Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:24 PM

771 posts, read 1,398,985 times

Advertisements

Supposedly they are looking to build a basketball arena on the parking lot at Fullerton and Sheffield. Although they suck, it would be nice to have College BB of a major conference play within the city. DePaul is certainly making a lot changes to the Lincoln Park neighborhood (imo in a good way).

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 01:32 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,581,548 times
would be smart move and is long overdue

Old 04-05-2012, 03:01 PM

912 posts, read 1,735,897 times
I imagine having an on-campus arena would do wonders for recruiting. Hopefully better recruiting can lead to them becoming a player in the Big East.

I think it'd also increase attendance. Last season DePaul had an average attendance of 7,676, good for 67th highest in the country. That's not awful, but considering the Big East averages 11,323 as a conference, it's not too good. Also considering they are in the third largest city in the country and the Allstate Arena holds 17,500 for basketball, it's doesn't look good that they are averaging a half empty arena.

I love college basketball, but if I was a student there, I'd be hard pressed to get up to Rosemont for a game, especially on a weeknight. Something on campus would probably increase the buzz amongst students and make games the thing to do in Lincoln Park.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
I imagine having an on-campus arena would do wonders for recruiting. Hopefully better recruiting can lead to them becoming a player in the Big East.

I think it'd also increase attendance. Last season DePaul had an average attendance of 7,676, good for 67th highest in the country. That's not awful, but considering the Big East averages 11,323 as a conference, it's not too good. Also considering they are in the third largest city in the country and the Allstate Arena holds 17,500 for basketball, it's doesn't look good that they are averaging a half empty arena.

I love college basketball, but if I was a student there, I'd be hard pressed to get up to Rosemont for a game, especially on a weeknight. Something on campus would probably increase the buzz amongst students and make games the thing to do in Lincoln Park.
I am an alum, and yes more students will definitely go. How could you not when the game is literally across the street from class? It will give students another reason to drink and party and then go to the game.

The Allstate Arena is horrible. It's just such a pain in the ass to get out there, and if the team isn't even good why even bother?

This would do wonders for DePaul's program, I am confident of that.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:19 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,860,919 times
I live a block north. Where did you hear this? Just curious to see how "serious" this is...

Old 04-05-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I live a block north. Where did you hear this? Just curious to see how "serious" this is...
Exact location is not confirmed. Fullerton and Sheffield I imagine is the desired location, but they will have to deal with a lot of NIMBYs and it will cost a lot of $$$$, but it looks like either way it will be located somewhere in Lincoln Park.

Quite a few sources:

DePaul University Plans to Build New Basketball Arena on Fullerton and Sheffield, Pending Trustee Approval: FOX Chicago Exclusive (http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/sports/fox-chicago-exclusive-depaul-to-build-new-arena-on-fullerton-and-sheffield-20120327 - broken link)

DePaul looking to build new arena, land Chicago area stars

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...es/DePaul.aspx

DePaul Looking To Build New Stadium Near Lincoln Park Campus, According To Report - SB Nation Chicago

Old 04-05-2012, 05:09 PM

674 posts, read 1,057,625 times
The red line is going to be nothing but a view of stadiums.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:20 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,114,234 times
Certainly would be a key selling point for recruiting.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:13 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,429,057 times
I agree that All-State Arena is a major pain in the ass to get to from Lincoln Park (esp. for those without a car). The United Center is easier to get to, but the venue is way too pricey and overbooked between the Bulls (NBA), Blackhawks (NHL), and numerous concerts that take place in the building. Does DePaul ever play at the UC? I know that a few high profile NCAA b-ball games do take place at the UC, but it's not too often.

On the other hand, the Bradley Center in Milwaukee doesn't host NHL hockey, so they are able to host both the Bucks (NBA) & Marquette (NCAA - Big East).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
I am an alum, and yes more students will definitely go. How could you not when the game is literally across the street from class? It will give students another reason to drink and party and then go to the game.

The Allstate Arena is horrible. It's just such a pain in the ass to get out there, and if the team isn't even good why even bother?

This would do wonders for DePaul's program, I am confident of that.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:33 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,857,588 times
Wouldn't parking be a major problem in Lincoln Park. Not everyone would be taking CTA. What about suburban Blue Demon fans? Dense, urban neighborhood....seems to me that location could be a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago