Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:45 PM

43 posts, read 61,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
IMO, the south has had more influence on Chicago than Chicago has had on the south.

From my personal experience, people are people. There may be a different accent, people may walk faster we may live around big buildings with traffic but there isn't that big of a difference.

I noticed when living in Memphis, Chicagoans who relocate make it sound as if memphis was so much worse in terms of sophistication and other things. Now that I've experienced what I've experience, there isn't 2 cents worth of difference between the people.

Now the city has a lot more to offer but people are the same.
I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 08:29 PM

283 posts, read 447,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
The Midwest is not a Northern version of the South. Most of it's inhabitants are not from the South originally.
Southern Illinois, Indiana, all of Missouri Was settled by 'southerners'

also hes referring to rural ppl.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:30 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times
Chicago is full of Black people from Mississippi.
Detroit is full of Black people from Alabama.
New York, Philly, and DC are full of Black people from South Carolina and Georgia.

Look at a map, and it's obvious...

Black people in LA, Seattle, Denver, don't have the same history.

Are white people that ignorant of the Great Migration? You guys don't learn anything about the history of Black people in America unless you take a "Black History" class? Which I presume none of you took?

Old 07-15-2012, 08:53 PM

43 posts, read 61,176 times
[quote=JacksonPanther;25186379]Chicago is full of Black people from Mississippi.
New York, Philly, and DC are full of Black people from South Carolina and Georgia.

Black people in LA, Seattle, Denver, don't have the same history.{Quote]

Thank You...That about sums it up

Old 07-15-2012, 09:37 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,687 times
There's a difference between country and southern.

And black people are EVERYWHERE. So are whites, Hispanics, Asians, whatever. I don't need a black history class to tell me that.. And no I didn't take one because it's not part of anyones curriculum unless you're an african American studies major. I guess I need a geography lesson to tell me where people migrate though. Oops.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,690 times
Southwestern Illinois and Southwest Missouri were settled by the French .. while Chicago was still a northern outpost, French New World culture was getting a big foothold in that area .. decendants and some of the culture remain to this day ..

Old 07-15-2012, 10:49 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Chicago isn't "country" because of the Civil War. the Great Migration didn't happen due to natural causes like a drought or buffalo herd movement.

I've been hearing southern politicians and bible-thumping hypocrites my entire life talk about how the Civil War isn't over, and it's true - it is the northern states which continue to pay more than we get back into the federal kitty while local governments down south drain federal tax resources while fussing about their right to put Confederate flags and quasi-science into courthouses and schools respectively. They should consider themselves lucky we didn't let them secede in the first place.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:57 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

Black people in LA, Seattle, Denver, don't have the same history.

Are white people that ignorant of the Great Migration? You guys don't learn anything about the history of Black people in America unless you take a "Black History" class? Which I presume none of you took?

Yes, I see the Southern roots of black people in Chicago, but that's just one race. And I'm not white.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:35 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
NYC is a little bit different (especially as of the last decade). I'd say that immigrant blacks (ie. from the Carribbean & Africa) potentially outnumber or at least rival the percentage of descendants southern blacks that came from the Carolinas & Georgia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

Black people in LA, Seattle, Denver, don't have the same history.{Quote]

Thank You...That about sums it up

Old 07-16-2012, 01:03 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,033 times
Some one who says "y'all" calling us country. Effing classic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: