Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 05:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Does anyone have one of these? My wife filled that little vial and stuck it on the door a few weeks ago and the company tested it and guess what, we have horrible water (According to them).

The guy came in tonight and spent 2 hours giving us a presentation about how bad our water is, and what their product can do to soften the water and remove the chlorine. It was VERY expensive and I eventually said no.

The name of the company was Water Treatment Systems.

Something that also bothered me was the guy had to keep calling his boss and letting him know whether I was interested or not. He even offered me a unit that was used at a home show at $3000 off the "new price"

Anyone have any experience?

Jake
Water treatment system is done in Water plants, It cannot be done in houses. In houses water purifiers are being used and prices have gone down.New filters and Ionizer's have arrived in market.I hope this information help you.If any please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 06:04 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
If you are on CMUD, you don't need anything to soften the water as the CLT water is already very soft. I have an expresso machine that is plumbed in and I verified this with both a phone call to CMUD and with a testing kit. (You can get them from the hardware store for a few dollars.)

Old 06-06-2009, 08:39 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,719 times
Hint....they are selling a water treament system. If your water is city supplied, your drinking what everyone is drinking. If it's Well water, your drinking crap.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:52 AM

17 posts, read 39,546 times
I just saw an episode of This Old House about this. It looked like a very simple process (took them 1/2 hour)...you should google it...

Old 06-07-2009, 09:49 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,549,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Hint....they are selling a water treament system. If your water is city supplied, your drinking what everyone is drinking. If it's Well water, your drinking crap.
Can you explain this a little more,particularly the well water bit please?
Thanks!

Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentleejohnson View Post
Water treatment system is done in Water plants, It cannot be done in houses. In houses water purifiers are being used and prices have gone down.New filters and Ionizer's have arrived in market.I hope this information help you.If any please let me know.
Yes, but water treatment and water purification/filtration are different things.Water treatment includes adding chlorine after taking out dirt and heaven knows what else

Old 06-08-2009, 08:03 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,728 times
i am also interested in learning more about that crap well water???
do explain how city water is better than well water.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:14 PM

69 posts, read 162,510 times
Our house in charlotte is on well and the owner before us had a water softening system put in which does make a huge difference, but I never drank the well water, but did cook with it. We also had our well water tested every year with no problems. Some of these companies are scams. You do have to be careful about things seeping into your well water, but that is why you get it tested. Well water is definitely not crap as PP put it, but he might be an expert on well water like he is on the UC area, ya never know. I couldn't imagine you would need a whole house filter for your city water. I would do one that you can hook on to the tap or in the fridge and you'll be fine.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:56 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,391,960 times
My last house had a well and I installed whole house unit. I would recommend sending a water sample to an independent water testing lab that may would be less biased. I found my water to be acidic (high Ph level) and hard with high iron. The acid level over time can eat away at copper pipes maybe over 10-15 years. I did some research and found the reverse osmosis method preferred. I bought a system from Kinetico www.kinetico.com . They have one of the best water treatment systems available and their units are non-electric and low maintenance. Their corp. headqtrs were near where I lived and I have seen their facility and they know what they are doing. For my house they installed a calcium tank (to correct Ph) and filter and salt tank (remove hardness). If I needed to install a system I would use this company again. My system was probably more elaborate than most and it cost me $2500 installed (9 yrs ago). Regarding the need to have correct Ph, there was a private swim/tennis club across the street from me that had this same system but throught the managemnt changes they did not service the unit correctly (add calcium once /yr). They ended up with leaky pipes in the walls and for awhile had no clue of the cause. I am not the most handy guy but I was able to service unit without any problem.

Last edited by ZnGuy; 06-08-2009 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: correct spell

Old 06-08-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
My last house had a well and I installed whole house unit. I would recommend sending a water sample to an independent water testing lab that may would be less biased. I found my water to be acidic (high Ph level) and hard with high iron. The acid level over time can eat away at copper pipes maybe over 10-15 years. I did some research and found the reverse osmosis method preferred. I bought a system from Kinetico www.kinetico.com . They have one of the best water treatment systems available and their units are non-electric and low maintenance. Their corp. headqtrs were near where I lived and I have seen their facility and they know what they are doing. For my house they installed a calcium tank (to correct Ph) and filter and salt tank (remove hardness). If I needed to install a system I would use this company again. My system was probably more elaborate than most and it cost me $2500 installed (9 yrs ago). Regarding the need to have correct Ph, there was a private swim/tennis club across the street from me that had this same system but throught the managemnt changes they did not service the unit correctly (add calcium once /yr). They ended up with leaky pipes in the walls and for awhile had no clue of the cause. I am not the most handy guy but I was able to service unit without any problem.
Hi and thanks for the info.
When we bought our home we were ignorant about well water and can't believe that a water test is not somehting that has to be done as part of a sale. Anyway after an initial hitch with sulphite or sulphate bacteria we have been OK.
What sort of maintenance costs does the system have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte