Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 06:03 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Times Square is NOT the center of activity in New York.

The city is much better than that!
It is if you are a tourist. Actually it is funny, if you are an American tourist they hover around Time Square and usually never venture outside of the area. The European tourists end up going to SoHo.

So in that sense, the question should be where are the tourist attractions/traps like Time Square in NYC, which that question has already been answered, Mag Mile, Navy Pier, and Millennium Park.

Now, no self respecting New Yorker goes to Time Square unless it is to see a theater play or play video games or get plentiful amounts of candy. Like Chicago, New Yorkers spend their time in their neighborhoods and the areas they feel comfortable in. Chicago is no different in that way with having tons of active neigborhoods that the locals love.

For me, the center of Chicago is where Michigan Ave and the Chicago River intersect. The iconic buildings surrounding, the historical architecture, the river, Michigan Ave. To me, that is Chicago's center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 09:22 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,946,746 times
The center of Chicago used to be State & Madison Streets; 100 years ago. Since then, no particular place has morphed into the center of the city. The Michigan Avenue and Chicago River thing isn't it at all. I've stated this before, the ''problem'' with Grant Park is that, as the poster noted, there is not much to attract visitors across the park. Grant Park should have run east-west with the city around it as opposed to its north-south/Lake Shore Drive-lake eastern edge.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:01 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
The center of Chicago used to be State & Madison Streets; 100 years ago. Since then, no particular place has morphed into the center of the city. The Michigan Avenue and Chicago River thing isn't it at all. I've stated this before, the ''problem'' with Grant Park is that, as the poster noted, there is not much to attract visitors across the park. Grant Park should have run east-west with the city around it as opposed to its north-south/Lake Shore Drive-lake eastern edge.
The center of the city doesn't have to be the actual center of the city geographically. Michigan Ave and the Chicago River is good enough for me being the center of the city because that is what it feels like whenever I am in it.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:18 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
If we're talking for visitors and tourists as well as trying to include residents, than I would definitely say Michigan Ave from Millenium Park up through Michigan Ave at Hancock Tower/Water Tower. That trip ties together two bookends that are fairly important spaces in Chicago. The Hancock/Water Tower and Millenium Park, with the Michigan Ave bridge and the immediate areas to the north/south being the central "wow" area.

Again though, obviously residents really could care less about Navy Pier, and even Millenium Park and Michigan Ave. For people who live here the life of the city is obviously in the neighborhoods. Certainly not the Loop.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The center of the city doesn't have to be the actual center of the city geographically. Michigan Ave and the Chicago River is good enough for me being the center of the city because that is what it feels like whenever I am in it.
In its day, State & Madison Streets were said to be the busiest/most crowded intersection in the world. So this intersection was both the geographical and commercial centers of the city.

Nowadays, people can feel what, to them, is the center of Chicago.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:10 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,320,592 times
Quote:
In its day, State & Madison Streets were said to be the busiest/most crowded intersection in the world. So this intersection was both the geographical and commercial centers of the city.

Nowadays, people can feel what, to them, is the center of Chicago.

Agreed. In my universe, from where I live and play the six corners at Damen and North Avenue is my center of the city. It's the area I like to frequent the most with the surrounding areas such as Bucktown, Humboldt Park, Ukranian Village, Lincoln Park and Logan Square are other places that check it out then I live in Avondale.

If it weren't for my job in downtown, I would rarely every go to downtown, as I feel most Chicagoans wouldn't either. Aside from the department stores and famout landmarks/spaces you can almost find anything else that available in downtown elsewhere throughout the city.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
If we're talking for visitors and tourists as well as trying to include residents, than I would definitely say Michigan Ave from Millenium Park up through Michigan Ave at Hancock Tower/Water Tower. That trip ties together two bookends that are fairly important spaces in Chicago. The Hancock/Water Tower and Millenium Park, with the Michigan Ave bridge and the immediate areas to the north/south being the central "wow" area.

Again though, obviously residents really could care less about Navy Pier, and even Millenium Park and Michigan Ave. For people who live here the life of the city is obviously in the neighborhoods. Certainly not the Loop.
But after the stores close it gets pretty slow; there is not a times square-like area in Chicago.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:10 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,210,608 times
Michigan and Randolph has always seemed like the center of the city to me, though I'm not sure exactly why. Something about being right there between Millennium Park, The Loop, and the Mag Mile, I guess.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:17 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,320,592 times
Quote:
But after the stores close it gets pretty slow; there is not a times square-like area in Chicago.
There is not a times square like area in 99% of the majoepr cities across the globe which is why this thread is so stupid.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:55 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,838,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Michigan and Randolph has always seemed like the center of the city to me, though I'm not sure exactly why. Something about being right there between Millennium Park, The Loop, and the Mag Mile, I guess.
i think that makes a lot of sense. If you look at Grant Park as the front yard of the city, it would appear that Congress Street, by design, was the grand entrance. But, of course, Michigan and Congress is really off the beaten track. That northwest corner of Grant Park (which is the n.w. corner of Millennium Park which is really a part of Grant Park) is the true gateway to the heart of the city as you get a sense of entrance into both the Loop and the near north side that begins a few blocks up Michigan, across the river.

Michigan and Randolph may be the most dramatic intersection in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago