Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 10:28 AM

10 posts, read 24,505 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I got to know about this forum while searching for schools in chicago for MBA.
I know UIUC, Chicagbooth, Northwestern are exceptional. Im an international student with low GMat score which made me to look for other univesities in the city.

I heard about Depaul, NIU and UIC, but i'm applying to Depaul and NIU since UIC is very costly compared to other two.

Can someone please shed some light about NIU and Depaul academically for pursuing MBA. I want to take up concentration in Finance. Which univ weighs more academically, reputation and placement vice after graduating.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Vidhu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 07:16 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
I am going to interject something here that indirectly relates to Chicago and the subject. .

ISU at Normal, IL offers its students an Actuary program that is ranked as one of 13 top Actuary programs in North America. Nine months from now the ISU Business MBA will be available to Chicagons. Unfortunately I don;t know any of the particulars yet as it hasn't been announced.

Last edited by linicx; 11-24-2011 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 11-15-2011, 06:35 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
If your goal is to use the MBA in finance to secure employment in the region the likely result of attending each school are likely to be different. The types of firms that recruit MBA grads at NIU tend to be those that a few years ago were primarily interested in those earning undergrad degrees in Business -- a mix of sales related and internal administrative slots. This is not very different at DePaul, though there tends to be a slightly more "Chicago centric" mix of recruiters.

The economy has been quite rough on folks earning Masters in any field and MBAs are no different -- many folks would caution that the investment in a MBA is probably riskier than it has been at any time in the past. Firms really are facing a very uncertain regulatory / tax landscape and are unwilling to shell out higher salaries.

Depending on your previous work experience and undergrad degree I would give serious thought to simply working your way inside a firm and perhaps adding an part time MBA, if the firm you are employed with will assist with the cost AND future promotions...

Old 11-15-2011, 07:12 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,938,332 times
I personally think DePaul might be better and would also to allow for a chicago based location that is well connected to the job market. But your comment that UIC is very expensive does not make sense because its a state school. DePaul should be way more expensive than either UIC or NIU.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:18 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
I suspect he may be considering the "out of state" tuition option and I believe that the rate for UIC is the same as UIUC and considerably more costly than NIU. DePaul's "list price" is pretty close to the out of state rates at NIU...

NIU does have course locations in Naperville and Hoffman Estates, so it is far from an exclusively "farmer driven" experience but I agree that there are more Chicago centric students at DePaul...

Old 11-15-2011, 09:09 AM

10 posts, read 24,505 times
Thanks all for your advise

Old 04-06-2012, 02:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthyman View Post
Not even a close call... Go to DePaul. NIU/UIC have no reputation beyond their immediate region. DePaul is a truly national and international university. If you said DePaul or Boston College that would be a more ideal comparison. NIU vs. UIC is more in line for comparison. Comparing DePaul and NIU is like comparing Sears with say, Bloomingdales. Sears and JC Penny that would be a better, more useful comparison.
When your posts start sounding like snippets from an infomercial with similarly outrageous claims, people don't take you seriously. Just thought you'd like to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago