Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:15 AM

11 posts, read 23,273 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to the Charlotte area in a couple weeks but neither of us have a job yet, were hoping that changes when we actually get there. It seems like alot of people plan on moving there right now so I was wondering what work was like is there any jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 08:17 AM

509 posts, read 1,802,824 times
Why are you moving without a job?!

There are not very many jobs here. Layoffs everywhere are the talk of the day. There have been a lot of posts on this topic.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:18 AM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,904,789 times
Good luck to you. You'll need it!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:20 AM

393 posts, read 1,187,589 times
Depends on what kind of work you do...

Looks like you are coming from Pittsburgh. All I can say is the job outlook is better here than there.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:23 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcity24 View Post
My family and I are moving to the Charlotte area in a couple weeks but neither of us have a job yet...
Do you have jobs now where you live?

Forgive me, but this plan sounds like a horrible idea.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:39 AM

58 posts, read 138,402 times
Im amazed at the people who just decide to move to charlotte, just because....i dont get it.

I like Charlotte, but i got here BECAUSE of work.

The unemployment rate here is 8.7% (NC), PA is 2 points lower... Charlotte itself was 8.9% in December. Pittsburg is 6%

I saw your previous post that you said you were a carpenter. That's got to be tough around here. I dont think there is hardly anything new going up that isnt already started. You missed the boom by 2 years.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:43 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,826,415 times
I would say you need at least a minimum of 6 months saved up and that will be if your lucky to find something. I read a comment where a gal has sent out over 300 resume's and has had only 1 interview! I am going on 5 months now and not a job in sight and not 1 interview. If you have a job, keep it while you try to find one here. I have never known personally so many people/friends/family/neighbors that are out of work, here and in So Cal.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:58 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
STEELCITY: Our unemployment rate does not reflect thousands of people who are contract workers and who have lost their contracts. I sincerely mean it - our unemployment rate is most likely well over 9% right now, but the government does not include a lot of people who are out of work. And by the end of this first quarter, I am sure even the government stats will show close to 10% unemployment in Charlotte. People with college degrees are scrambling to get retail jobs that pay less than $13 an hour. I am not exaggerating.

Anyone in the construction trade is in a bad situation, w/ crews being laid off and contractors having left the area or going bankrupt - or simply having no work. A neighbor is a sheetrock installer and he has not worked since October. Luckily, his wife has a good paying job that she is afraid of losing b/c she works for one of our banks - and they are laying off.

We have several members on this forum who are contractors, painters, carpenters and they post that they are currently out of work and no prospects on the horizon.

The state's employment security commission is out of money! That means, those unemployment checks have been such a drain - our state ran out of money to write the checks! Think about that! So we had to borrow money from the Federal gov't (and how long will that last?) Things are NOT in a good situation here but the media is evidently not reporting the real story.

People arrive thinking - well, I can work as a waitress. NOT! Restaurants are closing, cutting back staff . . . and people are not tipping as well as in the past (according to what posters have told us here). Retail jobs are drying up, too. Staff is being cut back and with unemployed people willing to take what openings there are, the applicants far exceed the openings. Even teaching jobs are being cut back and in many cases, on a freeze.

I don't know what made you decide to move here . . . but you really need to re-think this move.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:13 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcity24 View Post
My family and I are moving to the Charlotte area in a couple weeks but neither of us have a job yet, were hoping that changes when we actually get there. It seems like alot of people plan on moving there right now so I was wondering what work was like is there any jobs?
If I remember correctly, you're looking at the western counties. If I'm correct, I have heard that there is a new big Ingles supermarket that is opening or just opened in Dallas. Maybe you or your wife can get a job there.

There's also a big Ingles in Kings Mountain that has been open since Sept. & is 24 hrs.

Do you have a place to move into (not looking to pry into details)?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:22 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
If I remember correctly, you're looking at the western counties. If I'm correct, I have heard that there is a new big Ingles supermarket that is opening or just opened in Dallas. Maybe you or your wife can get a job there.

There's also a big Ingles in Kings Mountain that has been open since Sept. & is 24 hrs.

Do you have a place to move into (not looking to pry into details)?
Glad you are more perceptive than I am, SB, cause at least if they are moving to someplace OUTSIDE the Charlotte region, they may have a better chance of finding work.

Good suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte