Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:47 AM

810 posts, read 3,305,697 times

Advertisements

I will be in Chicago next month on business. My company put me up at Marriott at S. Ashland and W. Harrison at the Medical District. My training site will be at the corner of N. Green and W. Washington streets.

Google Maps said it's about 1.5 miles by car. Just wondering if it's safe to walk there? I don't mind walking.

Thanks in adavance for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 09:59 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Exclamation Crappy walk! Too far, too spotty, MAYBE use bus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
I will be in Chicago next month on business. My company put me up at Marriott at S. Ashland and W. Harrison at the Medical District. My training site will be at the corner of N. Green and W. Washington streets.

Google Maps said it's about 1.5 miles by car. Just wondering if it's safe to walk there? I don't mind walking.

Thanks in adavance for any replies.
I would not walk, not only will those be through some scary looking blocks that have a spotty mix of old homes and businesses, but there are vacant lots / parking sites that are just hot and unpleasant. While I really doubt anything truly BAD would happen to you it is a mostly unwalked route, as the vast majority people at the hotel are doing SOMETHING at the hospital.

The upside is there are more folks that ride bikes into the Loop through the Washington Corridor, but that is a pretty recent trend.

CTA buses might be an option, but if you are not a public transit kind of person I do NOT recommend starting the adventure on a business trip -- things like laptops, cell phones and even "office appropriate jewelry" all present mighty targets when they are on display at a west side bus stop...

I am sure there are 'natives' that do a similar commute everyday. If you are savvy, relaxed and low key there "target" level is far lower.

from: S Ashland Ave & W Harrison St, Chicago, Cook, Illinois 60607 to: W Washington Blvd & N Green St, Chicago, IL 60607 - Google Maps

Old 05-18-2009, 10:11 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,470 times
If you have any street smarts you will be fine. I live in that area and you will walk East and are no vacant lots or sketchy parts through your walk. If you would have to walk west down Harrison it would become a bit iffy but East is fine. The Marriot is on a college campus and there is usually people walking around most of the night. I wouldnt do the above walk tho (that would be a bit sketchy)... Take Harrison down to Halsted and you will be fine.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:51 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,103,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
If you have any street smarts you will be fine. I live in that area and you will walk East and are no vacant lots or sketchy parts through your walk. If you would have to walk west down Harrison it would become a bit iffy but East is fine. The Marriot is on a college campus and there is usually people walking around most of the night. I wouldnt do the above walk tho (that would be a bit sketchy)... Take Harrison down to Halsted and you will be fine.
Yeah. I'd also suggest taking Harrison up to Racine, then go right on Madison, and take that up to Halsted. A little bit more peaceful than taking Halsted the entire way up north.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:52 PM

Rush University is hardly a traditional "college campus", and for that matter UIC is not what I think of when I envision "college campus" either -- more like "sci-fi nightmare". LOTS and lots of parking lots / decks along with miles of da' Mayor's favorite wrought iron fencing that hardly make for a refreshing stroll across the quad, this is NOT some bucolic scene...

I suppose walking east on Harrison, north on Racine , then east on Madison will avoid some of the notorious "concrete wasteland" of that area, but it is hardly a "garden walk", and even walking up Loomis so that you'd at least go past the park(s) near Whitney Young would still mean all kinds of other potential issues. Honestly, I probably try a bus instead...

Old 05-18-2009, 12:59 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
In the middle of the day I'd never give it a second thought. You'll be fine. I agree with the others who say you ought to walk along Harrison and up Racine.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the thoughts...I will plan on walking along Harrison then Racine. Training is from 9-4 daily.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:35 AM

With the nice early end of the day I would encourage you to plan for some fun! You will be very close to both some famous "high end" restaurants in the "meat packing district" and more affordable but very enjoyable places in Greek Town, closer to the hotel there are excellent choices in the "Taylor Street / Little Italy" section.

You might walk to them if you go early, but I would budget for a cab back to the hotel. Really should be less than $8 or so for the distances involved.

Enjoy!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:20 AM

I was in Chicago last week. I ended up taking the Pink line everyday. Got on at the Polk street station and got off at the Clinton street station in the morning and did the same on the way back. The training was near the corner of Randolph and Green streets. It worked out great and didn't need to use my car while I was there. Lots of restaurants on Randolph street in the West Loop. We didn't have to venture far.

The only time we took a cab was to see the Willis Tower (Sears)...one of the guys had an emergency foot surgery last week and was on crutches.

Thnaks again and I look forward coming back soon!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:32 AM

You really lucked out on the weather! Prior weeks were all cold and rainy.

Glad it all worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago