Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:14 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,968,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
The "cold" reality is that Corvette owners care as much as a Camaro going faster than them as much as a Ferrari owner cares about a Corvette going faster than them.
Spoken from someone who likely does not own any of the above mentioned cars, I wouldn't expect you to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
What romp? The Camaro barely pulled a car length. Slap a blower on that Vette and it would be a romp. Comparing cars in various unknown states of modification and then suggesting one model is better than another is silly, don't you think?

Life is not a straight line.
The Camaro was slow shifting, probably because it was slipping or he didn't want to break it with as much power as it was making.

I never said the Camaro was BETTER than the Corvette, just that it can be made faster for cheaper than a Corvette.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:06 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
The Camaro was slow shifting, probably because it was slipping or he didn't want to break it with as much power as it was making.

I never said the Camaro was BETTER than the Corvette, just that it can be made faster for cheaper than a Corvette.
Or that the Corvette owner was even using the full potential of his engine? I'm sorry but a new Z06 Corvette is going to blow the doors off of MOST vehicles on the road. For a '98-'02 Camaro to even hold their own against a C6 Z06, the Camaro better be making north of 650 hp. Ever the CURRENT Camaro ZL1 with numerous improvements over the old generation, cannot hold a candle to a Z06 in any situation.

Mathematically speaking, the Z06 has a power to weight ratio of 0.16 hp/lb while a base Camaro is 0.094 hp/lb. To physically beat a Z06 in a straight line, the Camaro would almost need to double its horsepower numbers and then you still have to think about weight distribution and other factors.

Sorry but that video absolutely proves nothing.

Quote:
Spoken from someone who likely does not own any of the above mentioned cars, I wouldn't expect you to understand.
A base Corvette can blow the doors off of 95% of vehicles on the road. A Z06 competes with supercars from Ferrari, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, etc. In stock form, a Corvette is one of the best values on the market and I don't think anyone can argue with that.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Or that the Corvette owner was even using the full potential of his engine? I'm sorry but a new Z06 Corvette is going to blow the doors off of MOST vehicles on the road. For a '98-'02 Camaro to even hold their own against a C6 Z06, the Camaro better be making north of 650 hp. Ever the CURRENT Camaro ZL1 with numerous improvements over the old generation, cannot hold a candle to a Z06 in any situation.

Mathematically speaking, the Z06 has a power to weight ratio of 0.16 hp/lb while a base Camaro is 0.094 hp/lb. To physically beat a Z06 in a straight line, the Camaro would almost need to double its horsepower numbers and then you still have to think about weight distribution and other factors.

Sorry but that video absolutely proves nothing.

A base Corvette can blow the doors off of 95% of vehicles on the road. A Z06 competes with supercars from Ferrari, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, etc. In stock form, a Corvette is one of the best values on the market and I don't think anyone can argue with that.
You mean like this kind of Camaro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKEaQIGqvWA

Old 04-14-2013, 09:27 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
You mean like this kind of Camaro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKEaQIGqvWA
It looks like the Camaro mashed the gas while the Corvette was cruising along THEN when the Corvette driver gives the sign, he passes the Camaro handily within a couple of seconds.

I think you inadvertently proved my point.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:27 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,472 times
I'll take neither unless the Corvette is a C6 ZR1 then I'll have to make some room in the garage.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
It looks like the Camaro mashed the gas while the Corvette was cruising along THEN when the Corvette driver gives the sign, he passes the Camaro handily within a couple of seconds.

I think you inadvertently proved my point.
What video were you watching? The Corvette had 1/4 car length on him, I guess if you call that passing, can't really do a lane change when you're only 1/4 car ahead of the next person.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:04 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,124 times
Quote:
Not many C6 Corvette's have 70k on the odometer...that's probably about as common as a 2002 Camaro with 20k on it. Regardless, I'd MUCH rather have a Corvette convertible that weighs 3250 lbs with 436 hp over a 2002 Camaro weighing 3600 lbs with only 345 hp. Plus I much prefer the Corvette body style over the Camaro. Not even a question in my mind.
I had a 2000. Track weighed in at 3250 with spare out and low on fuel. Mildly loaded, with t-tops.

Btw the same year corvette/camaro had nearl identical engines most years. Minus stuff for fitment. Camaros have dynoed 300-320 to the rear wheels from the factory despite being rated 300 at the flywheel. Reason for underating.... nothing is supposed to compare to the vette. I thi mm k the gnx, cyclone/typhoon are the only gm cars to be rated more then that year vette until recent times with the expansion of the ls engi e.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-15-2013, 08:31 AM

799 posts, read 2,441,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Thanks. What issues would I want to look for in buying a C5 with over 100,000 miles?
Id spend some time on a few corvette forums if I were you, but off the top of my head, used C5's are very solid cars mechanically, but have electrical issues.

Ive read a few threads about taking the time to completely disassemble the ground connections and that eliminates several common issues.

Here you go:

Plenty of c5 info.
Corvette C7 - C1 Reviews, Performance, Parts For Sale - CorvetteForum.com

Old 04-15-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I had a 2000. Track weighed in at 3250 with spare out and low on fuel. Mildly loaded, with t-tops.

Btw the same year corvette/camaro had nearl identical engines most years. Minus stuff for fitment. Camaros have dynoed 300-320 to the rear wheels from the factory despite being rated 300 at the flywheel. Reason for underating.... nothing is supposed to compare to the vette. I thi mm k the gnx, cyclone/typhoon are the only gm cars to be rated more then that year vette until recent times with the expansion of the ls engi e.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Spot on. GM couldn't have a $25,000 Camaro having the same official horsepower rating as a $45,000 Corvette. People like to say that they detuned the engine, or gave the Corvette a better flowing exhaust, more aggressive heads, etc. This is all true in the Corvette Z06 with the LS6 engine that produces 405HP, but not the LS1 Corvette. Same engine, engine bay just looks a little different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC