Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:09 AM

444 posts, read 1,250,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Just out of curiosity, what exactly allowed you to tell various 4th Gen Camaro's apart? The only visual difference besides the SS's hoodscoop were the badges, rims and exhaust and all of those were rather subtle and you had to really look to be sure. The 2010's are even more subtle in that way, but pretty much the same thing...badges, rims and exhaust. I'm just saying that it seems a little nitpicky.
Maybe I haven't read enough about the 2010's, but I can't tell a difference. If they had the badges, hoodscoops, and spoiler I would be able to. Nitpicky? Probably..but if I'm paying for the premium package in a car like that, I want it to look different from the first glance than the 6 cyl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 10:13 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
the headlights and grill were changed on the 98-02 that how I did it

94-97 Z28/SS

98-02
It's easy to tell the model year differences between the early and later 4th gens based on the headlights, but the poster was referring to the differences between V6, Z/28 and SS models. Those differences are a lot more subtle among the same year car and are mainly badges, rims and exhaust. It is harder on the newer 2010+ ones, but not that much different. IDK, to me it seemed the poster was complaining that there wasn't enough model differentiation among the same year and was using 98-02 as an example. To me the model differences are a little more subtle than those years, but nothing crazy.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPX2 View Post
Maybe I haven't read enough about the 2010's, but I can't tell a difference. If they had the badges, hoodscoops, and spoiler I would be able to. Nitpicky? Probably..but if I'm paying for the premium package in a car like that, I want it to look different from the first glance than the 6 cyl.
I get what you're saying and agree to an extent. The SS should stand out a little more from the base V6. However, it was the same way in the 4th gens and the Mustang is the same way as well. I think a large part of the confusion on the newer ones is that both the V6 and SS can be equipped with the RS package, which makes them virtually identical except for the SS badges and some subtle trim. Most of the new Camaro's I see are RS packages and unless you look for the badge it is hard to tell. So, I do get what you are saying and it can be tough, but not such a departure from the previous generation and the way those were badged.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:21 AM

747 posts, read 2,758,687 times
The new Camaro (not the one pictured in the OP) is a great retro-inspired modern design, unlike the purely retro, almost copy/paste jobs done on the 'Stang and especially the Challenger. The Challenger is good-looking if you've never seen an older muscle car; if you have, it just looks hideously imitative. The rear overhang on the Mustang is so ungainly, the C pillar and rear qtr window is unimaginative and the tiny headlamps look like they're being shielded by the hood in shame. The grille-mounted lamps are yet another poorly-conceived, almost sycophantic ode to a bygone era.

That being said, I'd go for the better performer almost every time. I haven't comparison driven them myself, but by all accounts the Mustang is better in both V6 and V8 forms.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:49 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Exterior not bad....Love it in black...And I could do without the hockey sticks. It's the interior that reeks of cheapness! A friend of ours recently bought one. His biggest complaint is he was looking for a muscle car with a muscle car ride and handling. He says it rides more like a Lexus...and really dislikes the car...passing it on to his wife. And this from a guy who owns a classic car shop! (Why he bought it in the first place is beyond me)
I agree. I got a chance to sit in a coworkers Camaro and was appalled by how badly the interior was done. I have a 2006 Lotus Elise and a 2003 Corvette Z06 which Im selling. The amazing thing is that the bare-bones 1950lb Elise has a nicer interior with better materials than either GM car. You'd think that GM would have drastically improved their interiors in seven years, but I don't see much of an improvement.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:23 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,584 times
Still trying to figure why Chrysler never sued GM in 1998 for stealing the front of the Chrysler 300 and attaching it to the Camaro?

Old 08-10-2010, 08:55 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
The new Camaro (not the one pictured in the OP) is a great retro-inspired modern design, unlike the purely retro, almost copy/paste jobs done on the 'Stang and especially the Challenger. The Challenger is good-looking if you've never seen an older muscle car; if you have, it just looks hideously imitative. The rear overhang on the Mustang is so ungainly, the C pillar and rear qtr window is unimaginative and the tiny headlamps look like they're being shielded by the hood in shame. The grille-mounted lamps are yet another poorly-conceived, almost sycophantic ode to a bygone era.

That being said, I'd go for the better performer almost every time. I haven't comparison driven them myself, but by all accounts the Mustang is better in both V6 and V8 forms.
Ford was so ridiculously close with this particular Mustang design...I mean the 2010/2011 in Grabber Blue really makes those lines and the overall shape look like heaven on wheels. But that damned rear overhang is just so stupid...especially with the front overhang now being as short as it is compared to the previous generation of Mustangs. I still think that the Mustang is by far the better looking and better performing vehicle though out of the modern ponies. I also like the look of the V6 model better than the GT, I understand why they did it but indeed the extra two fog lights being placed on the center grill kind of look strange on such a modern car and in effect give it flairing nostrils. I know it's for the retro theme and it's what the people would have wanted from a retro inspired design like that, but personally I think that it's pretty ugly. So many times I've gone online or walked onto a dealer lot and used my thumb to cover up the rear overhang...that car would have been SO AMAZING if it had a short rear deck instead of that weird slab hanging off of it, they could have easily sliced off half of that mess or more and had a piece of art. Seriously, just take your thumb and place it vertically right on the edge of the right side of the fuel door so that the rest of the car is covered up...it looks so much better with the rear overhang in proportion to the front:

As for the Camaro...yarg. Man, it's striking and an attention getter for sure..but the thing looks too much like some kind of evil computer car sent from the future to off John Connor and screw with Arnold. The overall idea was good, but it's just way too much. There's no need for those 20" and 21" rims either, that's just laughable. It also handles like a boat and could stand to get smaller and also drop a few pounds. I'll take the 'Stang any day. The interior needs major work as well, way too much like a cyborg playschool toy in there...this is where Ford really did a particularly good job with the Mustang, the interior actually looks the part while the Camaro tries way too damned hard and actually appears kind of dorky. And the Challenger doesn't even exist in this argument as far as I'm concerned, it's a nice car but doesn't hang with the Ford and Chevy offerings.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 08-10-2010 at 09:12 PM..

Old 08-11-2010, 01:18 AM

22 posts, read 44,091 times
I don't know. Looks pretty close to me.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:23 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I miss my 69 Camaro with the 327
I don't blame you.

As for the new Camaro, one of my friends bought a 2010 SS with automatic transmission.

Plenty of power but a very hard and jarring ride. A fun car for those who don't mind a punishing ride but I wouldn't want one. A '69 Camaro, though, yes!

Old 08-11-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Still trying to figure why Chrysler never sued GM in 1998 for stealing the front of the Chrysler 300 and attaching it to the Camaro?
lol...I remember my street 'crusing' days and always wondering if the car coming up behind me was a Camaro or a Chrysler. I used to get so pissed when it was some old lady in a Sebring and not someone who might want to "cruise" with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC