Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2008, 05:00 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,262,030 times

Advertisements

See http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/ebmqykztyhfayr7y6sxa4m36ggpirmp5mojypys22uj7bfzdhp ln6nwnwda365wzq2rpao6so5vnyrvigeztt73owse/NeighborhoodUpdateNovember2008.pdf (broken link)

Quote:
FAR PART150 Public Meeting Scheduled

A Public Meeting on the FAR Part 150 Noise Compatibility Program will be held Tuesday, December16 from 6pm – 8pm at Steele Creek Presbyterian Church. The Airport is currently updating the FAR Part 150 Noise Compatibility Program, a federally-funded program that focuses on balancing the Airport’s operational needs and its impact on the surrounding community.

The Noise Compatibility Program has two major components; the Noise Exposure Maps and the Noise Compatibility Plan. The Noise Exposure Maps identify the noise contours for the current conditions and projected conditions. This Update will produce contours for 2009 and 2014. The Noise Compatibility Plan identifies the Noise Abatement, Noise Mitigation and Land Use measures the Airport uses to address noise issues in the surrounding community.

Since completion of the last Update in 1997, the Airport has seen a multitude of changes in the number of aircraft operations, passengers and the mix of aircraft fleet. The main purpose of this Part 150 Update is to take a fresh look at the noise impacts from the facility and generate a list of responsive measures to the current environment. Draft contour maps representing the current environment will be presented. The last noise contour maps were completed and approved in 2001.

Following the Public Meeting, the program will be submitted to the FAA for approval. Additional information can be found on the Airport’s website, charlotteairport.com.
Steele Creek Presbyterian Church is located at 7407 Steele Creek Road, just south of Byrum Drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 11:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Okay, call me stupid, but would someone please explain to me why we are spending federal dollars on assessing and in some cases, mitigating noise from airports?

Old 12-15-2008, 11:29 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,894,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Okay, call me stupid, but would someone please explain to me why we are spending federal dollars on assessing and in some cases, mitigating noise from airports?
Did parties involved think that the Charlotte International airport would not grow and have more airplanes? Maybe we should use our tax dollars to send those complaining to take courses in "common sense" instead of looking into the inevitable airport noise problem.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Did parties involved think that the Charlotte International airport would not grow and have more airplanes? Maybe we should use our tax dollars to send those complaining to take courses in "common sense" instead of looking into the inevitable airport noise problem.
I would like to know how much money has been spent, nationwide, on these studies and mitigation projects. I can't believe what our Congress finds to be acceptable ways to spend our tax dollars. Good grief.

The airport has been there a long time . . . and planes have been making noise from Day One. Used to be . . . people knew not to buy property near a Railroad . . . and what is the difference? We need to be spending federal dollars b/c people are just figuring out that airports tend to grow, especially international airports, so thus, they are going to become more noisy over a decade? And we need to spend tax dollars on finding ways to lessen the noise impact? I am sorry. I don't get it.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:46 AM

Good Grief. Here are the facts. Your tax dollars at work.

AIP and PFC Funding Summary for Noise Compatibility Projects (http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/airports/environmental/airport_noise/part_150/funding/ - broken link)

Summary thru/ FY 2008:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Total AIP . . . . . . . . . Total PFC

Preparing Part 150 Studies: $92,958,980 . . . . . . . . $11,989,776

Part 150 Implementation: $5,108,227,093 . . . . . . . $3,136,654,440

(Sorry - formatting doesn't seem to want to hold so see the info on the link)

Old 12-15-2008, 11:48 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,262,030 times
Many of the houses around the airport were built 50 years or more ago when planes were fewer and smaller and runways were fewer and smaller. Noise is an increasing issue. The airport has been buying out properties near the airport as part of this program. (Drive along Byrum Drive & see all the remnant driveways but little else.) They also provide noise-proofing in certain circumstances. They've bought many properties for airport expansion but many others because it was too noisy for people to live there. Eventually the airport will sell some of this land for industrial or other non-residential uses.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Many of the houses around the airport were built 50 years or more ago when planes were fewer and smaller and runways were fewer and smaller. Noise is an increasing issue. The airport has been buying out properties near the airport as part of this program. (Drive along Byrum Drive & see all the remnant driveways but little else.) They also provide noise-proofing in certain circumstances. They've bought many properties for airport expansion but many others because it was too noisy for people to live there. Eventually the airport will sell some of this land for industrial or other non-residential uses.
Exactly. That is what should be done, but it is done on initiative of the airport itself, correct? My question is why federal dollars need to be in the mix.

It would be no different than a college buying up the older homes around it so there will be more land available for expansion. That is an expense that the college has to foot in order to increase their land holdings. That is not something that the federal government should be involved in.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:20 PM

125 posts, read 469,143 times
Construction of the Charlotte Airport was completed in 1936. So unless you've lived there for more than 62 years you have NOTHING to complain about.
I grew up in the flight path of one of the main runways for the Charlotte airport, when we moved in in 1959 the NC Air Guard was flying F-86 Saber Jets, I remember the plates in moms china cabinet rattling when they went over the house. But we didn't whine and cry and carry on. I just loved watching the planes.
When we moved to Union County 20 years ago we bought a house 1/2 from the Monroe airport,
I still love watching the planes....

Ron

Old 12-15-2008, 03:31 PM

I love watching them, too. I was outside taking some pictures a little bit ago - and caught several planes crossing paths (visually) w/ the jet streams. I saw six planes while I was outside just a few minutes and enjoyed watching each one of them. I like hearing the noise, too (but of course, it is only a dull roar - nothing interruptive at all).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: