Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:22 PM

55 posts, read 161,924 times

Advertisements

I just had to post about this because when I saw this listing I literally gasped. There is a home at 3600 Illinois Rd in Wilmette that just sold but it is FILLED with mold. 3600 ILLINOIS Rd, WILMETTE, IL 60091 | MLS# 07507769 It sold for a steal (485k) by Wilmette standards, but does anyone know if this can be fixed? Do they have to disclose this to future buyers? My allergies go crazy just looking at the photos. Maybe it is just for the lot and the buyers will tear it down. Sad, since it was just built in 2004.

Just wanted to share. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 12:47 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
OMG, that has got to be a teardown. I'm surprised the property isn't condemned. Wonder who the builder was that built that house? I would stay far away from them! Yikes. The entire house is filled with mold!

Old 06-02-2010, 12:56 PM

I don't think it was the builder. I looked it up on the cook county recorder of deeds and I think that it was foreclosed on and this was a parting gift from the evicted owners. Scary.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:11 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
doubt it's a tear down, but a house of that value can pull a premium fixed up. They may have to gut most of the place, but likely a construction company bought it as a flip. You'd be surprised the nasty shape many foreclosures are in, and what they come out looking once the people restore them.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:05 PM

374 posts, read 1,036,764 times
You think the homeowners caused that, on purpose? Crazy. How do you even do that?

Old 06-02-2010, 02:27 PM

815 posts, read 2,999,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindrakindra View Post
You think the homeowners caused that, on purpose? Crazy. How do you even do that?
Oh, yes, people losing their homes do this on a regular basis. Its easy to fill your house with mold. In a good part of the Chicago area, turning off the power making the sump pump not working, one or two rainstorms, three feet of water in the basement. In a day or so, mold will be growing like crazy.

OR wreck the plumbing with the water turned on. Water will get in every room if its left running long enough. Seen both recently, and both homes were repaired with good results. They both were gutted for the most part. Sad because both homes were in excellent condition (the one house hadn't even been lived in a year, it was also a new house).

Old 06-02-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindrakindra View Post
Happens all the time with foreclosures. I've looked at many and haven't come across one yet that wasn't trashed/gutted in one way or another. Some with holes kicked in the walls, drawing/spraypainting on everything, scratching up hardwood floors, leaving rotten food everywhere, backing up toilets, gutting EVERYTHING in the house, cabinets, doors, windows, the a/c and furnace, anything that wasn't bolted down, removing plumbing, cutting wires,..etc

Old 06-02-2010, 05:39 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
Oh, yes, people losing their homes do this on a regular basis. Its easy to fill your house with mold. In a good part of the Chicago area, turning off the power making the sump pump not working, one or two rainstorms, three feet of water in the basement. In a day or so, mold will be growing like crazy.

OR wreck the plumbing with the water turned on. Water will get in every room if its left running long enough. Seen both recently, and both homes were repaired with good results. They both were gutted for the most part. Sad because both homes were in excellent condition (the one house hadn't even been lived in a year, it was also a new house).
Wow, I'm truly speechless that a homeowner would/could actually do this. Talk about misplaced anger, sheesh. How truly pathetic.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:34 PM

So, just curious, even if gutted, would it have to be disclosed that the property had this level of mold? I have read (and always wondered about) the Ill assoc of realtor mold disclosure and it reads:

The property described herein has has not been previously tested for molds, fungi, mildew and similar organisms (“molds”);

I mean obviously it doesn't need to be tested.....we can all see the mold wallpaper. :-) But, if it doesn't get tested does that mean that it doesn't have to be disclosed?

Anyone know?

Last edited by trickygal; 06-02-2010 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-02-2010, 07:39 PM

From what i've seen yes even on a foreclosure has to disclose there is a mold issue as it's a health hazard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs