Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 03:16 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet
Tried it and it no longer exists. Just sponsored links under the heading "related to greatschools dot net"

BUMMER!
It still exists. try this greastschools.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2006, 11:44 AM

7 posts, read 178,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet
Tried it and it no longer exists. Just sponsored links under the heading "related to greatschools dot net"

BUMMER!
I just used great schools dot net and it is working. Make sure to add the "s" at the end of "school".

Old 08-06-2006, 01:58 PM

146 posts, read 638,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues
It's still CMS territory. Not worth it if you have kids. North Mecklenburg schools are the most overcrowded in the district. Gangs showing their ugly head in the middle schools and high schools. But if you ask CMS they'll say "Nooooo. There aren't any gangs. That shool is just ummm... diverse, ya thats it diverse."
We need to be diverse AND tolerant which equals victim.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:07 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencityarea.com
I disagree while CMS does have some bad schools as with any district there are many that are very good. North Meck has mentioned in previous posts was ranked well in the times magazine as being one of the best in the nation. Yes I agree it is overcrowded but there is a couple of New schools being opened in the up coming months.
Have you even been to a CMS school?? If you were a student in one I'm willing to bet you'd have a different opinin. There is so much crap that goes on in CMS schools that you don't hear about on the news. Vilolent crime and crime in general is rampant. The only reason North Meck was on that list was because of the IB program there. Thats the only thing even remotley good about North Meck. They fit 3100 students in a school built for 1200. The new schools being opend up arent even in the most overcrowded regions of Mecklenburg county. I graduated from North Meck. Sure you could say school is what you make of it but sometimes it's impossible because other people with their issues want to impeade you. They treat their teachers like cattle, they rarely if ever expel students for a serious crime, nothing is ever on a personal individual level. Youre either trying to sell houses or you work for the city. STAY AWAY FROM CMS SCHOOLS!

Old 08-07-2006, 06:37 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,833,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues
Have you even been to a CMS school?? If you were a student in one I'm willing to bet you'd have a different opinin. There is so much crap that goes on in CMS schools that you don't hear about on the news. Vilolent crime and crime in general is rampant. The only reason North Meck was on that list was because of the IB program there. Thats the only thing even remotley good about North Meck. They fit 3100 students in a school built for 1200. The new schools being opend up arent even in the most overcrowded regions of Mecklenburg county. I graduated from North Meck. Sure you could say school is what you make of it but sometimes it's impossible because other people with their issues want to impeade you. They treat their teachers like cattle, they rarely if ever expel students for a serious crime, nothing is ever on a personal individual level. Youre either trying to sell houses or you work for the city. STAY AWAY FROM CMS SCHOOLS!
I actually wrote the other thread but they did not like my screen name here. Anyways. Yes I went to North. I graduated from North. My time there then was far different than yours. My oldest starts school this year an will go through the CMS system. While some schools are over crowded I do not believe teachers alone are the answer. You must be interested in what your child is doing and get involved. We have the biggest schools sytem in the state of course it will not please everyone. It all starts at home.....

As far as your comment about selling homes or work for the city I am here just to pass on the info I know about the area. I have traveled the East Coast and there is no other place that I would rather try to raise a family as the good so much out weigh the bad.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,232 times
Default moving to charlotte

i am moving to charlotte, with a middle schooler and a high schooler. i myself am a teacher. so i have heard all the things about how bad the schools are, and how private school is the only way to go. or how myers park/ag middle are the alternatives if you can't afford private. i am skeptical about this; ask me again in a year, after i've had my kids in school there and have spent a year teaching in the system!

we looked in carabus (sp?) county, in concord. houses are much less expensive than in charlotte. but there is a huge jail downtown, that is looking to expand. the people opposed to it are mounting a huge campaign, called something like "the jail trail". everyone on the main street was trying to sell their house.

i'd look for a school district with a low student/teacher ratio, and look at class size. is the ratio low because the teachers have helpers? I think one of the most important factors in education is class size. you don't need fancy equipment; you need the attention of the teacher.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:50 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmerry
i am moving to charlotte, with a middle schooler and a high schooler. i myself am a teacher. so i have heard all the things about how bad the schools are, and how private school is the only way to go. or how myers park/ag middle are the alternatives if you can't afford private. i am skeptical about this; ask me again in a year, after i've had my kids in school there and have spent a year teaching in the system!

we looked in carabus (sp?) county, in concord. houses are much less expensive than in charlotte. but there is a huge jail downtown, that is looking to expand. the people opposed to it are mounting a huge campaign, called something like "the jail trail". everyone on the main street was trying to sell their house.

i'd look for a school district with a low student/teacher ratio, and look at class size. is the ratio low because the teachers have helpers? I think one of the most important factors in education is class size. you don't need fancy equipment; you need the attention of the teacher.

You don't need to live in Concord to be in the Cabarrus county school district.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:23 PM

4 posts, read 12,244 times
My family and I relocated here too within the past 6 months. I lived in Fayetteville during my high school years but I definitely would rather live in Concord than Fayetteville. Even though I've heard Mooresville has received top notch ratings for their schools, I haven't heard many bad things about Cabarrus/Concord schools. I've been checking the schools' websites (especially the ones my son will be attending) and they all seem very updated, well-rounded schools.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:47 AM

13 posts, read 34,691 times
Default Greatschools

That Greatschool....dot...net website is still active. I use it all the time.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:40 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,195 times
Connie - I'd agree. While the CMS administration is deplorable, there are some great schools out there in the system. My main fear is getting re-zoned out of the great school we're in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte