Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,693 times

Advertisements

The crime in Oak Park was low to begin with so it only takes a small amount of crime to skew the percentages higher

Old 02-28-2009, 01:46 AM

333 posts, read 1,148,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citimom View Post
The crime in Oak Park was low to begin with so it only takes a small amount of crime to skew the percentages higher
If you feel that 166 robberies in 2008 in Oak Park is low(population less than 50,000 people), than you might as well live in Cicero- where you can get a house much cheaper and be just as safe.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:40 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,834 times
Oak Park and the other affluent suburbs closer to Chicago are going to experience more burglaries and robberies due to the poor economy. It doesn't surprise me that this is happening, it happened back in the 80's too.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:32 AM

367 posts, read 1,206,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by promis1 View Post
River Forest=Oak Park- same soft, liberal mentality. AS for River Forest not being very Liberal as you stated, I saw about 500 Obama signs in River Forest and maybe one Mccain sign. Explain that to me. Whats even funnier, is those white guilt, rich people who voted for Obama in River Forest, who obviously are Upper Class, are going to get their liberal butts taxed big time by the Barack Administration. I guess their money isnt as important as their white guilt. Suckers!!!
Dude, it was like this in every close-in suburb and every part of Chicago. The exurbs probably split more evenly or even went McCain, but go look up the stats. You'll see Cook County went for Obama by a margin of over one million votes, and every area close to the city was strongly for Obama.

If you want to get away from areas filled with majority "liberals", if you define "liberals" as those who vote Democrat, you will have to move to the very outskirts of town, or to be certain, leave Chicagoland altogether. But Democrats and what you call "liberals" are not the same thing. I would venture MOST people who voted Democrat in the 2008 elections wouldn't call themselves liberals.

By extension I wouldn't say River Forest is filled with liberals or is remarkable or exceptional in any way. It is affluent compared to its neighbors, but it's not even that rich compared to other parts of Chicagoland.

Finally, most people in River Forest will pay less or the same taxes if Obama keeps his campaign promises (and gets his proposed budget passed as-is). I looked up the census data and in 1999, 80% of River Forest households earned less than $200K. Only households with over $250K income would/will pay higher taxes.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:40 AM

333 posts, read 1,148,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
Dude, it was like this in every close-in suburb and every part of Chicago. The exurbs probably split more evenly or even went McCain, but go look up the stats. You'll see Cook County went for Obama by a margin of over one million votes, and every area close to the city was strongly for Obama.

If you want to get away from areas filled with majority "liberals", if you define "liberals" as those who vote Democrat, you will have to move to the very outskirts of town, or to be certain, leave Chicagoland altogether. But Democrats and what you call "liberals" are not the same thing. I would venture MOST people who voted Democrat in the 2008 elections wouldn't call themselves liberals.

By extension I wouldn't say River Forest is filled with liberals or is remarkable or exceptional in any way. It is affluent compared to its neighbors, but it's not even that rich compared to other parts of Chicagoland.

Finally, most people in River Forest will pay less or the same taxes if Obama keeps his campaign promises (and gets his proposed budget passed as-is). I looked up the census data and in 1999, 80% of River Forest households earned less than $200K. Only households with over $250K income would/will pay higher taxes.
Stop looking at stats from 1999- that 10 years ago- alot has changed DUDE. And if you know anything about River Forest, the majority of its town is upper middle class and upper class liberals who thrive on diversity. Oak park and River Forest are brothers- one is just a little richer and more white. Yes, the majority of Cook County voted for Obama based on empty promises, such as the vow to cut the deficit in half by the end of his 4 year term- although he may end up doubling it with his liberal spending on so many needless things. His stimulus bill really does not create many jobs, nor does it benefit the homeowner who has been paying his/her mortgage on time.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:48 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
If you take away robberies east of Ridgeland, they are cut by more than 60 percent. East of Ridgeland has always had more crime dude to its proximity to one of the poorest areas of Chicago. I'd post the link, but why bother? We all know Promis1's agenda.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:59 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,957,285 times
Quote:
Stop looking at stats from 1999- that 10 years ago- alot has changed DUDE. And if you know anything about River Forest, the majority of its town is upper middle class and upper class liberals who thrive on diversity. Oak park and River Forest are brothers- one is just a little richer and more white. Yes, the majority of Cook County voted for Obama based on empty promises, such as the vow to cut the deficit in half by the end of his 4 year term- although he may end up doubling it with his liberal spending on so many needless things. His stimulus bill really does not create many jobs, nor does it benefit the homeowner who has been paying his/her mortgage on time.
This really isn't the forum to discuss electoral politics. That being said, McCain was simply a horrible candidate and would have made a bad president. The dude couldn't even win Indiana! The Republicans drove the country into a ditch, and have the blood of over 4000 US servicemen and women on their hands. They earned the electoral shellacking they received in 2008.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:23 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,468,177 times
Quote:
If you feel that 166 robberies in 2008 in Oak Park is low(population less than 50,000 people), than you might as well live in Cicero- where you can get a house much cheaper and be just as safe.
Cicero "just as" safe as Oak Park? A little better than that. Try a 25% lower crime rate for 2007 per the Illinois State Police Uniform Crime Statistics. Seriously, that town needs people like citimom and prices are an absolute steal there now. As it's very safe by her standards, no reason she shouldn't buy there now while prices are low.

Cicero, IL, Real Estate Listings and Cicero, IL, Homes for Sale - REALTOR.com®

Old 02-28-2009, 11:25 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Well, clearly Oak Park has become 46% more liberal in the past year, and everyone knows that liberals are in favor of more crime.

Alternatively, Oak Park has become 46% more gay in one year, and this is simply God's wrath let loose upon us. If we get a plague of locust and frogs, we'll know for certain.
that is strange i voted for obama and do you have any idea how much cash i have sent NRA?

Old 02-28-2009, 11:35 AM

367 posts, read 1,206,336 times
Quote:
DUUUUUUDE...get a clue. The U.S. census is the last word on income distribution, and they only happen every 10 years. So 1999 incomes are the most recent data.

Of course River Forest is richer and more white compared to OP.

No comment on the rest of your rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs