Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 07:45 PM

51 posts, read 95,075 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Wilmette Harbor next spring. I've never been to Illinois so i'm pretty anxious and excited. Can anyone give me advice on the area? Is it nice? Bad? Where are the "rough" spots?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 08:15 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
I am not sure what you mean about moving to Wilmette HARBOR. There is a harbor in Wilmette, but it isn't someplace with housing. Where will you be working?

If you are moving to the village of Wilmette, IL, I think you will like it. Wilmette has many lovely areas and no real rough spots.

Here is a breakdown of the demographics

The schools are good. Access to the city is good (there is an *el* station and a metra station). The park district is great. The beaches are nice.

Last edited by Yac; 11-25-2020 at 04:30 AM..

Old 11-08-2012, 08:44 PM

Sorry, my husband will be working at the harbor. Some people have mentioned living in Glenview. Is that a nice area that isn't too far away?

Old 11-09-2012, 07:01 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
The Wilmette "harbor" is for pleasure boats and is not open year round. Is your husband involved in parks & recreations or competitive sailing or something similar? I am having a hard time imagining why some one would be relocating for this sort of thing, am I missing a detail? Are you unaware that Wilmette is an affluent suburb on Lake Michigan with almost an exclusively office / professional population?

Old 11-09-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The Wilmette "harbor" is for pleasure boats and is not open year round. Is your husband involved in parks & recreations or competitive sailing or something similar? I am having a hard time imagining why some one would be relocating for this sort of thing, am I missing a detail? Are you unaware that Wilmette is an affluent suburb on Lake Michigan with almost an exclusively office / professional population?
Ahh that makes sense.. He's in the Coast Guard.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:19 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
What is your housing budget? Any kids to consider i.e schools?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:19 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
OK, that makes sense. The Wilmette Coast Guard Station is, relative to many other posts that probably have a lot more violent weather, an easy duty station. If you have kids there are some excellent schols that serve Wilmette and most of the other surrounding towns, but depending on your budget for housing, you may be disappointed in how far you may have to go to find affordable places to live. Near to Wilmette there probably are some affordable places to rent on the fringes. Glenview is only a little more affordable . Towns like Northfield and Highwood are somewhat more affordable, but there are also some rundown apartments in those towns that you probably want to avoid. Further out you might look to some of the older towns like Morton Grove, Niles, or Skokie. If you want a newer town you may have to drive further to someplace like Gurnee. Not sure if there is any advantage to exploring "on base" housing options that might exist near Great Lakes Naval Training base, nor do I know whether the Navy has the ability to accomodate other branches...

Feel free to ask anything, there are an awful of good people here to help!

Old 11-09-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
OK, that makes sense. The Wilmette Coast Guard Station is, relative to many other posts that probably have a lot more violent weather, an easy duty station. If you have kids there are some excellent schols that serve Wilmette and most of the other surrounding towns, but depending on your budget for housing, you may be disappointed in how far you may have to go to find affordable places to live. Near to Wilmette there probably are some affordable places to rent on the fringes. Glenview is only a little more affordable . Towns like Northfield and Highwood are somewhat more affordable, but there are also some rundown apartments in those towns that you probably want to avoid. Further out you might look to some of the older towns like Morton Grove, Niles, or Skokie. If you want a newer town you may have to drive further to someplace like Gurnee. Not sure if there is any advantage to exploring "on base" housing options that might exist near Great Lakes Naval Training base, nor do I know whether the Navy has the ability to accomodate other branches...

Feel free to ask anything, there are an awful of good people here to help!
Thank you for all the information! From what other coasties have said, the Navy housing in Glenview does accept other branches. I will be looking to rent there since it'll cover our BAH. When I quickly browsed rental homes in the area, they all seemed WAY out of our price range so I would love to have housing available!

We only have one child who is still a baby so schools are not an issue at the moment. I'm sure in a couple years I will put him in preschool, though. Do you know if the schools in Glenview are any good?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
What is your housing budget? Any kids to consider i.e schools?
Budget is $1600 and only child is still a baby so no school just yet.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:31 AM

One more question…Just how cold does it get? I'm coming from South Alabama/Florida and the coldest we get is 40. haha What should I expect?

Also, (Sorry for so many questions!) How safe is public transportation? Where i'm from, only the creepie-crawlers take public transportation but I keep hearing things about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs