Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:06 AM

4 posts, read 27,018 times

Advertisements

We are a Jewish family of five (kids' ages 11,9,5) relocating to Chicago from the Northern VA area. We are currently looking at houses in both Wilmette and Glencoe. I know that Glencoe has a very large Jewish population but am wondering about the Jewish population in Wilmette. Are there certain elementary schools in Wilmette that have a larger percentage of Jewish families? How do the families (social, economic, religious, ethnic background) differ between Glencoe and Wilmette?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:07 AM

114 posts, read 387,128 times
The difference is that in Glencoe you won't be the minority. There are Jews all over the NS including Wilmette and I wouldn't say that one particular area of Wilmette is more Jewish than the other. You will find complete acceptance. The population of Glencoe is just under 9,000-Wilmette is right around 28,000.
Feel free to pm me if you would like additional information.
Good luck.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:12 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Glencoe is pretty big step up in cost from Wilmette. Winnetka would be between the two in both cost and proximity, though I don't believe there is any congregation there. Frankly the folks in the Wilmette and Glencoe synagogues are coming from all over, some folks are commuting from Chicago, others from parts of Lake Co.

If you really want a community with a very high percentage of kids of the same faith I think you are going to have to get first hand experience, as those statistics do not exist for the public schools. The very observant folks are probably choosing private schools.

If you are concerned about dietary standards and such I would recommend asking about these things in forums more focused on that: Chicago Jewish Community - Synagogues, Kosher, Schools, Singles, Events

Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,773 times
From personal knowledge, Glencoe is far more Jewish than Wilmette, in terms of population and percentage as Wilmette is large, but that being said, Wilmette does have a lot of Jewish families. Winnetka would be third in that area, followed by Kennilworth, both of which are not Jewish. All will go to New Trier High School, which has a large Jewish student population. Chet is right that a lot of Jewish families from other areas such as SE Lake County and Chicago are going to Glencoe/Wilmette for services.

That whole area, including Highland Park, Deerfield, Glenview, and Northbrook which is adjacent to where you are looking, is heavily Jewish. I heard that the 10th Congressional District, which encompasses all those areas, is one of the three most Jewish in the US.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:30 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
If you could afford it, Glencoe would be more Jewish. West Wilmette is more Jewish than the rest of the village. Buffalo Grove also has a high Jewish population and good schools. A great choice if your job is in the Lake-Cook corridor.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:25 PM

4 posts, read 27,018 times
Default Sale price vs. list price

Thanks for the information. I think we will most likely be happy in either Glencoe or Wilmette.

We've seen a number of homes in both areas. Our realtor is telling us that most homes over $1M are selling for about 80% of list price. I'm curious what everyone thinks about this advice. I'm worried that we're looking at homes that will never come down to a price that we can afford...

Old 03-14-2010, 05:02 PM

Most homes are selling at abut 70%-80% of original list price. The only way to know is to submit an offer. Often the other contract terms Closing date, contingencies, etc.) will depend on whether or not you, the buyer and the seller can agree on a sale price.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:07 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,773 times
If you want a Jewish area that is slightly lower priced, check out Glenview, Deerfield, or Buffalo Grove. Schools in all 3 suburbs are excellent and the Jewish communities are huge. Glenview is a little more diverse, with Buffalo Grove still very Jewish but also changing.

Glenview and Deerfield might be older homes, while Buffalo Grove tends to have homes from the post 1980s.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:19 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default Get a new real estate agent. FAST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw1021 View Post
Thanks for the information. I think we will most likely be happy in either Glencoe or Wilmette.

We've seen a number of homes in both areas. Our realtor is telling us that most homes over $1M are selling for about 80% of list price. I'm curious what everyone thinks about this advice. I'm worried that we're looking at homes that will never come down to a price that we can afford...

Honestly if this agent has stats that back up the closing price of places listed at $1M now closing at $800K the data is simply not coming from the Northern Illinois MLS. The percentage is running much closer to 94% for most of the North Shore, and for towns where it is lower there is generally so little acticivity that one whopper discount on a grossly misspriced places throws the whole rest of the town out of whack.

You are very correct to be concerned that you may be looking at places that will never come into your "zone of affordability". That wastes your time and that of the sellers.

If the agent can gather the stats to support this price cutting I would be amazed, as I have not seen it.

(I am in the western suburbs , the same MLS data is available to me...)

Old 03-15-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Honestly if this agent has stats that back up the closing price of places listed at $1M now closing at $800K the data is simply not coming from the Northern Illinois MLS. The percentage is running much closer to 94% for most of the North Shore, and for towns where it is lower there is generally so little acticivity that one whopper discount on a grossly misspriced places throws the whole rest of the town out of whack.

You are very correct to be concerned that you may be looking at places that will never come into your "zone of affordability". That wastes your time and that of the sellers.

If the agent can gather the stats to support this price cutting I would be amazed, as I have not seen it.

(I am in the western suburbs , the same MLS data is available to me...)
Again-look at original list price. Homes are closing 70%-80% from original list price. Chet, I know we have the same MLS data however you may not being looking at the history of the listings. Clearly you are very knowledgeable but being in the Western suburbs you simply may not be aware of or looking at the listing histories. ( I know I wouldn't if I was looking at MLS data from the Western burbs) So many listings are cancelled after they have been sitting then re-listed at a lower price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs