Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 11:48 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times

Advertisements

I'm in need of a good-old GM pushrod V8. The LS1 equipped Corvette (1997-2004) can be had for $15k-$20k these days, but the LS1 Camaro (1998-2002) can be had for half the price.

To answer the obvious first question: NO, I don't need back seats.

Both cars have equal straight-line performance. The Corvette handles better in turns, while the Camaro is higher off the ground and easier to drive daily. The Corvette gets slightly better MPG, while the Camaro has cheaper tires.

Is the Corvette worth the double price over the Camaro? Which would you rather have, with price considered?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 11:55 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
In my opinion, yes it is worth the price, by my point of view is that of a person who will drive the car spiritedly. If you are looking for a daily driver that has some spirit, the Camaro would be fine, but if you are taking the car out and driving it for fun, the Corvette is the better car.

The Corvette is something like 600 pounds lighter, has better weight distribution, better visibility, and a lower COG. Plus, when you turn the steering wheel in a Corvette, you actually turn right away, vs the lag in the 98-02 Camaro.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:33 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
I'm in need of a good-old GM pushrod V8. The LS1 equipped Corvette (1997-2004) can be had for $15k-$20k these days, but the LS1 Camaro (1998-2002) can be had for half the price.

To answer the obvious first question: NO, I don't need back seats.

Both cars have equal straight-line performance. The Corvette handles better in turns, while the Camaro is higher off the ground and easier to drive daily. The Corvette gets slightly better MPG, while the Camaro has cheaper tires.

Is the Corvette worth the double price over the Camaro? Which would you rather have, with price considered?
I'm biased but I definitely vote for the Corvette. I'd be willing to bet that you can find much more pristine examples of a C5 Corvette than you could a 98-'02 Camaro.

Many still consider the C5 the most timeless design of Corvette (next to the C2 of course). Even though you can purchase the Camaro for half of what a comparable Corvette would run...I don't think you'd have the enjoyment that a Corvette brings.

I'd recommend looking for a 2002-2004 C5 if you're going that route. The 1997-2001 have quite a few more bugs than the 02-04 models.

But I really can't think of any reasons I wouldn't pick a 'Vette even if the price difference is almost double. They're just too damn fun.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:52 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Vette all the way. A great value.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:32 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Add in - insurance on the Camaro will be substantially cheaper (that is why they have phoney back seats). Parts and maintenance will be substantially cheaper. You will get fewer tickets.

however you are buying the car because it is fun. If it will not be fully fun for you, then it is not worth spending any money at all. It really depends on you, Will the camaro be sufficiently fun? Will you actually use the handling advantages of the vette? Will you ever need to haul stuff or people with you?

If you are not going to push the vette to its limits, then you gain no performance advantage and pay more for nothing. If you will end up wishing all the time that you have a vette, then you will have wasted the money on a camaro. For me, the camaro was fast enough and handled well enough. 95% of the roads I drive on are straight and relatively free of traffic. I rarely race out of lights and never at a track. I do not do burn outs - ever. The Camrao did fine on its few trips on mountain roads. I was able to drive aggressively enough to make my passengers throw up. It was certainly ore of a road hugger than nearly anything else I had driven on those roads.

So it depends on you. How much fun is enough fun for you?

Old 04-08-2013, 02:58 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Why are you buying the car? If you're looking for just balls out straight line speed, get the Camaro and spend that extra money on mods and make it embarrass any stock Corvette you come across.

The reality of it is... GM made a mistake when they put the LS1 into the Camaro/Firebird. It was too close to performance to the Vette in a straight line (some factory freaks were actually faster than the Vette.)

Just ask yourself what your end goal is. Bang for the buck here has to go to the Camaro.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:02 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
Or how about a Camaro SS? I'm sure still cheaper than a vette, but great performance for the dollar.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:46 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times
I'm not looking for all out speed, just a fun, RWD sports car/coupe that doesn't come from Germany. I had an LT1 Camaro years ago and miss that feeling. But then again, this might be my last chance on a Corvette before I have kids.

I can afford the Camaro outright, but for the Corvette I'd have to take a loan. There is the dilemma. I definitely have other avenues I could be deploying that monthly car payment towards. In order to meet the Camaro price in a Corvette I'd have to go back to the early 90's, and as this would be a daily driver, I don't know about a Corvette that old.

As for insurance, I've heard that Corvettes are actually cheaper to insure due to the pool of aged 50+ men that drive them, vs. the aged 25 and below pool in the Camaro. Is there any truth to that?

Old 04-08-2013, 04:03 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
I'm not looking for all out speed, just a fun, RWD sports car/coupe that doesn't come from Germany. I had an LT1 Camaro years ago and miss that feeling. But then again, this might be my last chance on a Corvette before I have kids.

I can afford the Camaro outright, but for the Corvette I'd have to take a loan. There is the dilemma. I definitely have other avenues I could be deploying that monthly car payment towards. In order to meet the Camaro price in a Corvette I'd have to go back to the early 90's, and as this would be a daily driver, I don't know about a Corvette that old.

As for insurance, I've heard that Corvettes are actually cheaper to insure due to the pool of aged 50+ men that drive them, vs. the aged 25 and below pool in the Camaro. Is there any truth to that?
There's more to a car than straight line speed - have you ever driven an F-body Camaro? The handling behavior compared to a C5 Corvette is in my opinion best described as sloppy and not fun.

If you're looking for a Corvette before you have a family and kids, get it now or it could be another 30 years before you can enjoy one.

One thing about the older Corvettes, they aren't typically driven as much as Camaros, so finding low-mileage examples should be easier. This and the typical owner group does contribute to lower insurance costs.

Another good car you could look at is the Pontiac GTO. I would say its the middle ground between a Camaro and a Corvette.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:05 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
I've had both, a 2000 SS Camaro (I've had 7 Camaro's), and now have (since new) a 2004 all optioned Corvette coupe. This is a difficult choice. Tires do cost more, and don't last long, but the Vette is nice. I wouldn't discount any low mileage Vette from 89 on up with a 6 spd.

My insurance was cheaper in California than my 01 F150, but when I moved to Nevada that changed. Also, it's harder to get a jack under the front of the Vette. Good luck on whichever you choose. As someone else mentioned, try and stay newer than 2000. They had some bad motors, and bugs then and before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC