Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 01:10 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,063,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Exactly. I'd say the Chicago equivalent would be Navy Pier or possibly the Mag Mile.
Navy Pier is probably the closest equivalent from a tourist-trap standpoint. I don't know any locals that bother going there. Mich. Ave is similar, but I feel like it gets more local traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 01:25 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,319,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
Navy Pier is probably the closest equivalent from a tourist-trap standpoint. I don't know any locals that bother going there. Mich. Ave is similar, but I feel like it gets more local traffic.
It gets a ton more locals, and probably the only real reason is because so many people work on or around Michigan Avenue. Locals go shopping on Michigan Ave too, but only for a speciality store like Niketown or places like Burberry. Most locals won't go to the Gap or Banana Republic on Mich Ave, they would prob go to the ones in LP before downtown.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:51 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit.criminal View Post
Chicago doesn't need a Central Park because we have open access to the lake front. The lakefront path is ten times better than central park. Times Square is iconic only due to the big screen. Outside of the big screen is it nothing special.
I dunno about that, Central Park is huge, lots of trails and open spaces, and has pretty big lakes itself.

Chicago isn't *underwhelming* compared to NYC, unless you are talking comprehensively, then yes NYC dwarfs Chicago and every other city for that matter...same with any other city. Chicago has nice spots, SF has nice spots. Chicago has great restaurants, SF has great restaurants. The thing with NYC is, it has far more of those nice spots.

NYC doesn't have a lakefront like Chicago, it doesn't have panoramic views like SF. It doesn't have the same neighborhood vibes, etc... different places.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:01 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
NYC doesn't have a lakefront like Chicago,
Ha. No lakefront -- just an ocean, several bays, and a couple of rivers. Other than The Bronx, the entire city is on islands.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:07 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,063,241 times
Quote:
Ha. No lakefront -- just an ocean, several bays, and a couple of rivers. Other than The Bronx, the entire city is on islands.
Most of NYC doesn't have access to the ocean or the beachfront though. Maybe Staten Island and Rockaway park. It's very different than Chicago where the entire eastern border of the city is lakefront.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
They are all unusable and dirty though...there's like freight ships going through everywhere and cars polluting oil into the water, the rest is full of piers. The urban dwellers there have nothing like the Chicago lake front. There is tiny little battery park and that's it... but it's usually full of tourists walking around and homeless people everywhere, and of course, no beaches unless you are technically "out" of the city. There is the promenade path in Brooklyn, but still a far cry from the recreational amenities of Chicago's lakefront. Then there is Chelsea piers which is mostly just an indoor facility.

Last edited by grapico; 09-18-2012 at 07:33 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 07:28 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
They are all unusable and dirty though...there's like freight ships going through everywhere and cars polluting oil into the water
As opposed to the clean and sanitary Chicago River and Lake Michigan?

Quote:
no beaches unless you are technically "out" of the city.
Absolutely false.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:59 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,945,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Technically the Origin Point (Madison and State) is our central point, no?
It is the central point and used to be, as I stated earlier, the busiest intersection in the world I believe. Now, it's not much. As I pointed out as well, no one can decide what is considered to be the current central point of the city.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:30 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,392,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
It is the central point and used to be, as I stated earlier, the busiest intersection in the world I believe. Now, it's not much. As I pointed out as well, no one can decide what is considered to be the current central point of the city.
Off topic, but I have a really hard time believing State/Madison was ever the busiest intersection in the world. A quick google search didn't provide anything.

Edit: I found something in the Encyclopedia of Chicago that made reference to that claim.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:07 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
At one time (1950s) the area around the train station, when Marshall Field's was in its prime, was very active. The station is still busy, but I think the near area now is more office and business than shopping, and most of those restaurants, newspaper stands, and the little cigar stores I knew are probably gone.

Today when I think of Chicago and where people congregate all year I think of Chinatown as opposed to tourist venues, or neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago