Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 01:34 PM

10 posts, read 28,989 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to Wilmette-- have been looking in Evanston, but not finding a lot available, so are expanding our search. I don't know a lot about the area and am wondering if there is a similar vibe throughout the area or if there is a difference. I would love feedback from anyone who knows the area. We have three kids so are looking for an area that is family friendly, etc… Any helpful feedback welcome (about Wilmette and Evanston). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 06:29 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Eastern Wilmette generally has more charming older homes, somewhat more traditional layout and of course better access to the El and Lake Michigan. Money goes a bit farther on houses to the west, you might have a bit quicker access to expressways for commuting and errands with kids but overall you will probably find that if you are willing to trade "charm" (and maybe a little bit of "address prestige" as well slightly different of neighbors -- western Wilmette tends to attract value minded first generation immigrants) prices can be more attractive than Evanston, and I would argue represent a better overall value -- 929 Manor Dr, WILMETTE, IL 60091 | MLS# 08323163 | Redfin

Old 02-27-2014, 08:35 PM

Yes- I have heard of the prestige issue- and wonder about that. Will my kids be looked upon as second class citizens if we move to west wilmette? I love the old homes, but also like the mid-century/split levels on the western side- mostly for the open layouts/ interiors, not necessarily the exteriors. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 02-27-2014, 11:03 PM

Kids won't really care or notice. Heck even when it comes to high school the things that will matter more are how "personable" kids are -- if you and your kids are out going / involved in things like sports / drama / music that otherwise would be out of your price range because you "overspent" on a more charming house / more prestigious address that is the kind of question you should be thinking about...

Old 02-28-2014, 07:01 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
If someone looks down at you for owning a $600,000 house in the less expensive section of one of Chcagoland's most expensive suburbs, not only would that be weird, but you also probably wouldn't want to associate with such a person.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:56 PM

107 posts, read 247,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
If someone looks down at you for owning a $600,000 house in the less expensive section of one of Chcagoland's most expensive suburbs, not only would that be weird, but you also probably wouldn't want to associate with such a person.
Yeah - I dont really get why there would be prestige of east vs west unless you were right on the lake or maybe a block or two away. I wouldnt worry about the prestige factor. You will run into very very few people that will look down on you and than you can just steer clear of them. There are idiots in all towns.

Buy based on what is most convenient for you and the house that has what you want. Any part of Wilmette is gonna be great.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:32 PM

I appreciate all of you weighing in-- it sounds like it's not as much of an issue as I thought it might be... Not that it necessarily matters to our family-- I just want to know what we might be moving into. I agree re the need to be able to pay for extracurricular activities and not be house poor as well. Thank you!

Old 03-02-2014, 06:31 PM

31 posts, read 65,823 times
The kids do have a term called "wilmetto," that refers to the area south of Lake Avenue and west of Ridge Road, but your kids will have to realize that teasing is part of life.

However to address your question, it really depends on what sort of lifestyle you are looking for. West Wilmette is less walkable, whereas East Wilmette and McKenzie are walking distance to more shopping, transportation, and the lake front.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:40 PM

Default Hmm ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omoikane View Post
The kids do have a term called "wilmetto," that refers to the area south of Lake Avenue and west of Ridge Road, but your kids will have to realize that teasing is part of life.

However to address your question, it really depends on what sort of lifestyle you are looking for. West Wilmette is less walkable, whereas East Wilmette and McKenzie are walking distance to more shopping, transportation, and the lake front.
I have also heard it said that since there are significantly more families with "immigrant drive" and other qualities that are especially highly regarded by start-ups and high paying sectors there is a saying that the kids from the western parts of Wilmette are more likely to show up at a NT reunion with their own success story than kids that tried to coast on family connections, but hey there are also idiots out there like Robert Kiyosaki that get people to believe "A students end up working for C students"...

Old 03-03-2014, 02:58 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apres View Post
We are thinking about moving to Wilmette-- have been looking in Evanston, but not finding a lot available, so are expanding our search. I don't know a lot about the area and am wondering if there is a similar vibe throughout the area or if there is a difference. I would love feedback from anyone who knows the area. We have three kids so are looking for an area that is family friendly, etc… Any helpful feedback welcome (about Wilmette and Evanston). Thanks!
In need of a realtor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs