Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 04:18 PM

778 posts, read 998,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
So what do people in Chicago do in the winter to get away from work for a while and de-stress when it is to cold outside to enjoy outdoor activities? I have noticed that some people go to Michigan (is that like our Hamptons?).

I play hockey....... outside...

(One thing I will take with me to Chicago however is my Ranger fandom, but I have no problem supporting the Hawks)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
None of the people I know in NYC are rich, and they live good lives. They're generally in small apartments in Brooklyn, though. (A couple are in rent-control places in Manhattan.)

Its very tough for the average person to "make it" there though, especially to buy/own a house.

Most friends I have my age rent and make big sacrifices, but I wonder how long thatll last til they realize where time went and they dont have anything.

As for family, they own their places so its easier I would guess.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I have met quite a few people that moved from NYC, born and raised there, and moved to Chicago for work. They have no desire to move back. Why? Becuase they find the standard of living here so much better. They can afford to have a much better life.

Its very common. Im not one technically since im from Upstate but ive lived downstate long enough and have been to Chicago tons and tons. Chicago really is better IMO, and its such a shame most dont give it its due in comparison.

Or maybe its a good thing that its under the radar.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Chicago to me has the best of both worlds. It's got good public transportation, yet it has some *space* to spread out it too depending upon where you live.

It is definitely more laid back than NYC (people walk slower - when we first moved here that annoyed me, but I like it now). The rat race is just not as prevalent although Chicagoans can be focused on their careers if they want to be so.

And this is what people need to realize. NYers think that what they have there is what everyone wants, and its simply just not true.

Chicago offers that high density urban living but also that space as well that you have referenced.

I also find Chicagoans as a people to be just more down to earth, laid back and fun types than NYers. Im sure most here would agree. I get along much better with Chicagoans than NYers.

Even in Upstate NY, I see it around me. Everyone is neurotic and wants all the trendy **** and moves to either Boston or NYC (more specifically Williamsburg , cant tell you how many friends I have there). Its so annoying.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:34 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
And this is what people need to realize. NYers think that what they have there is what everyone wants, and its simply just not true.

Chicago offers that high density urban living but also that space as well that you have referenced.

I also find Chicagoans as a people to be just more down to earth, laid back and fun types than NYers. Im sure most here would agree. I get along much better with Chicagoans than NYers.

Even in Upstate NY, I see it around me. Everyone is neurotic and wants all the trendy **** and moves to either Boston or NYC (more specifically Williamsburg , cant tell you how many friends I have there). Its so annoying.
Well, this whole topic is misplaced. Of course a city of 2,700,000 is less stressful than a city of 8,300,000+ with both cities taking up comparable square miles. The latest census shows that more people want to live in NYC (population gain) than Chicago (population loss).

Compare Chicago with its actual peer cities.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Well, this whole topic is misplaced. Of course a city of 2,700,000 is less stressful than a city of 8,300,000+ with both cities taking up comparable square miles. The latest census shows that more people want to live in NYC (population gain) than Chicago (population loss).

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...inally-growing

Old 01-25-2013, 06:00 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
The closest city in population is Houston...blech (for living a non-family life).

Old 01-25-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The closest city in population is Houston...blech (for living a non-family life).
and yet, that is Chicago's peer city, not New York.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
Going by the last official census (2010) Chicago lost population to unwind to its 1910 size. Chicago may be growing again or not; these unofficial guesstimates can be high or low.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:44 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
and yet, that is Chicago's peer city, not New York.
Which means nothing. Its population is the most similar, but Chicago's most similar city to its actual lifestyle in many areas is NYC.

You can compare two cities that are 5 million difference in population. There are many things similar about Chicago that can be found in NYC (and of course many different things). Chicago is a smaller scale version of NYC with a little DC, Boston, and Detroit mixed in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago