Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Is that for one meal? A couple bucks is 20%+ at a buffet or Showmars.
I don't think a 20% tip is necessary for a buffet style restaurant (or a Showmars for that matter), although several posters rightly pointed out the need to recompense the waitstaff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 10:04 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,126,398 times
At Showmars on East Blvd, they bring me my food and never ever let me run out of my drink. So yes, I leave my customary 20% for good service.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:30 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Is that for one meal? A couple bucks is 20%+ at a buffet or Showmars.

Is that attendant being paid to do that job?

I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate here, but I seldom get tips for doing my job(s).
Actually, I'm betting he's not making much, certainly not minimum wage, so I don't mind leaving a tip.

Tipping well is like banking good karma

Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
At Showmars on East Blvd, they bring me my food and never ever let me run out of my drink. So yes, I leave my customary 20% for good service.
I agree, the staff at the East Blvd location is top notch, especially greek lady I forget her name but I seen her working at the Yassou Festival. I tip good there then go across the street to Caribou and tip the barista for my latte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
That's an interesting hybrid ... there is a little more service than merely bussing tables at K&W. I'm sure tips are appreciated but when I've been to K&W, I didn't see people leaving tips on the trays.
I always tip at K&W, I will forever miss the Cornelius location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
I know what you mean, but at the same time they often offer this service at Chickfila, yet I don't think a tip is either warranted or expected.

At Showmars half the time my food is presented to me by the cashier & half the time a server brings it - surely a wait-person isn't/shouldn't be denied an opportunity to make money because the cashier/manager/kitchen are doing a great job and are able to present me with my food right at the counter.

I left $1.00 on the table earlier this week basically out of confusion. Glad I'm not the only one.
I sat in ChickFila and wonder that but after seeing how the CEO is funneling his money they will never get my business again.

I think there different set ups at certain Showmars. The East Blvd location has wait staff to take your orders and the Huntersville does for their breakfast.

At BBQ restaurants in Lexington they have curb side service, where you honk for service (I think that is neat) and I tip for that.

At Sonic it usually just whatever the change left over.

Speaking on the buffet style, I was perplexed when I ate at Vapiano now a bartender is involved, I cant remember how I did that.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-04-2012 at 07:15 AM..

Old 10-04-2012, 06:52 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,262,030 times
I often eat at places where you order at a counter and they bring the food. Often, they have a tip jar at the counter. I also go to buffet places, like Golden Corral. I tip if I'm in the mood. Or sometimes I'll not tip on one trip and be generous on the next, if I know the same person is getting the tip all the time. One factor I look at is whether the dishes are disposable and I take them to the trash myself or if they require washing and I leave them on the table for someone to take away. But I don't tip at these places at the same rate as a full service restaurant.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,943 times
Quote:
I sat in ChickFila and wonder that but after seeing how the CEO is funneling his money they will never get my business again.
I eat at Chik-Fil-A often because they have an awesome sandwich and I love their CEO.
If they serve me, I leave a tip.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 AM

35 posts, read 61,794 times
I don't leave a tip because of how much they make an hour. I leave a tip because if they did a good job - at whatever it was - why shouldn't I give them a tip? Shows my appreciation for them. I give what I feel is appropriate... may be 15%, may be 40%... I've been known to have an $8 bill and leave servers a $5 tip

Old 10-04-2012, 07:09 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually, I'm betting he's not making much, certainly not minimum wage, so I don't mind leaving a tip.

Why would that person not be making minimum wage?

Old 10-04-2012, 07:10 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,132,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

I agree! I've never eaten at Showmars, but at places like that I always tip. It's rewarding just knowing that a couple bucks can make a big difference to someone.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:41 AM

35 posts, read 61,794 times
Quote:
Why would that person not be making minimum wage?
Minimum wage for servers is different from minimum wage for regular workers, and the restaurant is supposed to supplement their pay to make up for the difference between what they made (combined with tips) and minimum wage...

So really, if it's a slow day, they kinda get screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte