Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,830 times

Advertisements

BTW, when you compare a modified car with a stock car, it's a useless comparison since the guy with more $ goes faster. If you're going to talk modified fast, you may as well go back to a modified C4 Corvette, those can be had for cheaper than F-body or C5 and be really fast.

The Corvette will retain the value much better and I feel the overall quality of the car is better. And like SpeedyAZ said, it's like a club of some sorts. As for whoever said parts cost more for the Corvette, that's not necessarily true. A lot of the drive train components are the same.

SpeedyAZ, I'm not far from you, I live in El Paso and do plan on visiting AZ on long weekends, more specifically Phoenix to check out some ball games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 09:55 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I'm proud of my C5 loaded Vette that I bought new in 2004, but when you make statements like this you lose face in my eyes. My 69 RS Z28 302 was one piece of history that I'll never forget. To think I lovingly spent years restoring it to OEM spec's to have a youngster say it doesn't compare to a Corvette. It got ****ty gas mileage, but nothing like side stepping a clutch at 6500 rpm and having all hell break lose in the most popular body GM ever made (taken over from the 57 Belair) that can't be explained. My C5 is faster, and gets better mileage, but guess what car my daughter always asks daddy why he sold it?
I'm not talking the '67-'69 Camaro, I'm talking about the topic at hand here. If we're talking modern vehicles, the Corvette walks away from the Camaro in desirability. If we're going back to the 1960's, then it'll be split more evenly of those who prefer the '63-'67 Corvette or those who prefer the '67-'69 Camaro. There's no sense in comparing the popularity of the modern C5/C6 Corvette over the classic muscle/pony cars because they both have very different appealing factors.

Quote:
The Corvette will retain the value much better and I feel the overall quality of the car is better. And like SpeedyAZ said, it's like a club of some sorts. As for whoever said parts cost more for the Corvette, that's not necessarily true. A lot of the drive train components are the same.

SpeedyAZ, I'm not far from you, I live in El Paso and do plan on visiting AZ on long weekends, more specifically Phoenix to check out some ball games.
PM on here if you ever want to meet up. I usually spend weekends up at Lake Havasu on the boat with family/friends but I'm usually in Scottsdale during the week.

It's really not that much fun driving the 'Vette in Phoenix traffic...I much prefer taking it on the twisty canyon roads. The drive to San Diego can be enjoyable, I love cruising along the California coast especially through some of the small towns that litter the coastline.

But it is a club and it's always fun meeting other 'Vette owners.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:10 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,289,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I'm not talking the '67-'69 Camaro, I'm talking about the topic at hand here. If we're talking modern vehicles, the Corvette walks away from the Camaro in desirability. If we're going back to the 1960's, then it'll be split more evenly of those who prefer the '63-'67 Corvette or those who prefer the '67-'69 Camaro. There's no sense in comparing the popularity of the modern C5/C6 Corvette over the classic muscle/pony cars because they both have very different appealing factors.
Okay, so let's compare newer ones? We have a friend with a 2002 SS convertible Camaro with 20,000 original miles to any used stockish C6 with 70,000 miles that doesn't even have ride control (ride control has a computer that changes viscosity of oil in shocks for ride control)? Which would you rather have? Did I mention it was black?

Old 04-08-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Okay, so let's compare newer ones? We have a friend with a 2002 SS convertible Camaro with 20,000 original miles to any used stockish C6 with 70,000 miles that doesn't even have ride control (ride control has a computer that changes viscosity of oil in shocks for ride control)? Which would you rather have? Did I mention it was black?
Not many C6 Corvette's have 70k on the odometer...that's probably about as common as a 2002 Camaro with 20k on it. Regardless, I'd MUCH rather have a Corvette convertible that weighs 3250 lbs with 436 hp over a 2002 Camaro weighing 3600 lbs with only 345 hp. Plus I much prefer the Corvette body style over the Camaro. Not even a question in my mind.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Not many C6 Corvette's have 70k on the odometer...that's probably about as common as a 2002 Camaro with 20k on it. Regardless, I'd MUCH rather have a Corvette convertible that weighs 3250 lbs with 436 hp over a 2002 Camaro weighing 3600 lbs with only 345 hp. Plus I much prefer the Corvette body style over the Camaro. Not even a question in my mind.
You're failing to grasp the point, and are being more pompous than making sense. You don't appreciate a well kept 89 IROC Camaro convertible with a 305 as much as a beat up 05 C6 with 20's and a poor 2nd paint job? I don't tell the guy at a car show with a pristine stock 63 split window that i was the one who smoked him in my Jeep with my modified L98 350. I won't go into owned properties in Surprise AZ, or Bend OR, because you seem to have arrogance brought to a new level.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
You're failing to grasp the point, and are being more pompous than making sense. You don't appreciate a well kept 89 IROC Camaro convertible with a 305 as much as a beat up 05 C6 with 20's and a poor 2nd paint job? I don't tell the guy at a car show with a pristine stock 63 split window that i was the one who smoked him in my Jeep with my modified L98 350. I won't go into owned properties in Surprise AZ, or Bend OR, because you seem to have arrogance brought to a new level.
You asked a question, I gave an answer. What exactly am I failing to comprehend? Obviously I have my own preference of vehicle, it doesn't make me pompous or arrogant to not care for an overweight coupe like the Camaro.

I don't think you're making much sense. You're trying to use extreme examples to make an invalid point. Why not compare apples to apples instead of taking an extreme example of a Corvette with a 2nd paint job (doesn't even make sense) VS a "pristine IROC Camaro".

And now you're blabbering about having a house in Surprise? And I care because why?!

Get a grip.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I usually spend weekends up at Lake Havasu on the boat with family/friends but I'm usually in Scottsdale during the week.
You're right, how dare I consider your used C6 with someone who has a Camaro and a love for GM products. Nothing compares to 2nd owner Corvette people who spend weekends on a brown lake.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
You're right, how dare I consider your used C6 with someone who has a Camaro and a love for GM products. Nothing compares to 2nd owner Corvette people who spend weekends on a brown lake.
You've got some problems . You're really going so far off the deep end here that it's almost impossible to have an adult conversation. Not sure if it's jealousy or if you have some psychological problems but there's really no need to be condescending.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
You've got some problems . You're really going so far off the deep end here that it's almost impossible to have an adult conversation. Not sure if it's jealousy or if you have some psychological problems but there's really no need to be condescending.
It's a simple matter of appreciation for what others do, and collect than my way or the highway. You come across as a legend in your own mind without understanding the desires of others. Just because you were blessed with owning a car that says made in Bowling Green, KY does that make it better than any other well kept car? This has been a lesson in humility for you, so you can quit being so full of yourself. Any well kept car has a certain value that the OP needs to weigh in his decision making process, and because you feel smug in your C6 vs my C5 don't mean crap when I'm home all day at 52 while you work for a wage.
I will always admire Low Rider magazine, and the girls, and craftsmanship that they brought to our hobby. Bless you mi Amigos!

Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,699,859 times
Quote:
I'd rather have the C6.

Getting back on topic, one other thing that was mentioned earlier is the owner's groups. Corvettes have large and active owner groups, have group events, drives, etc, and that aspect of community can also make car ownership more rewarding and enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC