Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 08:07 AM

8 posts, read 54,349 times

Advertisements

its greatschools dot net. I just checked it and it worked. hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2006, 12:57 PM

19 posts, read 86,270 times
We are seriously considering buying a home in south charlotte. We have a 3 year old so a good elementary school is very important to us. I know that the schools in the Ballantyne area are great, but we have yet to find a home that fits our budget in that area. I've heard that fort mill, matthews and union county are good. does anyone know anything about this

Old 11-22-2006, 03:00 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
Schools in union county have some of the highest ratings in the state -- check this site: http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/ though Union County is getting higher in price. South Carolina school reports are http://ed.sc.gov/topics/researchandstats/schoolreportcard/ (broken link)

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or would like help in your search for a home. Best of luck to you and Happy Thanksgiving all!

Old 11-26-2006, 08:37 AM

64 posts, read 315,842 times
Default Fort Mill Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vini View Post
We are seriously considering buying a home in south charlotte. We have a 3 year old so a good elementary school is very important to us. I know that the schools in the Ballantyne area are great, but we have yet to find a home that fits our budget in that area. I've heard that fort mill, matthews and union county are good. does anyone know anything about this
We are currently in the process of moving from Cincinnati-Charlotte. In fact we will be down there Dec 15. We tried to find a rental on the Fort Mill side due to the schools. The issue that they have right now is that they have reach their max student enrollment. They shut the school down and will not allow any new students. But they are building 2 new Elementary schools. We were told that after that they could re-district all the schools. Which means that you could be where there is a great school and then wham ---a not so great school.
We are renting in the Ballantyne area- the school that are 8 year old will be going to is Hawk Ridge. We were just there over turkey day and I talked to the principle. They are over crowed but it is a wonderful school.

Old 11-26-2006, 01:23 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
My kids were in Hawk Ridge before we moved "across the border" into Union County. I agree -- we were very happy with the school even though it was overcrowded. IMO, the principal is VERY good.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:45 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxgal View Post
We are currently in the process of moving from Cincinnati-Charlotte. In fact we will be down there Dec 15. We tried to find a rental on the Fort Mill side due to the schools. The issue that they have right now is that they have reach their max student enrollment. They shut the school down and will not allow any new students. But they are building 2 new Elementary schools. We were told that after that they could re-district all the schools. Which means that you could be where there is a great school and then wham ---a not so great school.
We are renting in the Ballantyne area- the school that are 8 year old will be going to is Hawk Ridge. We were just there over turkey day and I talked to the principle. They are over crowed but it is a wonderful school.
The information above is not totally correct (in regard to the Fort Mill School District). I addressed this situation to fauxgal already on the SC forum side (in further detail) back on 10-27 when this same similar statement was made.

There is only ONE school currently under an enrollment freeze within the Fort Mill School District and that happens to be Orchard Park (which is located within Baxter Village). Any new students that are within the Orchard Park boundary would be sent to Riverview Elementary (until existing elementary schools are added on to, or the new schools are built) .

I will not deny that the Fort Mill School District is a rapidly growing school district. But so are most schools that are within close proximity to the Charlotte area. The Fort Mill School District takes great pride in the education the children receive here. They are also very well aware of the excellent reputation they have and wish to continue it as so. I do not agree that there are any "not-so great" schools within the district (I would not hesitate to send my children to anyone of the other elementary schools within the district).

If anyone is interested in the Fort Mill School District more information is available at the Fort Mill School District website.

Again my information above is only in regard to Fort Mill....I too have heard that Hawke Ridge was a good school (just overcrowded).

Old 11-27-2006, 08:37 PM

17 posts, read 54,520 times
Cabarrus was the best but now it is getting so over crowded because everyone want their children to go there. I would go to Iredell county

Old 12-01-2006, 01:09 PM

40 posts, read 181,921 times
I would like to know about working for the school systems in the Charlotte area. Would you recommend teaching/counseling in Charlotte schools or the surrounding counties. Which are the best in terms of pay, relocation assistance, student progress and assessment data, etc. Just general information about working for the school districts in the Charlotte area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte