Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 06:22 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,059,684 times

Advertisements

I'm not familiar with the university, other than the reviews I've read, but have met a few people who attend. Lately, I hear many radio ads for the university, as well as see a lot of TV ads on multiple channels. It's almost as bad as those for-profit schools that advertise on daytime TV.

So, then I look at some of the graduate programs on the website, and it seems like they will accept anyone with a pulse that can pay the tuition.

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,951,604 times
Wow could not disagree with you more. I am an avid tv watcher, and radio listener and almost never hear ads for Depaul. Not saying there aren't any. They are the largest Catholic university in the country and while they do not have the reputation of a Northwestern or U of C, they are somewhat selective (64%) at least at the undergrad level. My son went there so I do take note of things when I hear of Depaul. I think they have a solid reputation and are quite expensive being a private school. Not saying they do not have drives to publicize the school and increase enrollment but I have not heard a barrage of advertising. I think the graduate school would all depend on what you are majoring in. There are better schools of course, but also much worse schools too, in general.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:36 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,214,093 times
Nope. The DePaul grads I've met or worked with have all been well above average in intelligence; people who were smart kids and good students in school growing up and usually ended up with graduate degrees and making major contributions in Chicago and elsewhere (often in fields like education, which means they're not wealthy). It's not Northwestern or UC, but it's closer to being in their league than it is to being in the category of fly-by-night for-profit schools, by far.

I don't know what their admissions standards are, but I've never met a stupid graduate from there, which I can't say about any major for-profit school.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:44 PM

I see more DePaul commercials than University of Phoenix. I don't have cable, so they're on the local channels. When I posted the thread, I just heard a commercial on the radio.

Like I said, I don't know what the reputation is, other than Catholic, expensive, and some reviews I read online.

From the graduate programs in computers/ IT:

-2.5 GPA from undergrad
-No GRE
-No references required
-No personal statement required

I read that DePaul doesn't require SAT or ACT scores either.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Nope. The DePaul grads I've met or worked with have all been well above average in intelligence; people who were smart kids and good students in school growing up and usually ended up with graduate degrees and making major contributions in Chicago and elsewhere (often in fields like education, which means they're not wealthy). It's not Northwestern or UC, but it's closer to being in their league than it is to being in the category of fly-by-night for-profit schools, by far.

I don't know what their admissions standards are, but I've never met a stupid graduate from there, which I can't say about any major for-profit school.
I wasn't comparing DePaul to for-profit schools, I just noticed an abundance of commercials recently.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,957,005 times
The acceptance rate of DePaul overall is around 65%, which is not *entirely* easy to get into. Illinois is technically easier to get into than DePaul. If you want to compare, here's some other institutions and their acceptance rates:

Iowa - 80%
Michigan State - 73%
Indiana - 72%
Illinois - 68%
Purdue - 68%
Wisconsin - 66%
Loyola-Chicago - 65%
UIC - 63%
Ohio State - 63%
Nebraska - 59%
Penn State - 55%
Minnesota - 48%
Michigan - 41%
Northwestern - 18%
U of Chicago - 13%

Half of the big 10 schools are easier to get into than DePaul and another is around the same rate. Loyola and UIC are just as hard to get into.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,214,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I wasn't comparing DePaul to for-profit schools
Quote:
It's almost as bad as those for-profit schools

Old 01-20-2013, 07:52 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,957,005 times
Quote:

From the graduate programs in computers/ IT:

-2.5 GPA from undergrad
-No GRE
-No references required
-No personal statement required

I read that DePaul doesn't require SAT or ACT scores either.

Please cite your source for this.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:55 PM

928 posts, read 1,715,680 times
Oh hey, I'm going to offer an opinion that isn't worth much. I'd never heard of DePaul until I moved to Chicago, and when I saw advertisements for it all over the L, I figured it was another one of those for-profit schools. After living here for a sec and talking to people, I came to find that it's a pretty well-respected school in these parts and have met many grads who seem to be bright and reasonable people. What's with all the cheesy DeVry style advertisements then?

Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Regarding commercials, not academic quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago