Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,167 times

Advertisements

Pilsen really aint that safe. The last few years ive lived it and it was better but within the last few months gang violence over here is getting worse again. I think it may lead to pilsen like 20 years ago in about 5 years if this keeps going on but thats my opinion and i live by wood and 18th
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 07:46 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazy123 View Post
Pilsen really aint that safe. The last few years ive lived it and it was better but within the last few months gang violence over here is getting worse again. I think it may lead to pilsen like 20 years ago in about 5 years if this keeps going on but thats my opinion and i live by wood and 18th
Hardly. Yes, there's violence, and any amount is too much, but it's been on a steady decline, despite the occasional flare-ups. There have been 4 homicides per year for the past three years, in a neighborhood of 36,000. That's not great, but it's pretty standard for middle-of-the-road Chicago neighborhoods, and isn't much different than small towns I've lived in with similar population.

Homicides in the past 3 years in selected community areas, per the Red Eye tracker:

Lower West Side (Pilsen): 12
Logan Square: 6
Near North Side: 9
Uptown: 13
Lake View: 6
Rogers Park: 15
Edgewater: 12
Bridgeport: 9
Albany Park: 8
Irving Park: 7
West Town: 13

Etc.

There are a few community areas with only 1 or 2 during that time, and a few others with 50 or 60 during that time, but most fall into the general range of the above neighborhoods. It's also worth noting that while many of the above neighborhoods had their rates go up during that time as part of this year's city-wide increase, Pilsen did not.

Last edited by ChiNaan; 11-20-2012 at 08:48 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 08:35 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
...There have been 4 homicides per year for the past three years, in a neighborhood of 36,000. That's not great, but it's pretty standard for middle-of-the-road Chicago neighborhoods, and isn't much different than small towns I've lived in with similar population.
What the heck kind of small towns have you lived in?

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...000/00sec2.pdf

Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
What the heck kind of small towns have you lived in?
Relatively safe ones, actually. Even they tend to have one or two murders a year if they have 30-40k people. Dangerous ones have far more.

If something in that 200 page report you inked to indicates otherwise, you'll need to cite it for me specifically. I enjoy reading non-fiction, but that's a bit much for me to go through at 10 on a weeknight.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:05 PM

Default Get real!

No friend, not relatively safe at all. Page eleven: " rural counties and cities outside metropolitan areas reported murder rates of 3.8 per 100,000 inhabitants". Do the math -- murder rate under FOUR per hundred thousand is the national average for counties / cities outside metro areas. You are trying to saying three times that number for an area with a little more a third the population is OK? Dude, that is NUTS -- rate would be like NINE TIMES the average...

Quote:
Relatively safe ones, actually. Even they tend to have one or two murders a year if they have 30-40k people. Dangerous ones have far more.

If something in that 200 page report you inked to indicates otherwise, you'll need to cite it for me specifically. I enjoy reading non-fiction, but that's a bit much for me to go through at 10 on a weeknight.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Page eleven: " rural counties and cities outside metropolitan areas reported murder rates of 3.8 per 100,000 inhabitants".
In other words, about one per 25K people, which is exactly in line with what I said about 1-2 in places of 30-40K. Thanks for going through that much effort to reinforce my point.

So Pilsen has 4 for 36k. If the difference between "safe" and "dangerous" is the difference between a 1 in 25,000 chance of getting killed any given year and a 1 in 9,000 chance of getting killed any given year, I'll take those odds to live in a place I like.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:57 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
No friend, not relatively safe at all. Page eleven: " rural counties and cities outside metropolitan areas reported murder rates of 3.8 per 100,000 inhabitants". Do the math -- murder rate under FOUR per hundred thousand is the national average for counties / cities outside metro areas. You are trying to saying three times that number for an area with a little more a third the population is OK? Dude, that is NUTS -- rate would be like NINE TIMES the average...
That's never going to change, as felons are statistically more likely to relocate into a large urban area upon their release from the correctional system.

Big cities offer many great things, but they also provide anonymity. You get out of Statesville for a serious crime, are you going back to your small town of 35,000 people where everybody knows what you did & nobody will give you a job or do you try Chicago?

Old 11-21-2012, 12:27 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
In other words, about one per 25K people, which is exactly in line with what I said about 1-2 in places of 30-40K. Thanks for going through that much effort to reinforce my point.

So Pilsen has 4 for 36k. If the difference between "safe" and "dangerous" is the difference between a 1 in 25,000 chance of getting killed any given year and a 1 in 9,000 chance of getting killed any given year, I'll take those odds to live in a place I like.
How many are random murders?

Old 02-08-2013, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 10,484 times
Hello, I seen this thread, I am moving to 18th and blue island in a few weeks.....I like to jog, and ride bike. I am already from rochester, ny with a high murder rate but i am still nervous for this isnt a big city like chicago. I am white , 26 and have a black girlfriend who is 30..Does anyone forsee any random violence our way.....also I do box and have got jumped before, so if i get jumped and whoop up on whoever it may be. Do i need to worry about retaliation? Thanks, also please give me a heads up on bad corners to stay away from.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:15 AM

If you "get jumped" let the attacker take your wallet, give you a kick & run back to his pals. If you try to fight odds are that you'll find out the hardway that the punk also had a knife or gun for back-up...

The odds of encountering "randomn violence" are genrally greatly reduced by "minding your damned business" and avoiding the obvious crime centers. Pilsen has lots of supporters so I would stick to the well traveled corridors and you ought not run out of options.

Mixed race couples often feel safest around the sort of liberal havens like Oak Park, Evanston & Hyde Park but the key is to avoid the most "hard core" areas where such relationships are likely to incite bad feelings. That typically means the worst of the traditional African American ghettos for your safety...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago