Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:49 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Only if they live in the suburbs.
For some one who claims to have been born in the 1980s I think there are some high schoolers on the boards that have a better grasp of how the city works -- the lay out of everything from bus stops to El stations to bars and grocery stores is such that a walk of about 4 - 6 blocks is about all that is needed in all but the most car centric developments...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 01:52 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
For North side north of Lakeview.... I like around Lincoln Square (Western Brown Line stop) and the area up there. Some interesting stuff. Also some parts of Edgewater like around the Bryn Mawr stop for example, or even the Berwyn stop and going West to Andersonville for sure. West of Loyola University you have West Ridge which is home to Devon..little India/Pakistan and what not. Argyle in Uptown too of course has some cool things around there.

I'm also a fan of Chinatown, some of Bridgeport, Pilsen, etc on the near-ish south side.

And one of my favorite areas for people watching in the summer is actually around the Rush/Bellevue/State triangle in the Gold Coast. In the middle there is a little pedestrian park that's packed with people in the summer mostly all day. There's a coffee stand that sells other drinks and gelato too. If you like people watching, do it there in the summer (and somewhat spring and early fall) months.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:55 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Nobody walks anymore.

How sad. I walk 2 miles a day plus extra on weekends.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:55 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
There is a fair amount of drug dealing and gangbanging in McKinley Park and virtually zero yuppie/hipster transplants.
I suppose, but I also don't see as much gang influence and poverty in McKinley Park as I see in parts of Pilsen, either, and the crime rates tend to be a little lower when I've checked. It's pretty much working class families, about 2/3 Latino and the other 1/3 White and Asian. It's not so big with the hipsters because it has more of a residential/suburban feel, without a lot of establishments to walk to. It just seemed to me an odd one to single out as "rough" out of the ones you listed.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
For some one who claims to have been born in the 1980s
If you're talking about me, you're mistaken.

Quote:
4 - 6 blocks is about all that is needed in all but the most car centric developments...
That's my point. People don't walk as much in the suburbs, so someone like you thinks (as you stated) that "most people would consider a walk of more than a few blocks 'extreme'." In the city, where people walk places, it's nothing to walk a mile or more across the neighborhood any given day to a store, restaurants, bars, laundry, etc. I'd say few people in the city would consider anything under a couple of miles to be an "extreme" walk, unless they have a driver or a very limited "cocoon" (as you would say). 4-6 blocks is many people's walk to the train in the morning.

Ashland to Halsted, for example, is a mile, or Ashland to Western. The laziest of hipsters does that on a typical Friday night, and that's in the more walkable neighborhoods. Even the Near North or South Loop can be a mile or two to walk across.

Last edited by ChiNaan; 01-08-2013 at 02:11 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
That's my point. People don't walk as much in the suburbs, so someone like you thinks (as you stated) that "most people would consider a walk of more than a few blocks 'extreme'." In the city, where people walk places, it's nothing to walk a mile or more across the neighborhood any given day. I'd say few people in the city would consider anything under a couple of miles to be an "extreme" walk.
I grew up in a suburban type of environment. I remember when I graduated high school, my friend who lived about a third to half a mile from my parents' house was having a party and my dad said "You're going into college, you can walk there. You don't need to borrow my car. It's close." and I remember my friends and I being like "wtf?" to that. I mean literally to us, 1/3 - 1/2 a mile was too far to walk for us, and that we should just take a car.

I agree pretty much with you. Walking in the city is no big deal. A mile? That's nothing. If I have to do it, it's not the end of the world. I walk over a mile everyday just getting to/from work and lunch in the Loop. I think even though some suburbs can be walkable in a few parts, it's usually not the same type ot attitude. Most people in the suburbs are very car centric. Sure, they might walk in a small downtown area 2 blocks, but that's not like some people in the actual city do. The city I grew up in had a downtown too and we'd walk 2 blocks from parking to a restaurant, but if someone told me I had to walk a half mile to the other end, I'd look at them weirdly and say "No, I'll just drive and park over there."

Old 01-08-2013, 02:17 PM

216 posts, read 313,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
the old "Heart of Chicago" Italian neighborhood... Bridgeport; Armour Square;
Hi Jonnynons, can you elaborate what makes these places interesting? Is it people watching, architecture, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu
I like around Lincoln Square (Western Brown Line stop) and the area up there. Some interesting stuff.
HI Marothisu, can you describe what 'interesting stuff' is?

Thanks everyone

Old 01-08-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think even though some suburbs can be walkable in a few parts, it's usually not the same type ot attitude.
Exactly. It's also often not a walking-friendly layout (outside of the downtowns of the older suburbs), even if the distance technically is. A mile walking through strip-mall parking lots and residential streets without sidewalks, dodging cars and possibly hopping a fence or two, is not the same as a mile walking down 18th, Division, State, or Halsted. I drove more and walked less when I lived in the burbs, too, because it's just set up for that. That mile walk in the suburbs was "extreme." A mile walk in the city is standard.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:22 PM

^ Totally. Plus, a walk in the city usually just goes by quicker. I remember school in Iowa, which was walkable on campus and all..I lived off campus half of my college life and I would get a haircut at this place a half mile away. I would walk to it but there wasn't much between me and there. It seemed so damn far at the time, but in a city like Chicago it's a complete after thought to walk that. It goes by so quickly. Who knows why but it's true nonetheless.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:23 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
First I have to say that most people would consider a walk of more than a few blocks "extreme".
Dear god, no wonder there are so many obese people in this country.

My kids walk 1/2 mile to school (each way) as they should. I walk a mile easily everyday just doing ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago