Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:43 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,089 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have one of these? My wife filled that little vial and stuck it on the door a few weeks ago and the company tested it and guess what, we have horrible water (According to them).

The guy came in tonight and spent 2 hours giving us a presentation about how bad our water is, and what their product can do to soften the water and remove the chlorine. It was VERY expensive and I eventually said no.

The name of the company was Water Treatment Systems.

Something that also bothered me was the guy had to keep calling his boss and letting him know whether I was interested or not. He even offered me a unit that was used at a home show at $3000 off the "new price"

Anyone have any experience?

Jake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 09:07 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Are you using well water? I would assume that if there is an issue with water you are getting from the city / county that this should be their responsibility.

Never heard of one of these whole house filters - I would think it would be a lot less expensive to simply put filters on any taps that you take drinking or cooking water out of.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:26 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,089 times
We use the city water. We seem to think due to taste and smell that there's a lot of chlorine in our water which is why we had it tested.

We are now considering putting a few filters on our taps and maybe our showerheads to soften the water up.

I was curious to see if anyone has ever looked into or purchased a whole house filter

http://www.wtspurewater.com/

Here's the website of the company that came to the house. Like I said it was a major "sales pitch".

Old 03-24-2009, 05:39 AM

338 posts, read 796,599 times
I have used Culligan for water softeners and whole house filters.
Culligan - better water. pure and simple.

They have been around along time.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:17 AM

149 posts, read 410,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Does anyone have one of these? My wife filled that little vial and stuck it on the door a few weeks ago and the company tested it and guess what, we have horrible water (According to them).
Jake,

I guess you confirmed my suspicions. They placed an advert in my mailbox and I instantly beleived that it would be a big sales pitch if I called.

We have a filter on the fridge, and might get one for the kitchen sink. I am not really worried about a filter for the whole house, but I would like on for any tap I will drink from.

thanks

Old 03-24-2009, 08:27 AM

12 posts, read 38,997 times
My company sells air filtration systems and we looked into adding water filtration as a product (we didn't add them). Water systems don't harm anything, but usually aren't necessary. Almost all water including municipal water has low levels of chemicals. If you are looking at a system because the taste is bad, then a system will help. If you are looking at the test results and wondering if it is healthy, then I would compare them to a local or state standard which your water department will have verses listening to a high pressure sales pitch. If you decide to spend the money, then check out a few other companies. On high end systems, Hague, makes a great system. They have a distributor in Denver.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:08 AM

716 posts, read 2,158,482 times
Jake, my husband and I got that thing too, and well...we could smell the sales pitch a mile away, so we didn't give them any samples. (I did keep the little plastic tube for keeping craft supplies in though! Thanks for the free tube, guys!)

We figured it was such a scam that we actually considered running water through our PUR water filter and giving them that and seeing what they said. I had a much more nefarious idea about using unclean toilet water, just because it's funny to imagine the horror if they actually did test the water!

But I digress...

My sister in Granite Quarry has a whole house water filtration system, but her husband installed it himself. I don't know much about it, but given what I know about their finances, I doubt it cost them more than a couple hundred dollars. (Certainly NOT anything that would require a $3000 discount! Yikes!)

We just use the small filters on our taps, and our fridge has one in it too for the water/ice dispenser.

Meck. Co. used to send out a water survey informational flyer every year or two which showed the levels of everything that was in your city water. I recall it being very good, but it's been a while since I've seen one.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:05 PM

248 posts, read 747,608 times
Never thought about whole house filtration since we're in a pretty new house, but I do use a shower filter to get chlorine and other stuff out. Been using one for years and I swear by them - skin feels softer and better than without.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig up the name of the filter.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:54 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,035,294 times
Default aag

What is the name of the filter you use? Thanks.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:05 PM

352 posts, read 518,584 times
We had one of those guys come out to our house......huge mistake on my wife's part.

Surprise Suprise, our water was bad also.

He called his boss a few times to try to "lower the price".....i wouldnt waste your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte