Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:12 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times

Advertisements

Does anyone up here do this for the holidays? If so, how do you do it?? Do you leave an envelope out or something??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 10:58 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
I would try to meet them at the truck with a tip. I live on a very quiet street but I still wouldn't leave it stuck to the can or mailbox. Besides, something like that seems nicer when given personally.

I admit to not being a holiday tipper but even if I was....we don't have the same garbage men every week, or even the same mailman. I think they must rotate routes because I do see the same guys over several weeks/months, but not the same every week. Sometimes there are just 2 guys, sometimes as many as 4. We also have separate recycle and garbage men so I would easily be looking at 15 or so people to tip if I wanted to tip everyone who has been here through the year.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:23 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
NCyank - same here. I do not tip b/c it would be totally random as to who would get it and that doesn't seem right. I have never had a clue how to handle this. One year, I was able to catch our mail delivery person at the mailbox and give her a Christmas ornament as a gift. She is our most frequent mail person. But unless I can catch her and put a gift in her hands . . . I don't want to leave a tip in an envelope for a substitute to pick up. It is a dilemma.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:25 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Tip the garbage men? Part of my property taxes pay for that service. They definitely don't deserve any extra.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:02 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Tip the garbage men? Part of my property taxes pay for that service. They definitely don't deserve any extra.
I think it depends on the garbage man. If you have the same person and they go out of their way to help out if you have unusual amounts of garbage to pick up, or if they do their job very well, then I don't see why not. Plenty of people that receive tips get paid by taxes, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve extra if they provide exceptional service.

Tipping isn't about what somebody makes from their paycheck or whether that money comes from their taxes, it's a way to thank someone that does a job that affects you personally and does that job well.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:12 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
Quote:
+1

I tip the news carrier and the mail man, but I just cannot tip the sanitation engineer. When I get home on trash days my two bins are either in the middle of the street or in the neighbor's yard. Granted I do live in a cul-de-sac which probably makes it harder to operate that new fangled crane they have now (as opposed to a driver and two hands working the hopper like it was for decades).

Old 12-15-2008, 12:22 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Hte only time I ever tipped the garbage guys was when I moved into a house and ripped out all the carpeting. We did it ourselves and met the garbage truck at the curb and asked them if they could back up into the driveway to get it for $20 each. They were happy to help. Maybe that's not really a tip? but it sure solved my problem, as we stained the concrete slab to look like stone (not more carpet).

Old 12-26-2009, 10:54 PM

5 posts, read 34,021 times
Default tipping

Quote:
dont deserve anything extra? obviously you are a 30 something who thinks everyone owes him or her a living sure you pay for it in property taxes and sure tipping is of course optional but and its a very big but dont expect anything extra like when you renovate your yuppie bathroom and want the garbage man to take away all that inconveinent garbage in front of your house im sure where you live there are rules to collecting your garbage you want us to take all that crap outta there cause your having the selfish yuppies over for a party ?then you gotta pay for breaking the rules son .dont tll a garbage man youll take care of him "nexttime '" cause hell remember believe me garbage men dont forget ever they may have 3000 homes to collect but believe me he will remember you andthats why youll find garbage on the street in front of your house because if you put out alot of stuff the whole year and then give him nothing for cristmas he will remember you asking him to break the rules all year for you and them you dont tip him?? your cheap and obviously clueless thats what i cant stand about you yuppis or whatever you call yourselves remember the garbage man will never not do the right thing by you if you do the right thing by him dont get me wrong a person who puts out 1 or 2 pails a week in garbage is indeed doing his job and really shouldnt get anything extra unless you want to but to the many people who want the garbage man to take everything including the kitchen sink for free remember there are rules and rules must be followed so dont cry or complain when the garbage man dont take all your stuff youd be surprised at how much a little gratuity goes in the long run do yourself a favor and tip the man because he knows what you eat drink bad habits etc you got money for that? you got money to tip your garbage man . dont think its "part of your taxes " fallacy please . dont make the mistake of thinking the garbage man wont remember your house he will remember your house for 50 years down the road he will remember that you are a cheapass so do the right thing before you buy those smokes or drugs or booze or whatever give the man a tip you will not regret it

Old 12-26-2009, 11:36 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,808,564 times
So Joey, did you really just run a search for "garbage" to dredge this thread up?

Old 12-27-2009, 08:57 AM

5 posts, read 34,021 times
no im a garbage man i was curious to see how many people tip no matter people will do what they want anyway sure its lucrative and i do find some neat stuff but also you deal with the weather rain snow etc but we know that going in just as a police officer or a fireman knows what they are getting themselves into when they sign up for a good job all of us heroes ??? no the men who stormed normandy are my point is that if you want exceptional service you should tip hey ive had people say to me that they cant afford a tip but they are appreciative about the service we provide thats all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte