Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 07:41 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,165,864 times

Advertisements

Why is it that when I come upon these cars, they are invariably driving below the speed limit? It never fails. Not once, but twice today. First it was a Viper, then, later, a Corvette. With the Vette, we are on an on-ramp, and Middle-Aged Dude refuses to accelerate until he realizes I am behind in the missus's Kia and about ready to just merge from behind to get around him. I get around and then he goes back to putzing.

In all my years, I have yet to have to pass a Porsche, Lotus, Ferrari et cetera, when I have encountered one. Is this a product of who buys actual sports cars versus "muscle cars?" Can someone explain this? The point of buying one o these cars and then driving like an 80 year-old granny escapes me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 07:51 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,298,679 times
Just because you drive a fast car that means you have to speed?

Old 06-30-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Just because you drive a fast car that means you have to speed?
Oh, sweet Jesus. Did you even read the post? I'm talking about guys in "muscle cars" consistently driving below the speed limit. Can you comprehend that they could increase their speed and still not be speeding? Try. Try hard.

May I assume you've already posted in the left-lane hog thread why you are doing God's work by putzing in the left lane and blocking all those dangerous speeders?

Old 06-30-2013, 08:03 PM

And, by the way, as long as we have a road nanny checking in, may I just note that one of the most dangerous things a driver can do on the road is not accelerate on an on-ramp and reach the speed of the flow of traffic.

One of the consistent hallmarks of poor drivers is their belief that "slower means safer."

Old 06-30-2013, 08:05 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,169,487 times
I what to know why every corolla has a dent in the corner of he rear bumper.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:08 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,150,080 times
Corvette owners are a wide demographic. A large segment of their ownership are the guys that never had a sports car their entire life, they hit their 40's, 50's, and 60's, and decide they finally can afford to get one. Kids are out of college, house paid off, etc. After driving boring sedans all their life though, they drive the Vette the same way, they aren't used to that amount of power and handling.

The other cars you mention, the Porsche, Lotus, Ferrari... those guys are usually taking their cars to the track a couple times per year, and when they drive on public roads, they drive in a spirited manner. Hell, I know one guy with 4 Porsches... only one of them is actually street legal, all the rest are track only cars and wouldn't pass inspection.

The Viper can go both ways, much smaller ownership demographic than Corvette owners, but you get some guys that treat it just like a Vette, where it only comes out for Sunday drives and going to nice restaurants and they never race it or drive hard. But I've also known a few Viper guys that mod their cars and go to at least one track meet a year where they wring it out and actually use the car for what it's for.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Corvette owners are a wide demographic. A large segment of their ownership are the guys that never had a sports car their entire life, they hit their 40's, 50's, and 60's, and decide they finally can afford to get one. Kids are out of college, house paid off, etc. After driving boring sedans all their life though, they drive the Vette the same way, they aren't used to that amount of power and handling.

The other cars you mention, the Porsche, Lotus, Ferrari... those guys are usually taking their cars to the track a couple times per year, and when they drive on public roads, they drive in a spirited manner. Hell, I know one guy with 4 Porsches... only one of them is actually street legal, all the rest are track only cars and wouldn't pass inspection.

The Viper can go both ways, much smaller ownership demographic than Corvette owners, but you get some guys that treat it just like a Vette, where it only comes out for Sunday drives and going to nice restaurants and they never race it or drive hard. But I've also known a few Viper guys that mod their cars and go to at least one track meet a year where they wring it out and actually use the car for what it's for.
Thanks for the reasoned response. Makes sense.

I probably should not have included the Viper, as my experiences before this have mostly been Vettes and Camaros.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:42 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,665,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Oh, sweet Jesus. Did you even read the post? I'm talking about guys in "muscle cars" consistently driving below the speed limit. Can you comprehend that they could increase their speed and still not be speeding? Try. Try hard.
Ahhhhhhh! You are one of those drivers who think the posted speed limit is the minimum speed limit.
If you try real hard, very hard you might read that it says max mph!

Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,102,545 times
I thought the signs with the numbers was just a suggestion?

I have a Corvette and I don't have any issues maintaining the proper speed.

An idiot is going to be an idiot regardless of what car he drives.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:20 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,994,855 times
Having owned a variety of performance cars and trucks over the years, I can say that the reason that you see these guys not hauling the mail is......because they can. They don't have to impress every rice grinder in town because they are comfy with what they have and know that there are few REAL challengers. Maybe some day you'll own a REAL car and then you'll know what the rest of know- confidence that few can stay with you so soak in the sights of a REAL car ricer and maybe some day you can join the big boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive