Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 07:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

Advertisements

Google image search gives plenty

wilmette illinois - Google Search

You can see the Bahai Temple and Wilmette harbor in the 2nd row, 4th picture

Some Wilmette homes here

North Shore Real Estate For Sale | Highland Park IL, Glencoe, North Shore Real Estate- Noah Levy

Gilson Park and beaches
Wilmette Il Gilson Park - Google Search

Wilmette Public Library
Wilmette Public Library - Google Search

New Trier High School
Wilmette public schools - Google Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 08:21 PM

51 posts, read 95,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicklorin View Post
Does anyone know where I can find pictures of Wilmette or Glenview? I've briefly tried looking on here but cant find any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Google image search gives plenty

wilmette illinois - Google Search

You can see the Bahai Temple and Wilmette harbor in the 2nd row, 4th picture

Some Wilmette homes here

North Shore Real Estate For Sale | Highland Park IL, Glencoe, North Shore Real Estate- Noah Levy

Gilson Park and beaches
Wilmette Il Gilson Park - Google Search

Wilmette Public Library
Wilmette Public Library - Google Search

New Trier High School
Wilmette public schools - Google Search
Looks like a beautiful area!

Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 PM

I love the north shore. I lived in northeast Evanston for about 30 years and loved it.

Here are some of The Glen

glenview illinois - Google Search

and Glenview homes

Glenview, IL Homes for Sale & Real Estate | Homes.com

Old 11-12-2012, 06:28 PM

Thank you so much! I was looking on one of the websites and it showed the percentage of adults 21-29( roughly) was very small. Would you say this is accurate for the area? I'm not terribly concerned.. I just don't wanna be moving to a retirement type community and be one of the few in their 20's. haha we are young and primarily stay family oriented but I do like bars and shops every now and then.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 PM

I have no idea of the percentages, but these are not retirement communities by any means. There is a mix of people of various ages. Probably not many bars though in Wilmette or Glenview. In Evanston, you have the college crowd and there are bars.

Many of the people in these towns are young professionals with families. The median age is somewhere between 30 and 40 probably.

In Downtown Wilmette, you have a really great idependent movie theater. There are some nice little shops as well. Also, some nice cafes.

Downtown Wilmette

BlockWalks: Central Street in downtown Wilmette - YouTube

Downtown Glenview
Chicago's North Shore CVB - Our Communities - Glenview

Only one bar, as far as I know in Glenview

Now you can easily get into Evanston or the north side of Chicago for nightlife from either town. Evanston has a ton of restaurants and coffee shops.

Downtown Evanston | Where Chicago and the North Shore Meet
Evanston in the News

There is a lot of nightlife on the north side of Chicago too.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I have no idea of the percentages, but these are not retirement communities by any means. There is a mix of people of various ages. Probably not many bars though in Wilmette or Glenview. In Evanston, you have the college crowd and there are bars.

Many of the people in these towns are young professionals with families. The median age is somewhere between 30 and 40 probably.

In Downtown Wilmette, you have a really great idependent movie theater. There are some nice little shops as well. Also, some nice cafes.

Downtown Wilmette

BlockWalks: Central Street in downtown Wilmette - YouTube

Downtown Glenview
Chicago's North Shore CVB - Our Communities - Glenview

Only one bar, as far as I know in Glenview

Now you can easily get into Evanston or the north side of Chicago for nightlife from either town. Evanston has a ton of restaurants and coffee shops.

Downtown Evanston | Where Chicago and the North Shore Meet
Evanston in the News

There is a lot of nightlife on the north side of Chicago too.
That actually sounds just what were looking for! I want 95%family and 5% night life lol for the RARE moments I get to go out! Haha

Old 11-13-2012, 08:07 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
There are certainly some younger families in Wilmette but they tend to have both some roots in the area (typically one spouse or both grew up there) and some fairly early career success -- with the downturn that early success is harder to come by...

There are plenty of little shops to explore in Wilmette and nearby areas. Resturants that any family would feel comfortable in are plentiful. Bars are not really geared toward random singles but neither are for "old people". The longer history of the neighborly places to share an adult beverage is sorta similar to European small town "pubs" -- mostly for locals, and I am including places that are more or less "road house diners" that also have a liquor license in Wilmette and neighboring areas http://www.ridgeviewgrill.com/dinner.php

http://thehappinn.com

http://www.hackneys.net/locations/

http://www.stormystavern.com/menu/...

Last edited by chet everett; 11-13-2012 at 08:18 AM..

Old 11-20-2012, 12:05 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicklorin View Post
Thank you so much! I was looking on one of the websites and it showed the percentage of adults 21-29( roughly) was very small. Would you say this is accurate for the area? I'm not terribly concerned.. I just don't wanna be moving to a retirement type community and be one of the few in their 20's. haha we are young and primarily stay family oriented but I do like bars and shops every now and then.
It's mostly professionals age 35-65 with children. Relatively few young people (can't afford it), substantial but not huge number of retirees.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:59 PM

115 posts, read 291,523 times
Hey, Slicklorin. As others have posted, both Glenview and Wilmette are nice places to live. The Glen town center is a fun place to walk around on a nice day and the downtown area of Wilmette is fun too. You'll see many parents with young children in both communities so no worries about being in a retirement area. There are some nice rentals in Wilmette and since you have one child you won't need a house. A townhouse or apartment would be fine. (Keep in mind although there are nice condos on Sheridan road that are near the Harbor but there is a larger percentage of retirees in those high rises.) On Ridge road south of Lake Street there are townhouses that have more young families. Your hubby could take the Lake street bus straight to work and then you'd have the car. Lol.

In general Glenview is bigger and more commercial. Wilmette is more home-y. But neither have rough areas and all have nice parks. When your little one is older one of our favorite hangouts on a hot summer day is the water spray park in the Glen. There's also Wilmette beach, pool, many parks, and the library. Both towns have a lot to offer it just depends on what you like when you come here and see for yourself.

Good luck to you and your family!

Sarah

ps. The weather can be a welcomed adventure if you've lived in the South your whole life. I loved it when I first moved here. I missed the snow last winter. It was unseasonably warm and dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs