a bad place, but it's not the first place one thinks of relocating to.....

Let's face it: all the cities west of Boston on I-90 tend to be very similar--in essence, a combination of old industry and educational ( state/Catholic) institutions; they even look the same after a while: Worcester, Springfield, Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Pittsburgh ( close enough!), Cleveland, Toledo, Chicago ( and Milwaukee).

After a while, it makes you wish for a little "California deamin'"...and something a little more modern..

Old 04-03-2013, 02:18 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
After a while, it makes you wish for a little "California deamin'"...and something a little more modern..
To each their own. I like living in a place where the layers of history can be seen, and you feel that you are part of the continuum of human existence. New places don't hold my interest.

I would actually really like to live in a city the size of Troy with that dense, east coast urban fabric, but would need it to be vibrant and economically healthy. And like I said, my wife and I need to be near some industries that only exist in the largest cities. Really, we need to be in Chicago, and won't be moving any time soon.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:39 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
To each their own. I like living in a place where the layers of history can be seen, and you feel that you are part of the continuum of human existence. New places don't hold my interest.

I would actually really like to live in a city the size of Troy with that dense, east coast urban fabric, but would need it to be vibrant and economically healthy. And like I said, my wife and I need to be near some industries that only exist in the largest cities. Really, we need to be in Chicago, and won't be moving any time soon.
I don't mind living in "old" cities,as I have done so for most of my life. But the contrast between say, Boston, and LA, is striking, particularly when the weather is nice and the sun is shining. I do remember my first visit to LA many years ago, and the scenery, with the constant sunshine, wide boulevards and palm trees forming a perfect arc over streets, definitely having an impact on me..

Of course, if you have this experience on a daily basis for many weeks/months/years, the excitement fades..

I imagine that you could have a decent career in Boston, but there's no reason to subject yourself to such a ridiculous cost-of-living..

Old 04-03-2013, 03:51 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Let's face it: all the cities west of Boston on I-90 tend to be very similar--in essence, a combination of old industry and educational ( state/Catholic) institutions; they even look the same after a while: Worcester, Springfield, Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Pittsburgh ( close enough!), Cleveland, Toledo, Chicago ( and Milwaukee).

They don't call it The Rust Belt for nothin'. I hear what you're saying, but I would argue that Chicago and to a lesser extent Pittsburgh have a more modern urban appeal that the rest of those are missing.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:02 PM

778 posts, read 998,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
So according to you, the coasts are pretentious and overpriced, now everything between Chicago and New York is bleak and hopeless. So, I guess theres little reason to experience life outside Chicago huh.

The coasts are pretentious and overpriced.

Not sure how that changes the proximity factor though. Utica is closer to more interesting major cities.

Youre trying to make a point here, and youre really not actually.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
Accent
Ethnicity
Culture
Economy
Home Prices
Population Trends
Economic Base
Weather
Great Lakes
Elevation
Vegetation

etc. etc.
Ethnicity? Show me the stats.

Culture? Again, show me. Do people in Trenton walk backwards vs Buffalo walking forwards? I dont get it.

Economy? Show me.

Home prices? What the ****? Youre not serious are you? These arent constants, these fluctuate. Its not something discernable or permanent like the climate between Miami and Seattle. What happens if they both are 200,000 for a median sale? Oh, theyre suddenly similar again. What?

Weather? Last I checked, they both have 4 seasons and winter, regardless of severity. Winter sucks in both places.

Elevation? What is this ****?

Vegetation? What is different? Buffalo is a desert and Trenton is a tropical rain forest? What is the difference?

Honestly, thats a laughable response. If youre gonna make these pretty bold statements, back them up. Show me examples.

Thus far, you have just been incredibly vague.

Saying "pop", and averaging more snow is not enough for a major difference between the two. Those are really the only difference between the two, and ive spent AMPLE time in both cities.

Youre trying really hard to make Buffalo and Trenton out to be like comparing NYC and LA.

Aside from a few minor differences, its nothing that major.

You really think Buffalo and Trenton are significantly different to people from El Paso or Honolulu? Really?

Last edited by Heyooooo; 04-03-2013 at 05:19 PM..

Old 04-03-2013, 05:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
Syracuse is pretty beautiful, though. Finger Lakes? Ithaca? North Country? Thousand Islands?

I mean, no offense, but there's far more natural beauty within two hours of Syracuse than in basically the entire Midwest. And if you want cities, you're an easy drive to NYC, Boston, and Toronto.

If Syracuse is Pyongyang, then I don't know what to call most of the Midwest. Pluto? I mean, Syracuse looks like Paris compared to Fort Wayne, Flint, or Dayton.
But I don't live in Fort Wayne, Flint, or Dayton. And four hours to NYC, Boston, or Toronto may seem easy to you, but the drive to Chicago is a lot easier for me: I put my car in gear, move it 5 millimeters, and I'm there.

What's wrong with Fort Wayne anyway?

Old 04-03-2013, 05:21 PM

Syracuse is as much a **** hole as Detroit or Flint.

Its got the worst weather in the country. Its extremely cloudy and it averages the most snow for cities above 100,000+.

The whole city is miserable to be in and disgusting to look at.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
Syracuse is as much a **** hole as Detroit or Flint.

Its got the worst weather in the country. Its extremely cloudy and it averages the most snow for cities above 100,000+.

The whole city is miserable to be in and disgusting to look at.
And yet I found that starting rent for a decent apartment in a decent neighborhood isn't that much lower than here. I realize it's a college town and all, but is there some kind of building restriction or other artificially-created housing shortage there or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago