Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:04 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times

Advertisements

I never tipped at Showmars, but only because it was fast food (and seldom had I seen any fellow patrons leave anything on the tables). Yet, I got into a conversation with a server the other day, who made a passing comment about the tipping habits of customers.

Do y'all tip at Showmars? If so, how much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 10:13 AM

569 posts, read 1,410,107 times
At Showmars it depends for me. If the person adds value to the experience (actually does refill my drink and bring me extra napkins). Then I will tip a buck or so. If all they do is drop off the drinks and walk away, I do not tip.

I hope I am correct in this but, I always thought the people at Showmars got a higher hourly wage and not the standard server wage that most wait staff earn.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:24 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,024,540 times
Depends on which showmars, a couple of them are true waitstaff served for a sit down email, those I tip normally.

Where you order the food and it is brought to you, i tip something occasionally but not every time.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:24 AM

247 posts, read 378,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I never tipped at Showmars, but only because it was fast food (and seldom had I seen any fellow patrons leave anything on the tables). Yet, I got into a conversation with a server the other day, who made a passing comment about the tipping habits of customers.

Do y'all tip at Showmars? If so, how much?
I have always tipped $2 or so, only because the waitress does bring your food and then clear it away. I think the level of service depends on the Shomars location, like the one on 3rd Street is fairly different from all of the other Uptown locations.

We go to Shomars at least once a week for lunch, usually on a Friday for the fish special at Charlotte Plaza. We love the place!

Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
If a server brings you the food and or refills your drink they deserve a tip.

I always tip at Showmars usually two dollars per person at the table.

Sometimes more at the East Blvd location the Greek lady is a trip if I get her.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:42 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
Thank you all , for your input!

Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 AM

958 posts, read 1,725,001 times
I tip a dollar per each person at the table.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM

162 posts, read 228,735 times
I use to always tip there, because they come back and forth and check on our party just like a wait staff should. I'm that person that needs extra sauces and napkins so I have to tip between. It ranges between $3 to $8 depending on ther service and amount of people at our table. 2 weeks ago I went to a different showmars and they didnt even offer a refill so I didnt leave a tip. I guess it's a case by case situation.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:56 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
I always tip when anyone visits my table, brings my drink and asks if I need anything. It may be a nominal tip at a buffet type place or over 18 percent at a good place and depending on service. But, yes, I would tip the waitresses at Showmars.Besides, any time a waitress asks to see my I.D. after ordering a beer (E. Boulevard), she deserves a big tip.

By the way NDL, we had a very nice time in Greenville, S.C. The city was very nice and we spent lots of money eating and drinking. We didn't make it to some places mentioned but will next time.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:35 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,905 times
If we eat at the table and are served by a waiter or waitress, then yes a regular and customary tip is expected. If we pickup at the counter, it isn't.

Interestingly, as a comparison, if you go to Japan and eat in a restaurant, then you do not leave a tip. It's considered to be rude as good service is expected as a matter of honor. A wait person would be embarrassed by the leaving of a tip. However you don't get away Scott free (can we still say that in this PC culture?) on this. It's also customary for them to bring out a small nondescript appetizer whether you want it or not and you have to pay for it. It's called a table charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte