Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:19 PM

153 posts, read 209,872 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if anyone has had any personal experiences with New Trier High School. I have heard many comments about how great the athletics at New Trier are. I am wondering how large the class sizes are. I have done research and I am really impressed with the numbers and the Adequate Yearly Progress statisitics. Right now I am looking for homes in Kenilworth and Wilmette. I like Wilmette more than Kenilworth because it seems a bit more vibrant. This past Sunday I went to go look at a home at 1631 Washington Avenue in Wilmette's McKenzie Square. It was a very nice new construction home. I was also curious if this is a nice area, it seemed calm, and there was a lot of newer homes intermixed with the older smaller bungalows.

Thank You.

Last edited by homewifeev; 04-30-2007 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: Clarified Question

Old 04-30-2007, 08:12 PM

153 posts, read 209,872 times
Angry Please!

I can use any help I can get! I really need first hand experiences or thing people have heard.

Thanks

Old 05-01-2007, 10:30 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
Well,untill someone with"first hand" experience comes along,I will say those burbs are lovely,on the lake,easy commute to the city,and good schools.New Trier ranks tops with just about everything all the time,You could google greatschools.com for class size/ratio info

Old 05-01-2007, 04:17 PM

774 posts, read 2,496,155 times
New Trier is generally considered to be the best public high school in the Chicago area, if not the entire nation, for a place that isn't a magnet school (and I didn't go there or live in that area - this is simply the school's long-standing reputation). If you look up the high school's Wikipedia page, its list of alumni would be impressive for most colleges, much less a public high school:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...er_High_School

All of the communities that feed into that school district (Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe, Northfield) are on the short-list of the most desirable Chicago suburbs out there. Pretty much the only hurdle is how much the real estate costs there (this is truly Chicago's version of Beverly Hills or Greenwich, CT), and if that isn't a problem, then you'd be hard-pressed to find better.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:14 AM

9 posts, read 33,593 times
I lived in Wilmette, graduated from New Trier after transferring from a nearby high school. In my opinion, you can't do any better, the school is known as "The University of New Trier." I had a blast, had more opportunity than I dreamed possible of a High School, and was better prepared for College than my pears from other areas of the country.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:43 PM

20 posts, read 90,030 times
I'm moving to Wilmette in two weeks and am excited. I start a job at Wilmette Public Schools, which feeds into the New Trier HS district. Both are recognized as "world class districts," an honor going only to a dozen or so districts in the US. I'm sure some of the current and/or former residents can tell you more, but from what I understand the NT township is the best in the state.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 12,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewifeev View Post
I am wondering if anyone has had any personal experiences with New Trier High School. I have heard many comments about how great the athletics at New Trier are. I am wondering how large the class sizes are. I have done research and I am really impressed with the numbers and the Adequate Yearly Progress statisitics. Right now I am looking for homes in Kenilworth and Wilmette. I like Wilmette more than Kenilworth because it seems a bit more vibrant. This past Sunday I went to go look at a home at 1631 Washington Avenue in Wilmette's McKenzie Square. It was a very nice new construction home. I was also curious if this is a nice area, it seemed calm, and there was a lot of newer homes intermixed with the older smaller bungalows.

Thank You.
School is good but search on internet "why not to go to New Trier" and you will find out the negative aspects of the school. I have read 1 article about a student who wrote about her experiences, and she opened many eyes. For instance, she had mentioned drugs, and obssessions with expensive clothes, purses, extremelly hard time to fit socio-economically if the family is not filthy rich ( I think avarage income is $150.000) , huge pressure on athletic success, and so on. So, if you don't mind your child to be surrounded with students who may very well reflect that style (and pretty much could have anything they want in their life money wise ), and you believe that this attutude will in no way, shape or form, influence or ruin your child's image, perception, self-esteem or confidence, not to mention believes and values.... than it's a great school.

If you, on the other hand believe that you definitelly would not want to take a risk knowingly what's really going on, and if you know that your child no matter how strong often can NOT resist peer pressure otherwise will be an outcast, child may also have no friends, no social life with other students unless there is a complaince, than you can consider some other great High schools in other areas. I can also tell you that the child doesn't have to be in TOP high school to be successful, as long as your child takes AP CLASSES that most of suburban schools offer, and in my opinion school environment is as important as academics, thus make sure you make a right decision the best one for your child, and also don't risk losing your child by not thinking seriously about all of the above. As far as athletics, students often must have a private coach to be able to get in. In regards of Wilmette, I did not like it, it was sooooooo boring to me, and people tend to be more in 50+ age. Streets are often very empty, people are nice, but elderly. The good thing about suburb is that is "known" and good for those who are living that life style, but certainly this is not the best suburb in the country for younger people. Good luck.

Last edited by hagendaz; 05-23-2007 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: n/a

Old 05-24-2007, 11:28 PM

50 posts, read 94,462 times
Default Wilmette's a fabulous place

I've lived in Wilmette and in neighboring Kenilworth most of the time since 1989.

Both of my kids - now aged 23 and 24 - went to Wilmette schools and New Trier. If they can afford it, they'll raise their kids here. Most of the kidis who were fortunate enough to grow up here would not hesitate to do the same if their path through life takes them to Chicago.

The home you looked at is in a great walk-to-train location on a pretty street.

The comment about gang activity Moderator cut: personal insults- there's no such thing here. Contact the Wilmette Police Department if you need to satisfy yourself on that score.

Ignore any negatives you read about New Trier. It's a fabulous place with dedicated, caring, highly competent teachers. When a half dozen teachers show up at a kids' relative's funeral (as they did for mine), you know you're in a special place.

I could go on at length along these lines: don't hesitate to move to Wilmette. You will love it.

Last edited by Marka; 05-27-2007 at 12:23 PM..

Old 05-26-2007, 09:17 PM

69 posts, read 214,980 times
Default Wilmette/New Trier

I have lived in Wilmette for the last five years, and also lived here about 15 years ago....
have one child who graduated from New Trier, and another one there now.

New Trier has a lot to offer, especially if the student is motivated. I would compare New Trier to many other top high schools around the country, such as Mamaroneck HS ( NY), schools in other affluent communities....the students do not lack for anything....the offerings just in the music and art classes are amazing....

however, to excel in music, your student will compete with others who have had years of private coaching....to be in a musical, expect that other students will have had not only voice lessons, but acting and dance ones as well. Small wonder that a recent production of West Side Story at New Trier was practically Broadway-worthy.

Sports are very competitive at New Trier, especially in lacrosse, soccer, and now Rowing ( Crew). New Trier won the Midwest Championships in Rowing this year, and just did quite well this weekend at Nationals....
However, swimming is a no-cut sport, and any student can be on the swim team.

as far as Wilmette goes, crime is low and it is a great pedestrian-friendly area...if you have a traditional family ( mom and dad, decent incomes), you will fit in fine, as will your children. Those who fare less well are the few minority families who live here, and also any single parents would find it hard here. Yes, there is lots of money here, and yes, it can be snooty and pretentious....but that is the down side to living in a community which does have much to offer.
I am not sure that we will stay here, once the kids are grown, but we have certainly gained a lot from our time here.
The street which you mentioned is quite nice, and you can walk to the train station, library, post office, even a small grocery store.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:53 PM

19 posts, read 49,084 times
Default Born and Raised There

I was born and raised in Wilmette in the 1960s and 1970s. Now live in Evanston, and its intresting to see my high school aged kids perspective on the New Trier High School students they encounter. When I was at New Trier, it was not the hyped up place it is today. My kids at Evanston High school see the present New Trier environment as a little sheltered, a little bratty, a little over affluent, and completely homogonous. I think they have a point, but in comparing the academics, I would say that the average New Trier Class is better than the average Evanston class.

But that's just averages, there are good and bad teachers and good and bad students everywhere. If you want to move to Wilmette or Kenilworth for other reasons, fine with me. But don't sacrifice to get your kids into New Trier because its not magic, just a really good high school academically with many unique minuses to deal with. Too bad life is so complicated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs