Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 03:53 PM

153 posts, read 209,766 times

Advertisements

No one has an opinion? This is a big deal.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:01 AM

I am now considering pulling my son out of Roycemore now and putting him in a public school now to finish out 8th grade. We hear Washburne, Sears, Sunset Ridge, and Wilmette Jr. High are all good. If anyone can recommend any of them, it would be helpful. We prefer a school with a smaller class size to help transition (20 to 25). One with a good drama and music program is a must. Is Sunset Ridge in New Trier Township?

Old 06-30-2007, 03:09 PM

677 posts, read 4,209,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewifeev View Post
Is Sunset Ridge in New Trier Township?
Yes. Here is a map of New Trier township and the K-8 districts that feed to New Trier HS: http://www.newtrier.k12.il.us/information/pdfs/township_map.pdf (broken link). Also, I would wait a year instead of switching schools now. Junior high is a really tough time for a kid to have to find a new set of friends. Because in high school the kids come from different junior highs, most don't know each other and it's easier to make friends.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:24 PM

kirsten,

I tried to print this out it says you need permission to print it. Do you by any chance have a printable one or the password? My son has friends that go to Sunset Ridge, Washburne, and Wilmette, which is one of the reasons I am considering them.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:53 PM

677 posts, read 4,209,774 times
Quote:
kirsten,

I tried to print this out it says you need permission to print it. Do you by any chance have a printable one or the password?
It won't let me print it either - that's really strange. What you can do though, if you have image software (Photoshop, for example), is when you're looking at the map, press the "Print Screen" key on your keyboard. Then open Photoshop or whatever program you have, start a new document, go to Edit -> Paste, and then you'll have to crop out the browser window but you'll be able to print the map. (This is assuming you have Windows. If you have a Mac there's a different way to do this.)

Quote:
My son has friends that go to Sunset Ridge, Washburne, and Wilmette, which is one of the reasons I am considering them.
In that case, I would ask him if he wants to switch schools or not. Is he concerned about his safety given recent events?

Old 06-30-2007, 04:14 PM

Yes and so am I. He enjoys walking around after school with his friends, they go out, eat, and stuff. So I want him to be in an area where he can do that without me worrying about stuff like that.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:57 PM

9 posts, read 33,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagendaz View Post
School is good but search on internet "why not to go to New Trier" and you will find out the negative aspects of the school. I have read 1 article about a student who wrote about her experiences, and she opened many eyes. For instance, she had mentioned drugs, and obssessions with expensive clothes, purses, extremelly hard time to fit socio-economically if the family is not filthy rich ( I think avarage income is $150.000) , huge pressure on athletic success, and so on. So, if you don't mind your child to be surrounded with students who may very well reflect that style (and pretty much could have anything they want in their life money wise ), and you believe that this attutude will in no way, shape or form, influence or ruin your child's image, perception, self-esteem or confidence, not to mention believes and values.... than it's a great school.

If you, on the other hand believe that you definitelly would not want to take a risk knowingly what's really going on, and if you know that your child no matter how strong often can NOT resist peer pressure otherwise will be an outcast, child may also have no friends, no social life with other students unless there is a complaince, than you can consider some other great High schools in other areas. I can also tell you that the child doesn't have to be in TOP high school to be successful, as long as your child takes AP CLASSES that most of suburban schools offer, and in my opinion school environment is as important as academics, thus make sure you make a right decision the best one for your child, and also don't risk losing your child by not thinking seriously about all of the above. As far as athletics, students often must have a private coach to be able to get in. In regards of Wilmette, I did not like it, it was sooooooo boring to me, and people tend to be more in 50+ age. Streets are often very empty, people are nice, but elderly. The good thing about suburb is that is "known" and good for those who are living that life style, but certainly this is not the best suburb in the country for younger people. Good luck.
I drove a broken down 1989 Toyota corolla to school every day and no one cared. I never got teased about it, even from my friends who owned $50,000 cars.

I was involved in Football and track, both of which were no-cut. I had a blast and enjoyed the camaraderie even though I had no talent.

I stayed away from drugs, it really wasn't hard.

When my college professors found out I went to New Trier, it opened doors.

The population was so diverse it really seemed like there was a crowd for everyone. I was the only one in my college dorm who had openly gay friends in High School, it wasn't accepted where they came from. I found it strange to hear the word "nerd" or "geek" come out of the mouth of a 19 year old... I remember it being cool to be smart in High School. I had friends with special needs, learning disabilities, etc... they had programs and sorts of assistance provided to them.

And yeah, Wilmette is a suburb... suburbs tend to have young people and old people. I personally wouldn't want to live in Wilmette between the ages of 19 and 30. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, I'd recommend downtown Evanston if you are looking for something to do. I used to take the train down to Wrigleyville... always a good time.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:37 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidebelow View Post
I drove a broken down 1989 Toyota corolla to school every day and no one cared. I never got teased about it, even from my friends who owned $50,000 cars.

I was involved in Football and track, both of which were no-cut. I had a blast and enjoyed the camaraderie even though I had no talent.

I stayed away from drugs, it really wasn't hard.

When my college professors found out I went to New Trier, it opened doors.

The population was so diverse it really seemed like there was a crowd for everyone. I was the only one in my college dorm who had openly gay friends in High School, it wasn't accepted where they came from. I found it strange to hear the word "nerd" or "geek" come out of the mouth of a 19 year old... I remember it being cool to be smart in High School. I had friends with special needs, learning disabilities, etc... they had programs and sorts of assistance provided to them.

And yeah, Wilmette is a suburb... suburbs tend to have young people and old people. I personally wouldn't want to live in Wilmette between the ages of 19 and 30. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, I'd recommend downtown Evanston if you are looking for something to do. I used to take the train down to Wrigleyville... always a good time.
Great Post,you do New Trier proud

Old 07-16-2007, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,656 times
Default wilmette

Please expand on the comments of "those who fare less well are the few minority families here". We are actually moving to Wilmette, and I do recognize that the population is not well diverse, but is there a racist attitude that exist within the community that you know of? I would want to bring my kids in an enviroment that will enhance their growth as world citizens.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:22 PM

69 posts, read 214,949 times
Default Wilmette/New Trier

In all honesty, I do NOT feel that race matters on the North Shore; at least I have not seen that in my 6 + years here.
What DOES matter is Money. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ If you have it, you will fit in here. If you do not, you will find it hard.
I know several wealthy African-American families, and their kids fit in fine, and are very popular.
Avoid this area if your finances are limited, or if you are divorced/widowed, etc.
Otherwise, how will you pay for the country club memberships, etc?
Having said all that, my kids still got a top education at New Trier. But not without being made to feel like they had leprosy by many of their fellow students.
My younger son fared the best, as he has had more time to make friends, came in to elementary school here. Still, it has been hard.
Be prepared! I call it economic racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs