Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:37 PM

40 posts, read 95,274 times

Advertisements

GONYMETS,
I had the privilege of meeting with several of your neighbors from both Millbridge as well as Edenmoor yesterday and we spoke at length about the concerns that they have including concerns about the HOA dues. The Edenmoor folks have even more significant concerns in that they are tied to tax assessment districts. If this project moves forward, that will be one of the challenges that will need to be worked out in a way that is fair to you and your neighbors and the best way to find that solution is to include representatives from your neighborhood in the process so that your concerns can be effectively addressed at every stage.

I found the homeowners in your neighborhood to be absolutely delightful. Everyone was very enthusiastic about your community as well as the greater Waxhaw area. We spoke at length about the growth that is continuing to come to this area and the challenges inherent in the rapidity of that growth. I am really looking forward to working with your community as we explore this opportunity and others as Waxhaw continues to grow and develop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 09:51 AM

293 posts, read 959,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawlover View Post
GONYMETS,
I had the privilege of meeting with several of your neighbors from both Millbridge as well as Edenmoor yesterday and we spoke at length about the concerns that they have including concerns about the HOA dues. The Edenmoor folks have even more significant concerns in that they are tied to tax assessment districts. If this project moves forward, that will be one of the challenges that will need to be worked out in a way that is fair to you and your neighbors and the best way to find that solution is to include representatives from your neighborhood in the process so that your concerns can be effectively addressed at every stage.

I found the homeowners in your neighborhood to be absolutely delightful. Everyone was very enthusiastic about your community as well as the greater Waxhaw area. We spoke at length about the growth that is continuing to come to this area and the challenges inherent in the rapidity of that growth. I am really looking forward to working with your community as we explore this opportunity and others as Waxhaw continues to grow and develop.
It was pleasure to meet you the other day at our pool. Thank you for coming out to explain your plan personally.
I think it can be a good thing for our community, providing (as a previous poster commented) that our HOA dues do not skyrocket. If it turns out that Millbridge and Edenmoor are build out as much smaller communities than planned, that would be beneficial, especially in this economy. If they are built out with 400-500 homes (just guessing), and jobs are being brought to the area, that would increase our property values as well as future resale. Another good point is that this research park will most likely not be visible for most residents here as it will be beyond the twelve mile creek that is surrounded by trees.
For the posters that "feel sorry" for the residents in Millbridge, please know that we are very happy here. Our neighbors are great, we love the community and our amenities can not be beat!!!!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:35 PM

15 posts, read 26,953 times
I heard about this as well. I understand that Duke University is interested in buying up the property of the home sites not sure of the number, to build a research facility. Heard this was going for discussion with the HOA??

Old 06-14-2009, 10:35 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,395,409 times
Union Co. eyes launch of new business park - Charlotte Business Journal: This has been discussed in media over the last 6-8 months and this 5,000 acre project in Marshville is contingent on the Monroe Bypass being completed. Union County needs to alter the residential/business tax base ratio and large parcels of land focusing on new businesses (with good transportation access) are a good thing. Hopefully it happens.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:26 PM

168 posts, read 481,311 times
Default Research Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawlover View Post
Good question! We're about to find out... Actually, depending on who steps up and how aggressive they are, it could happen very quickly. The NC Biotech campus in Kannapolis went from concept to ribbon-cutting in three years. Of course, they had David Murdock write a big fat check...

This project has the potential to get off the ground very quickly due to a number of factors ranging from the unique advantages of the site to the current heightened focus on stabilizing the economy. If this goes, my completely uneducated guess would be in the 3-7 year range although some activity at the site would likely begin much sooner.

In fact, I hear that there are already some small energy firms that are scouting Waxhaw looking for a place to relocate...

For the record, the residents of Edenmoor and Millbridge would love for the research park to become a reality!!
The Mayor actually spent the day with the residents and discussed the plan.
We felt this would be great for the area, and wonderful for Waxhaw.
It seems some people do not want to move forward with this and get into the 21st Century!
It would really help Downtown Waxhaw.
What about getting Liquor in?? Or is that another story...

Old 06-20-2009, 08:06 PM

If you want to track the progress of this project, check out "Waxhaw Area Research Park" on Facebook.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:51 AM

15 posts, read 26,953 times
I would hope this project would help change the liquor laws since we need restaurants down here

Old 07-02-2009, 12:34 AM

Dear Friends,

You may have been seeing Waxhaw in the news a bit lately but in case you haven’t, the Town of Waxhaw has begun exploring an exciting new idea. The Waxhaw Area Research Park is the working name for a concept that would potentially bring significant levels of quality employment and economic development to our town.

At the May Town Meeting, the Waxhaw Board of Commissioners passed a Resolution expressing interest in the idea of siting a research park, similar to Research Triangle Park, in Waxhaw which work to promote the environment.

But what is a research park?

The International Association of Science Parks defines a science (research) park as “an organization managed by specialized professional, whose main aim is to increase the wealth of its community by promoting the culture of innovation and the competitiveness of its associated businesses and associated knowledge-based institutions. To enable these goals to be met, a Science Park stimulates and manages the flow of knowledge and technology amongst universities, R&D institutions, companies and markets; it facilitates the creation and growth of innovation-based companies through incubation and spin-off processes; and provides other value-added services together with high quality space and facilities.”

The proposed area of focus for this project is energy technology and resource use. The Charlotte region has been waking up to the fact that there are a number of energy-related businesses, both large and small, already in the region after Governor Perdue recently made some remarks referring to Charlotte’s potential to be a regional energy hub. Governor Perdue has also referred to “Green is Gold”, meaning that the next era of innovation and economic opportunity will be focused on better using our natural and man-made resources in a way that is environmentally-sensitive and whole life-cycle analysis. She has also stated that the state that gets “green” right will emerge as an economic and technological leader in the ensuing era. Waxhaw hopes that the Waxhaw Area Research Park will become the nucleus of the “Green Revolution” in North Carolina and beyond.

I am currently engaged in talking with potential stakeholders including our neighboring local governing bodies (towns and counties) as well as the economic development community, energy and resource sector businesses and the academic community. I anticipate bringing to the Waxhaw Board of Commissioners letters of interest from a number of these stakeholders in the next month or two. Letters of support from Waxhaw area residents would be welcome also.

If you are interested in learning more about or assisting with this exciting project, please contact me at mayor@waxhaw.com.

Best,
Daune Gardner
Mayor of Waxhaw

Old 07-02-2009, 01:32 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,879,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Well, in the region there is:

UNC-Charlotte
UNCC proposes center to advance energy field - Charlotte Business Journal:

Clemson
Clemson energy research gets boost with NSF CAREER Award (http://www.clemson.edu/newsroom/articles/top-stories/nsfcareerlinma.php5 - broken link)

There is potential for partnerships, I suppose.
I'm not sure why a university as far away as Clemson would get involved, especially since they're focusing all of their efforts right now on their own research park, ICAR, in Greenville.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:01 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,311,163 times
I'm not sure if this is off topic, but would the WARP provide too much competition just within the Charlotte region? With URP and the Kannapolic research park isn't that competition just within the Charlotte region? I guess my concern is will this project divide the Charlotte region and not allow the Charlotte region to be truly competitive because there is no focus growth? I would love for all areas of the greater Charlotte region to prosper but not at the expense of hurting one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte