Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 02:09 PM

58 posts, read 258,194 times

Advertisements

We are going to buy a Puritec whole house water filter this week. I will need a plumber to install it. I am wondering if anyone else had someone install a whole house water filter, and if you did- who? I am not sure if all plumbers will be familiar with this as I don't know that too many people have them. Any idea on the cost to install? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 04:51 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
A lot of the price for installation will be in the labor to route the pipes and possibly power to where ever you are going to put the filter(s). If it is easy I would not guess that it would be more than a couple of hundred bucks but I recommend getting a couple of estimates. The real cost in these systems in the ongoing filter operation. Depending upon the system, filtering the entire house supply can really add up over the course of a year. I've got a two stage filter hooked up to just my plumbed in espresso machine and the cartridges for that add up to $120 or so a year if I changed them as I should.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:26 AM

286 posts, read 1,481,417 times
I take it this filter is a disposable cartridge type. If your water is not visibly dirty, and there are no particulates in it, you don't need a filter because there's no sense in filtering invisible 'dirt' but...

Disposable cartridge types are a bad choice either way.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:32 AM

205 posts, read 239,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowpumpkin View Post
We are going to buy a Puritec whole house water filter this week. I will need a plumber to install it. I am wondering if anyone else had someone install a whole house water filter, and if you did- who? I am not sure if all plumbers will be familiar with this as I don't know that too many people have them. Any idea on the cost to install? Thanks!
I sell water treatment look up kinetico and get them they rest are old technology or they are a ripp off.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:58 AM

205 posts, read 239,493 times
Where did you come up with that??? How do you get spots on your faucets ,cars ,tubs, tiles and scum on showers? You must be an engineer lol
Truth water that comes in to your house should be more refined then the water you use outside?
The water you put in your body should be more refined then the water you flush down the toilet don't you agree? There are 3 classes of water but the city government doesn't want you to know this. Although they have same problem 70% of water that comes into any city goes outside (class C water) used for parks lawns fires and industries 30% goes to home owner (class B water) and we clean things flush toilet with We only drink 1/2 % (class A water) so tell me which water do you think they are interested in? All they can do is add chemicals to water to make quote safe for drinking. That means if women take birth control pills and urinate in city water part of parts per millionth if take illegal or pharmacy drugs part of parts per millionth people have something don't know what to do with it so dump it down sewer again becomes part of ppm. this happens several times a day. If your city has a major break in city water you as a consumer won't know about it till it is too late. after they got their engineers scientist and talked about it for a couple of months They killed people in Milwaukee, Fresno , Kansas City , Cleveland Ohio , San Diego, LA and on on . The problem they haven't found any of us to pay a dollar a gallon to flush our toilet. That is why I am telling you go to Kinetico and call up local dealer and get the system to take out the solids and the first purifier ever to drink. Google Purefecta and you will see that we have the best pordiuct on the market EPA approved. We have better refined gasoline for our cars then water to drink. Bottled water is not always good and clean and had no Government regs on it. If you live in Houston area or for that matter email me Terry

Old 09-03-2009, 09:46 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
^The above gave me a headache trying to figure out what it meant. In Charlotte/Mecklenburg, the water comes from the Catawba river. There are two pumping stations on Mountain Island lake, and a 3rd on Lake Norman at Blythe Landing cleverly disguised as a pergola on the lake.

From what I have been able to determine the water at this point is fairly clean having come from collection from the mountains, and is fairly soft. It gets treated in Huntersville or on a station W. Hwy 16. For the most part, if you are on CMUD, the water is pretty high quality and not much to worry about in terms of drinking it. Hardness seems to run around 30 which isn't that high.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:53 AM

58 posts, read 258,194 times
Thanks for the feedback. I will look into kinetico as well as the Puritec. Union county is beginning to use Chloramines in their water system. We've been wanting a filter for awhile b/c the Chlorine itself is bad, but Chloramines are even more concerning.

So, does anyone who has a filter system know of a plumber who installs?

Old 09-03-2009, 11:12 AM

168 posts, read 505,961 times
Call Culligan or rainsoft. They are pretty much the industry leaders in this area for whole house filtration. I am on a well and I have a somewhat high iron level and had them both price their systems. Be prepared to spend some money. I know you can go to lowes and buy a system for 500 ro 600 hundred but you get what you pay for. Good luck.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:13 AM

168 posts, read 505,961 times
Pressley Plumbing. great sub contractor.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:30 PM

595 posts, read 1,622,579 times
I installed a couple whole house filters that I got from Lowe's. Of course I have a well and I can "see" the dirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte