Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 05:00 PM

103 posts, read 460,729 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I feel that the noise in our community (Berewick) has increased considerably during the last week. You can see lots of low flying planes.

Does anybody know if the new runway is now open?

Did they just change the flight pattern or is it the new runway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 05:03 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,321,855 times
I believe just the flight pattern due to change of the winds the last few days.
You usually would use the runway which takes off into the wind.

Flying in last week it did not look like the new runway (near 485) was open yet.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:30 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,868,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lividsun View Post
Hi there,

I feel that the noise in our community (Berewick) has increased considerably during the last week. You can see lots of low flying planes.

I believe the new runway is not scheduled to open until 2010 or 2011. Mullman was correct- the runways are assigned based on the prevailing winds. The weather pattern has been great for us, because approaches are way down, here on the north side.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:00 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,139,919 times
yep - everyone else is right. they have a diagonal runway that they use when winds are from whatever direction the were from the past few days with the low pressure system and whatever else is going on...sorry for the horrible description! we noticed it too, but have also noticed it in the past. they were using a different runway for takeoff this morning, and switched back this afternoon. I'm sure when the weather clears up it'll go back to normal.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:39 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,468,781 times
When we lived in Berewick, it was almost like clockwork at 6am every day the jet noise. When they'd launch from the diagonal runway shooting southwest, the climbing jets would pound the neighborhood with noise. Not that I'm complaining...the airport was there first. Some folks in the neighborhood swear that there is no noise. I beg to differ. It was so loud and deep (especially with US Air's prop jobs) that my truck alarm would chirp due to vibrations...not to mention the cheaply built McCar house we were renting would vibrate and rattle!

Old 05-26-2009, 02:13 PM

we live in the Shea section and hardly ever hear the planes. You can hear them all over the city though, it's just like the crime here - it's everywhere! I was over near Rea and Colony on Saturday and the planes were so low we couldn't talk when they were overhead. I experience the same thing in Ballantyne.

that's what happens when you live in a city with a busy airport!

Old 06-05-2009, 05:15 AM

103 posts, read 460,729 times
Hi there,

I found some interesting posts on the Berewick forum:

1) To file a complaint, please call (704) 359-4008.- Also, there appears to be a meeting scheduled for July 8th at 6pm at Steele Creek Presbyterian Church. (I have not verified this meeting date nor what it's about.) Thread Login (http://berewickforums.com/forums/index.php?topic=311.msg1667;topicseen#new - broken link)

2) ....Just this morning I spoke with a gentleman at the airport and he said effective May 20th they have changed the flight pattern back to the way they have flown for over 20 years....however for approx. 1 year prior to May 20 they were running a test program where they took off and didn't turn for 7-8 miles out.....that's the reason why we haven't heard them until now.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,260 times
Default noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lividsun View Post
Hi there,

I live in waxhaw, nc. and have been here for 3 years and not a single plane in the area. However, the new runway is open and charlotte-douglas has changed flight pattern and its not just because of the wind. because i here planes 24/7 over our community and its every 5 minutes or so.

not sure where berewick is, but the noise is over here and it is terrible

Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 AM

No noise here! I have been watching them take off and land from the new runway and I'm happy they are not flying over our neighborhood. I'm in Berewick. When I worked in Ballantyne, they were so loud we couldn't even hear ourselves shout. That's just part of living in a city with a big airport, I'm afraid.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,701,194 times
Yes, the runway is now open. At the closest point to Berewick, they fly just over the CVS. I have not noticed a difference in noise, and I do love living close to the airport, it makes my commute to it only 10 to 15 minutes. Like coastalgirl says, it is just part of living in a city with a big airport. Like I always say, "can't stop progress!!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte