Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 01:59 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
There really is nothing special about, its a step above fast food. A quick bite to eat, should be inexpensive, breakfest all day. And you have not lived if you haven't eaten at one at 2 am drunk as a skunk.
So, it might not be all that you remember (food/service quality wise) anyway.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:22 PM

810 posts, read 2,292,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
So, it might not be all that you remember (food/service quality wise) anyway.
Well, those days are far behind me, don't worry I've been plenty of other times to remember. It was always a decent choice for a quick lunch. Diner, pizza, deli or fast food. Our little security blankets are gone.

I think Eddie's is the closest thing to a NJ diner, except it would be in a stand alone chrome building.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:32 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,059,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
What in the name of god is special about a N.Y., N.J. "diner"? No offense, but I have been to many. Typically they serve bad greasy food, service is lousy, and customers talk while eating and food is falling out of their mouths. And, there's rarely grits. They need to build it on the far side of Warsaw unless it is some sort of upgraded version. Good luck though.
It's a place that you can take the kids to after church on Sunday and not have to pay upwards of $50 and it's also the same place where you can go wind down after a night of clubbing. An inexpensive restaurant that's open 24 hours. There's just something special about being able to hang out for hours with friends and not spending a fortune and having a huge menu of food to choose from along side some enormous homemade desserts.

Unless it was part of the culture you grew up with, you really can't understand it.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:37 PM

Just like Seinfeld

Old 07-14-2008, 02:43 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
Just like Seinfeld
I completely understand.

But I now have tried two things that transplants enjoy.

Last year I tried Good Old Days after the rave reviews here, even though we had tried it before and were sorely disappointed. We figured maybe we did not give it a fair shot, since so many enjoy it. The place was filthy, the menu is huge, but everything was mediocre at best (pretty sure most things were microwaved), but I will say the service was great.

Last week we went to Brooklyn Pizza Parlor.
It was good, but no better or worse than the 'Ny Style' pizza we have been eating at Avanti at the Arboretum since it opened in the late 80s.

Today someone who moved from LI said they do not miss Ny Pizza anymore since they found Costco pizza.

I want to trust 'youse guys', but am running out of the ability.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:52 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,320 times
Quote:
I completely understand.

Last year I tried Good Old Days after the rave reviews here, even though we had tried it before and were sorely disappointed. We figured maybe we did not give it a fair shot, since so many enjoy it. The place was filthy, the menu is huge, but everything was mediocre at best (pretty sure most things were microwaved), but I will say the service was great.

It was good, but no better or worse than the 'Ny Style' pizza we have been eating at Avanti at the Arboretum since it opened in the late 80s.

Today someone who moved from LI said they do not miss Ny Pizza anymore since they found Costco pizza.

I think that was a shot at the transplants. I suspect that Costco's pizza is not even as good as Papa Johns or Pizza Hut.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I completely understand.

Yo, you tawkin ta me?

Uggg, I might need help.

Put it this way, nobody has ever come up to me and said "Hey you have to try this diner." The question would be "What's a decent diner around here." same with pizza, its just comfort food.

I can promise you when this diner open, even if us yanks say its the real deal, you will not be impressed.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:58 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Nope and Coupon your right about that no GRITZ at a true diner....

Old 07-14-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Nope and Coupon your right about that no GRITZ at a true diner....
If you want grits in the north just asked the Yuppies who are over paying for it, they just call it Polenta, then think they are trendy

Old 07-14-2008, 03:07 PM

620 posts, read 2,119,097 times
First of all, you don't go to a diner for a gourmet meal. You go because it is cheap, the menu is huge and you get a lot of food, the food is really good for what it is, it is open 24 hours, and it has that nostalgic feel to it. Some even have a jukebox at every booth. Good Ole Days does not count. There is nothing here like a diner in NY/NJ, but I don't expect there to be one. If you want to try one and understand what it is like, you have to go if your in NY/NJ. Like someone else said, if you didn't grow up with it, you probably wouldn't understand. The only place in the South that I have found a real diner is in Atlanta, GA: The Landmark Diner on Roswell Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte