Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:06 AM

54 posts, read 139,708 times

Advertisements

I just saw an ad from the devolper in the april village news.. A proposed town center with shops, park, office space, dining, and 94 apartments..

Is that area of providence road really able to handle this? And thoughts on this possible development?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 09:50 AM

825 posts, read 2,819,312 times
I heard on the news that the intersection of 16 and 75 in downtown wxw would be expanded using stimulus money. It might work.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:06 AM

138 posts, read 413,003 times
If approved, it will not be off Providence Rd., but would be interspersed among the existing downtown structures.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:31 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by par4 View Post
If approved, it will not be off Providence Rd., but would be interspersed among the existing downtown structures.
par4 are you saying that interspersing these new structures would not cause increased traffic in Waxhaw, or are you saying if there is an increase it would not effect Hwy 16?

Old 04-19-2009, 04:13 PM

138 posts, read 413,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
par4 are you saying that interspersing these new structures would not cause increased traffic in Waxhaw, or are you saying if there is an increase it would not effect Hwy 16?
At this point I am not sure of the overall impact on traffic. No doubt that any new development in that area would result in increased traffic. The problem is the layout of the area - the roads on either side of the railroad (especially Hwy75) can not be widened appreciably. That being said, the downtown can use "some" development - I would personally like to see more open/green/park space as opposed to any further development of buildings, etc. outside of a new library/town hall center.

I think that adding open/green/park space would enhance the feel and usability of the downtown area while adding to its small town charm - not detracting from it. This would potentially help increase the flow of shoppers, etc. to the downtown area - it also could help spruce up the Farmer's Market.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by par4 View Post
At this point I am not sure of the overall impact on traffic. No doubt that any new development in that area would result in increased traffic. The problem is the layout of the area - the roads on either side of the railroad (especially Hwy75) can not be widened appreciably. That being said, the downtown can use "some" development - I would personally like to see more open/green/park space as opposed to any further development of buildings, etc. outside of a new library/town hall center.

I think that adding open/green/park space would enhance the feel and usability of the downtown area while adding to its small town charm - not detracting from it. This would potentially help increase the flow of shoppers, etc. to the downtown area - it also could help spruce up the Farmer's Market.
Any new development in the area regardless of which side of the tracks would obviously be done to increase pedestrian traffic and shoppers in the retail or service related businesses in Waxhaw, therefore it would increase traffic on 16. Couple that with the development at the Cuthbertson/16 junction and the two new schools, and traffic flow will increase to the point of being problematic. BUT, you are correct, not much can be done about it given the location of the tracks, etc.
I agree with the "more green space" concept, but the library is questionable use of very limited county funds in my mind. Compared to my use of a library when I was in middle and high school, my kids don't know they exist other than for the occasional pleasure read that they choose "rent" not own. Of course, they aren't MENSA candidates either! ha! Most of their research is internet based, not card catalog based.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I agree with the "more green space" concept, but the library is questionable use of very limited county funds in my mind. Compared to my use of a library when I was in middle and high school, my kids don't know they exist other than for the occasional pleasure read that they choose "rent" not own. Of course, they aren't MENSA candidates either! ha! Most of their research is internet based, not card catalog based.
What about reading for pleasure?

Old 04-19-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
What about reading for pleasure?
Covered that base, read it again!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Covered that base, read it again!

Oops.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Oops.
Ha! It's usually me that skims and misses parts of posts!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte