Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 04:13 PM

20 posts, read 48,456 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone. My husband and I are moving to Charlotte. He will be working in research park. We both like living either in the core of a city or in a small town/rural area; neither of us really want to live in suburbia at this point. We are also interested in keeping his commute down to 25 mins or less one way. Can anyone tell me what the commute time looks like to research park from the downtown area where all of the new condos are being built? Also, are there any nice small towns that are short commutes to research park? If neither of these options pan out we would also consider neighborhoods in suburban areas in which you can walk to retail/parks/coffee shop/restaurants- and don't have to drive every place. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 08:26 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,964,680 times
your price point will be key.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:05 PM

We would like to rent the first year and likely buy after a year or so. I'd like to try to keep rent at no more than $1300 per month for 2-3 bedrooms.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:20 PM

Your best bet would be around university area. While it is kinda suburbia it would be hard to find anything Downtown for a 3 bedroom in that price. You maybe able to do a 2 bedroom. Sorry rentals in downtown are not my specialty....

Old 07-11-2008, 06:20 AM

Thanks for the response QC. We may be willing to go up in monthly rent if it's the right place. I'm unsure at this point what rents look like in Charlotte. I am still wondering about the length of commute from the center of the city also.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:44 AM

you would be going the opposite way of traffic in the morning so that should not be to bad. The commute home might be a little worse especially if your living downtown.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:01 PM

I hadn't thought of the fact that it is a reverse commute. That helps some. I keep hearing about how bad Charlotte traffic is.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:03 PM

...its all relative.....

Old 07-11-2008, 03:14 PM

36 posts, read 137,302 times
I commute from just outside downtown to University Research Park and the traffic is not an issue at all. It will take 25 minutes or longer depending on what area but he will not be sitting in traffic. You should definitely be able to find a 2 bedroom apartment in/near downtown for that price but it won't be a huge, brand new place. If you are looking for a house you could find an older house near downtown.
University area is definitely suburbia so I wouldn't recommend living there. If you do want to go the small-town route you could check out Concord. He would be driving with all the traffic going downtown toward Charlotte though.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:06 PM

Thanks for your reply Rmathis. That is really helpful to know what we'd be looking at for commute time. He is used to commuting in northeastern traffic and though we're sure it is a major improvement over that, we are really hoping to position ourselves differently in Charlotte and keep driving to as minimal as possible. I was excited to hear about Charlotte's recent opening of the light rail, but upon further investigation saw it goes the wrong direction for him. So great though that the city is starting that process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: