Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 04:18 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Hi and thanks for the info.
When we bought our home we were ignorant about well water and can't believe that a water test is not somehting that has to be done as part of a sale. Anyway after an initial hitch with sulphite or sulphate bacteria we have been OK.
What sort of maintenance costs does the system have?
The maintenance is really the cost of:
-bags of salt-depends how hard your water is will depend how much salt you use. I went thru a bag (50lbs?) every 8-10 days). Salt will be your biggest expenditure and some places might have good deals (Costco, Sam's) but it seemed like I paid around $5 a bag but haven't checked lately.
-added calcite about every 8 mos. or so
-replaced filter maybe once every 2-3 months. I didn't need to replace it just take out filter (membrane?) and wash with Joy dish liquid and water-so no filter cost.
The unit operating cost was not too much, keep in mind it is also non-electric, works off reverse osmosis.

I had a sprinkler system and I was able to turn a valve so I didn't treat that water as I didn't feel need to have high pure water on my lawn. Now if your iron is real high your sprinkler could cause a rust stain on your concrete. You could avoid this staining by have sprinkler water be treated with household water.
Kinetico is a well known name and you also have a company that will not be out of business a few years down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 11:33 AM

248 posts, read 747,493 times
sorry for the delay in getting back to you on the shower filter - I use the Sprite filter found on waterproducts.com

I can get replacement filters at Amazon for cheap, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte