Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
"Nah bro! Its New York! I watch movies man! I know what its like!"
Naw Mr. Carson has just been watching too much Sex and the City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 02:24 PM

778 posts, read 998,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carson View Post
Pretty much every ****ing thing about NCY is better than Chicago !! The housing, the shopping, the food, the people that live there hands down!!! Hahaha kool-aid?!?!?!? That facts I stated are definitely true! The crime in Chicago blows NYC outta the water!!

And you know this through your lengthy two week stay in NYC. Hilarious. You havent stated facts, youd stated opinions based on a two week visit.

Housing is better? In what facet? Youll be living amongst more people, which isnt necessarily a positive, and youll be paying much more for much less.

All the best.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:25 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,937 times
No pretentious midwest racist bull****. The black people in New York are intelligent, aware, and have a sense of worldliness to them unlike the Chicago blacks who are either ghetto/ignorant or poser wannabe buppies who are really a little ghetto deep down but close minded nevertheless. I blame most of this on the segregation of the communities. Enough of this cities disgust.

I could have said this better myself. If you do not fit into any of this catergories as a black person you are screwed.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:28 PM

Theres a different NYC from what you get in the movies. A very different NYC, that is IMO more NYC than what the movies put out, and im sure most other people who have lived in the city would agree.

90% of these movies concentrate on a very rich white-centric lifestyle in Manhattan, that simply is not the reality for the vast majority of the city.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
No pretentious midwest racist bull****. The black people in New York are intelligent, aware, and have a sense of worldliness to them unlike the Chicago blacks who are either ghetto/ignorant or poser wannabe buppies who are really a little ghetto deep down but close minded nevertheless. I blame most of this on the segregation of the communities. Enough of this cities disgust.

I could have said this better myself. If you do not fit into any of this catergories as a black person you are screwed.

Yet between the two, today most popular AA culture is either equal or more stems from Chicago than NYC.

Youre really selling the Southside short because of crime. Racism and segregation are just as prevalent in the NY metro and is no better.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:44 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
I don't know man. I think it can be stressful in either place, but I'm back en route to the Midwest from a weekend in NYC & I will tell you that the crowds & hustle bustle even during a leisure weekend can get exhausting in the Big Apple. Provided you have $, there are a ton of cultural events constantly taking place in NYC to a degree that is not possible elsewhere, however. The living amenities you get in NYC are pretty poor compared to what you can get in Chicago for the same $ amount. Properties there are generally a lot older.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:24 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carson View Post
Women- Flat out...women in New York blow Chicago out of the ****in water. I am still in total disbelief of how many gorgeous women I witnessed in a 2 week period, unbelievable. Where Chicago has many pretty caucasian women, average hispanic women, and ok looking black women... NY has GORGEOUS women of all ethnic groups (Jamaican, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Belize, Black, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, European) with fairly decent attitudes. The hispanic women in NY will make one file for divorce and rethink his life plan. And I couldnt get enough of those Italian gals from Staten and Jersey...mm mmmm

Racism/prejudice- Now this is the reason I am ready to abandon this city. Throughout my visit to New York, I for once in my life felt like a man and not a "black man"....catch my drift. In Chicago, racism and prejudgement is par for the course, you WILL be judged by race and being that the bulk of the Chicago population are really transplants from suburban Chicago and other midwest cities most of the non-black people have never dealt with black people before moving here, therefore you get treated according to their cultural ignorance. Chicago is a "white" city and you are reminded of it every single day. Where as New York is a world city, there is no one ethnic group that has dominant influence. In Chicago if you arent a "Chad/Trixie" or a yuppie you get no respect, there is a low tolerance for differences in this city. But the New York caucasians completely changed my attitude towards white people, they are ****in REAL, down to earth, and truly sincere!!! They have a respect for black culture and can hold a converstion about hip-hop with the best of them. No pretentious midwest racist bull****. The black people in New York are intelligent, aware, and have a sense of worldliness to them unlike the Chicago blacks who are either ghetto/ignorant or poser wannabe buppies who are really a little ghetto deep down but close minded nevertheless. I blame most of this on the segregation of the communities. Enough of this cities disgust.

Food-New York has great restaurants all across the board from fine dining to corner vendors. The NY hotdog imo is superior to the Chicago hotdog and the fact that you can still get one on any corner Manhattan makes it a winner in my book. But the thing that make NY better than Chicago foodwise is the fact that you can find a variety of mom and pop kind of delis and mini restaurants all over of different ethnicities, where in Chicago all we seem to have is franchises all over 6000 Subways and Chipotles with nothing to balance it out.

Shopping- LMAO!!!!!Soho alone blows out Chicago as a whole...just my opinion.

Housing- New York has a modern feel where as Chi Town is old and the forefront old.

Did I mention women? Yea I did, what the hell...those NY women are definitely worth another go. And there all over unlike Chicago where you may see a beautiful one every 20 minutes downtown, NO they are all over the ****ing place and on every corner.

The best thing about NY is that people dont ****ing constantly judge your every move and you feel a sense of freedom because nobody really gives a ****. whereas Chicago if you do, say or wear what people consider "wrong" you will be rejected/shunned.

So thats my asessment of NY. Final analysis......New York is a wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better city than Rahm's Cow we know as Chicago.
I'm glad to read that NYC is better than Chicago.

I'm from St Louis originally and lived in Charlotte Durham Memphis and now Chicago. None of them are really all that when it comes to Black progressive types.

My question is is there really a progressive black city or any place that has a dominant progressive culture for blacks besides New York?

Old 01-21-2013, 07:32 PM

140 posts, read 183,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I'm glad to read that NYC is better than Chicago.

I'm from St Louis originally and lived in Charlotte Durham Memphis and now Chicago. None of them are really all that when it comes to Black progressive types.

My question is is there really a progressive black city or any place that has a dominant progressive culture for blacks besides New York?
I always thought the mid-south states like North Carolina and Virginia were the main destination for professional blacks. Same goes for Atlanta. What was your problem in Durham and Charlotte?

Old 01-21-2013, 07:48 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,557 times
Mr. Carson - Housing- New York has a modern feel where as Chi Town is old and the forefront old.

Maybe you were just on the outside looking in. Most of New York is turn of the century buildings with small, chopped up unrenovated apartments inside them. Chicago has a lot more choices when it comes to affordable, newer buildings.

The only way you will get into the modern buildings is if you want to drop $2500+ on rent in Manhattan, and even know the same price range for parts of Brooklyn.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
even 2500 is kind of on the low end...right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago