Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 29,482 times

Advertisements

I did my BA at Loyola and my Masters at DePaul. I llearned more at Loyola. DePaul has a quarter system (10-weeks). Loyola has a semester system (16 weeks). The materials and professors are of the same quality - but you get more for you money with a 16-week system; you get time to learn the material rather than feel rushed. My advise - if you really want to learn; Loyola is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 01:44 PM

774 posts, read 2,495,874 times
I went to DePaul for law school, so I have a general understanding of what campus life is like there (I spent my undergrad years at Illinois, so I know all about huge Big Ten college towns, too). One thing to keep in mind is that both DePaul and Loyola are largely commuter schools, although DePaul is attracting more people who are staying close to campus. That is definitely a lot different than being at a place like UW-Madison or another Big Ten school where everyone lives on-campus.

That being said, one thing that DePaul definitely has a reputation for is having an extremely happy undergraduate population (they are perennially at the top of the "happiest students" lists in the Princeton Review) and I can understand why. In my opinion, I'd put DePaul's main campus as having one of the best city neighborhood locations of any school in the country (up there with NYU and Georgetown). Lincoln Park is simply one of the most fun places to live for a young person anywhere if you want an urban setting (as long as you can take the high cost of living). You're right in the thick of a vibrant nightlife scene plus having access to natural park space and the lakefront. At the same time, if you have any business and computer classes, you would be in the Loop campus, which is in the heart of downtown Chicago right by Grant Park and Millennium Park. I'd say DePaul, despite its high commuter population, feels a bit more like a residential college than Loyola - I don't know what it is, but there just seems to be a bit more school spirit, which is a good thing, in my opinion.

At the end of the day, Loyola might be a little higher in the U.S. News rankings, but the average employer in Chicago is going to rate DePaul and Loyola essentially on an equal basis, so it really comes down to how well you do in school. With that in mind, I've seen DePaul students be a very happy lot overall, while Loyola is more of a hit-or-miss thing.

I will say, though, that UW-Madison (or being able to get in-state tuition at any of the Big Ten publics) is a fantastic deal. You'll get a nationally-recognized degree for a bargain. Wisconsin's reputation is very high in the Chicago job market.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:00 AM

3 posts, read 60,627 times
i would have to say DePaul because i go here! and yes most undergrads are very happy kids..price wise both are almost the same. Have many friends and sorority sisters at LUC and i think its a great school wouldve considered going there if i was offered more money! Depaul is well known for business and i heard communication isnt bad either. The campus is one a great neighborhood and 6 weeks off winter break! It is harder in my opinion because you have to rush everything in 10 weeks. not complaining though when you are on vacation while everyone is at school! down side is that we get out for summer later =(

Old 12-19-2007, 06:22 AM

8 posts, read 57,846 times
i am planing on attending DePaul as a grad student next spring. i am an international student so i think its better to live on campus at least for 1 or 2 quarters. .all of my classes will be at the loop campus, How would you rate the Loop campus student housing (University Center Of Chicago)? ,would transportation be an issue if i choose to live near the Lincoln park campus? (The loft student housing) or any of other on campus options ?

Old 12-19-2007, 01:09 PM

3 posts, read 60,627 times
Living in the loop is close by and UCC (university center of chicago) is a very nice dorm..one of the best BUT living at lincoln park will give you the college environment. Loft lounge is great as well..both dorms you chose are on the higher price but look great. This year all the other dorms are only for freshmans. If you live at Lincoln Park, traveling to the Loop is very convienent, just take the red line to jackson which should take 20 minutes but give it more time for travel because the CTA isnt that reliable.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:15 AM

694 posts, read 2,015,736 times
Go with Loyola for a Communications major, especially for radio/tv/film. Loyola has one of the top college radio stations in the country, WLUW, and have many Loyola/WLUW Alums on the air in Chicago including Susan Carlson at CBS 2, Maureen Maher CBS News, Bill Plante CBS News and Lou Cannelis CLTV/ABC 7.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:51 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,381,291 times
Well, I saw you ask about Appalachian State on another thread, and that'd be MY pick... but out of DePaul and Loyola, I'd go Loyola.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:26 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
DePaul is in a cooler neighborhood. But I will agree, if you get into Madison, go there!

Old 12-24-2007, 07:29 AM

6 posts, read 48,496 times
I have my undergraduate degree from DePaul (considered Loyola) and my MBA from Notre Dame. Between the 2 I think DePaul has more brand recognition for their business school and Loyola for their Liberal Arts school. I agree however with gameguy56, if you can get accepted to Univ of Chicago or Northwestern(and can afford it) go that route first. If you are going into business, go with DePaul. Good luck

Old 12-28-2007, 09:37 AM

80 posts, read 302,411 times
No contest: Northwestern. It has a national reputation. More expensive but better return on investment than DePaul. If you are going to settle in Chicago, DePaul or Loyola will do. The University of Chicago is the best school in these parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago