Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 01:32 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Of course I'm speaking in generalizations. There are pedestrian-friendly areas in suburbs and pedestrian-unfriendly areas in cities. Evanston is really an exception that proves the rule as far as suburban walkability goes, though. Between being wedged up against the city, right on the lake, and a major university town, it has a lot going for it in that department that most burbs don't.
Please.

Virtually all of the traditional rail-centric suburbs in the region have a core that is walkable. In some towns that core is rather large and encompasses things college campuses, libraries, recreational features including things designed SPEFICALLY to encourage walking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Many of those places have really good Panera's as well.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:52 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
Englewood,Roseland, and Lawndale are VERY interesting
South Lawndale is actually pretty decent. North Lawndale makes me nervous and I'm pretty intrepid, but South Lawndale is poor but not nearly as scary.

In Englewood there's actually a good chance of getting stopped by the police if you look out of place.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:13 PM

Default Probably worth listening too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
South Lawndale is actually pretty decent. North Lawndale makes me nervous and I'm pretty intrepid, but South Lawndale is poor but not nearly as scary.

In Englewood there's actually a good chance of getting stopped by the police if you look out of place.

The "profile" of somebody that looks lost / looking for drugs / trouble is one of the commenable pro-active steps the CPD does in crime prevention...

Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Please.

Virtually all of the traditional rail-centric suburbs in the region have a core that is walkable.
A core, yes. This has been mentioned by a few people in the thread, including me.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:30 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Many of those places have really good Panera's as well.
You must spread some reputation around before you...

Old 01-09-2013, 04:19 PM

216 posts, read 313,965 times
Thanks for the responses everyone. I think this weekend I'll take the orange line to Bridgeport and use it as a base for a walking circuit around the surrounding neighborhoods. Very interested to check out McKinley Park. It'll take me a while to work through all these but I love to hear more in the meantime.

Thanks

Old 01-09-2013, 04:48 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Since you like Italian food you may enjoy visiting Gio's Deli in Bridgeport.

Gios Cafe and Deli - Home style Italian cuisine

And a classic Chicago sandwich is a breaded steak from Riccobene's, also in Bridgeport.

Ricobenes Pizza

Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 PM

Default Feedback would be interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eating while walking View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. I think this weekend I'll take the orange line to Bridgeport and use it as a base for a walking circuit around the surrounding neighborhoods. Very interested to check out McKinley Park. It'll take me a while to work through all these but I love to hear more in the meantime.

Thanks
I think you will find that in many parts of Chicago there are are lots of pretty uninteresting crud that is sorta depressing. I am not talking about the old boarded up storefronts kind of depressing but the uninspired "entrepenuers" that do open some pathetic cigarette store or semi-chain "everything is $2" junk store. To the folks that live in some of those areas they probably do not have the means to support the kinds of businesses that rely on "business travelers" coming for a $4 cinnamon roll and "free wifi" and while I personally do not care one way or the other I am rather sure that folks from the City's Department of Economic Development they understand that while "charm" is a heckuva nice think businesses that throw off enough TAX REVENUE to help support the needs of an increasingly thinly populated Chicago are the strategy that is needed...

In Bridgeport the once bustling level of activity that was centered on the Speigel / Fingerhut facilities has yet to be replaced. There is probably some immigrant with big dreams that invested his life savings into this second rate chain resturant that hipsters scorn -- Buffalo Wings & Rings 3434 S. Halsted Chicago IL and wannabe "locally grown" supporters would like see close down and replaced with a "gastro pub" serving "micro green" grown in some hippy hyrdoponic warehouse. Meanwhile there are "quaint" locally owned places like this not too far away -- Kevins Hamburger Heaven - Chicago Enjoy getting some "local flavor"...

Last edited by chet everett; 01-09-2013 at 04:58 PM..

Old 01-09-2013, 05:25 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Very few people take as negative an outlook as the poster above me. Go and see for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago