Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:10 PM

16 posts, read 115,649 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm a high school senior and currently looking at colleges and am considering both Depaul and Loyola. I live in Wisconsin, but my mom is from Chicago and I still have family in Chicago so I am pretty familiar with the city. I know Depaul is considerably cheaper, but I've also heard very good things about Depaul. Which university do you think has a better reputation in Chicago? Any information would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 01:07 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
I'd say Loyola has a slightly higher reputation than DePaul, but the truth is they are both easily overshadowed by the city's two academic heavyweights, Northwestern and Univerisity of Chicago.

The reputation of DePaul and Loyola are of sufficient parity that you're better off choosing a school based on the quality and reputation of the department of whatever discipline you intend to study rather than worrying about overall reputation of the universities respective to each other.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Nonetheless, if you are or have been accepted by UW-Madison, I'd go there over Loyola or DePaul because:
  1. Its reputation is at least as good or better than either DePaul or Loyola;

2. Because of this, you get a LOT more bang for your in-state-tuition buck;

3. Its a more well-known school nationally and internationally;

4. Even in Chicago business and academic circles it's considered a very good school;

5. Lots of UW graduates end up in Chicago so there is an extensive alumni network in Chicago;

6. For the foregoing two reasons, the Chicago job market would be just as accessible to you as if you attended Loyola or DePaul, plus you would have an advantage in the Milwaukee and other Wisconsin job markets that you probably wouldn't have if you attended Loyola or DePaul.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
I would go to UW Madison! But to answer the question, Loyola and DePaul are about the same.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:04 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,644,217 times
maybe it would depend on your intended major?

Old 12-10-2007, 06:13 AM

16 posts, read 115,649 times
Thank you for all of the feedback, and I am leaning towards a communications major. UW-Madison is a good school, and I know a lot of people who go there, however I haven't applied and don't intend on doing so. I'm really looking to go to college in a city, and yes, I know Madison is a city, but growing up so close to Chicago and having roots in Chicago I'd much rather be in a larger city than Madison, and plus I love Chicago. Madison just isn't the school for me, and has never really interested me.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:30 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,644,217 times
try to check out which university has a better communications program. check out some of the professor's bios. my son is at depaul but he is majoring in music. i havent heard anything bad from him regarding depaul.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:25 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided2008 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm a high school senior and currently looking at colleges and am considering both Depaul and Loyola. I live in Wisconsin, but my mom is from Chicago and I still have family in Chicago so I am pretty familiar with the city. I know Depaul is considerably cheaper, but I've also heard very good things about Depaul. Which university do you think has a better reputation in Chicago? Any information would be appreciated
I have taught undergrad classes at both Loyola and DePaul. My observations about the difference between the students: In general, LUC has a lot more students on scholarships who are first generation college students. This is a huge generalization but I've found the students at LUC to be very hard working, whereas many at DePaul have a sense of entitlement (e.g., "I don't think it's fair if you take points off if I miss a question on a test." Or "I always get A's. I just didn't have time to study for this test so how do I get my grade changed."). I've also found more diversity between the students I teach at LUC than those at DePaul (again, going off experience). That being said LUC is slightly more reputable than DePaul academically, but in general, they are pretty comparable. You say DePaul is cheaper than DePaul so I''m a bit confused. I honestly am not sure which has the better communication department. Contact the department and look at professor bios, course offerings, internship possibilities, and where the recent grads are employed.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:37 PM

91 posts, read 483,840 times
I've heard fantastic things about the communications program at Marquette in your neck of the woods, MKE. You have an even more reputable school in the same network(Jesuit) as Loyola, and it's a lot cheaper to live in Milwaukee. Just an idea because I have heard of the quality of the program. I'll be going to Loyola next fall, but I'm planning on Marquette for Grad school if I don't get into U Chicago (international relations).

OH and as for cost, you have to find out the amount of institutional grant money and scholarships given, if you look at DePaul and Loyola the cost is about the same when you figure in financial aid. Harvard is the cheapest private school in the nation because they cover 100% of student need. It's all about how a private school takes care of you, unlike a public where it's your job to figure things out for yourself.

Petersons.com is a good resource for research.
US News ranks Loyola higher than DePaul overall, but that's all relative.

It is true that if you have the grades for Northwestern or UC, DO IT!

Last edited by thompson84606; 12-10-2007 at 04:51 PM..

Old 12-10-2007, 06:35 PM

809 posts, read 2,409,275 times
I think UI-Chicago might actually be what you're looking for. Apparently they have one of the top Comm departments in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago