Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2007, 10:14 PM

153 posts, read 209,872 times

Advertisements

I have been reading some reviews on greatschools.net and some other websites. I just moved to Glencoe from Evanston last week. I love my new neighborhood, its so kid friendly, family friendly, even adult friendly. One of the reasons we moved to Glencoe was to avoid Evanston Township High School. Another reason we chose Glencoe over Wilmette and Winnetka because of it's tolerance of African-American families. My wife and son are very light skinned because my wife is part European. We fit in well here, I would say even better than we did in East Evanston. The reviews that I read said that New Trier students were not very tolerent of people with differences. The most common thing I heard was critisizing people because of their orientation. But what I am worried about are racial tensions. We just left Evanston because of that, and I do not want to run into something like that. My son is not weak or anything, and he can deal with bullying and thing like that. I am really woried about thing like kids getting beat up and harassed. Is this true?

Last edited by homewifeev; 10-07-2007 at 11:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 11:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
I don't really have the data to confirm this, but I think you're more likely to find racial tensions in schools where there is, to use today's favorite catch phrase, "diversity." It's hard to have "racial tensions" where there simply aren't enough participants on the other side for there to be any tensions -- you can't have tensions between parties when one party isn't even there.

So racial tensions isn't going to be much of an issue at NT. I went to a school with similar demographics, both in terms of ethnicity and money. Whether or not the 10 or so black kids (in a school of 2,500) were accepted depended a lot on their behavior. Most of them grew up in "white" suburbia and, for lack of a better phrase (even though I hate it), they "acted white" and got along fine with their classmates. The one kid who grew up in the 'hood and moved out to the lilly-white suburbs was never broadly accepted. So basically, culture was more important than skin color.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:38 PM

153 posts, read 209,872 times
I heard there was not even teasing at the school nowadays because you get a breakfast club if you are caught by the security (which is supposedly in every hallway).

Old 10-09-2007, 03:47 PM

162 posts, read 803,545 times
Truthfully, I do not think there are any kids capable of physical bullying at New Trier. I'd worry about prevelance of drugs and drinking, but bullying should not be a big issue - not a rough high school.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:41 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
Let's not forget that your area (Glencoe & the New Trier District) has a very large Jewish population as well. Some of the more native Israeli descendant types tend to have a tan complexion and may even have a similar skin tone to your wife & son. The NT district by default is a less predominantly WASP'ish zone than say the Lake Forest High School district because of the large Jewish presence. However, the ultra-affluent WASP population is still very much alive & kickin' in the NT district as well (lol, just take a stroll through Kenilworth or Winnetka some time).

And you're right that Glencoe has historically had a small, but still significant African-American population. I used to go to school with an African-American "gentleman" at a private high school in Lake Forest, who came from a good family, and seemed to stock up on just about every new rap music release (every week). One time I ran into him in downtown Evanston throwing up gang signs and hanging out with some of his friends from E-Town (Evanston) & swearing & yelling at some car that was passing by. It was a pretty funny situation to say the least. What I'm trying to say was that despite the fact that his family had money and lived in Glencoe (and sent him briefly for private schooling in Lake Forest, and later back to New Trier), the dude made an EFFORT to look & act thugged out. It could've been an age thing too, who knows. Many kids, including many Caucasians & Asians, go through a similar identity crisis at some point in their lives.

By the way, I'm a pretty young person of Indian ethnicity (born in Chicago) that has traveled all over the place and mingles with everyone (anywhere I'm at.....I have a bit of that transient blood in me lol) so I actually don't fit into any of those categories, though I grew up in and around the North Shore (Skokie, Libertyville, two totally different suburbs) for most of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanstonian1974 View Post
I have been reading some reviews on greatschools.net and some other websites. I just moved to Glencoe from Evanston last week. I love my new neighborhood, its so kid friendly, family friendly, even adult friendly. One of the reasons we moved to Glencoe was to avoid Evanston Township High School. Another reason we chose Glencoe over Wilmette and Winnetka because of it's tolerance of African-American families. My wife and son are very light skinned because my wife is part European. We fit in well here, I would say even better than we did in East Evanston. The reviews that I read said that New Trier students were not very tolerent of people with differences. The most common thing I heard was critisizing people because of their orientation. But what I am worried about are racial tensions. We just left Evanston because of that, and I do not want to run into something like that. My son is not weak or anything, and he can deal with bullying and thing like that. I am really woried about thing like kids getting beat up and harassed. Is this true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs